Author Topic: Experimental build of SeaMonkey  (Read 60048 times)

roberto

• View Profile
Re: Experimental build of SeaMonkey
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2017, 08:58:10 pm »
In mail config in *disk space* fail with error.
saludos

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2017, 11:00:06 pm »
@Roberto
You mean the item about when to compact? Do you have much free space?
Also about your profile creation problem, can you compare the SM created profile to the FF one? New profile works fine here.
Also perhaps start seamonkey like
Code: [Select]
seamonkey 2>&1 | tee seamonkey.logand see if anything interesting gets written in the log when creating a profile.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:52:26 pm by Dave Yeo »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2017, 05:41:50 am »
The F11 thing was fixed a few months back by Bitwise and works fine here, same with the full screen switch in ytplayer.
Perhaps under special arrangements but not generally. Using F11 with this particular build it tries to fake some kind of full screen area usage. In fact the current code only removes the window decorations at maximises the parent window class. Switching back with F11 doesn't restore all decorations - only the titlebar but no frame. I don't want to list all issues with PM and C/C++ pointer insanity here. Drag and Drop is the best way to kill the whole application - a nice feature for small systems - no need for a process killer app - a small animated gif works sometimes more reliable.  8)Unfortunately automated interactive testing for several hours is not doable at all.

Interesting, full screen has consistently worked the same here since Netscape 4.61 with the exception of 45.5 where it was broken.
Drag and drop usually works fine here though there has been an issue for the longest time where if you do it too quick, the browser crashes. Perhaps on faster hardware, too quick isn't so quick anymore.

You are right about the volume control not working, at least with KAI_AUTOMODE=DART which is the default
Inside the context of JS code it works, but it doesn't control the volume for the used audio device.
[\quote]

Doesn't work on other video sites such as the NFB (National Film Board of Canada) site. Still better then Linux where I couldn't get any sound out of SM and ended up using Chromium.

I see that at least you seem to have it localized.
No, only poorly soldered. I don't know from which source your lightning 4.7.9 came from. The last release in this line was version 4.7.8. So the existing german xpi should already work.
[/quote]

The lightning source was in the tree when I downloaded the source.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2017, 01:27:10 pm »

Interesting, full screen has consistently worked the same here since Netscape 4.61 with the exception of 45.5 where it was broken.
Drag and drop usually works fine here though there has been an issue for the longest time where if you do it too quick, the browser crashes. Perhaps on faster hardware, too quick isn't so quick anymore.

I doubt that this has anything to do with speed. I would think that this depends on the windows that are crossed when you drag stuff. This sounds much like a bug in a window procedure getting a notification that something is dragged across it and then accessing the dnd info in the wrong way, eventually crashing either the drag source or drag target application. It's also possible that the crossed window does everything ok but the drag source reacts in the wrong way when the crossed window establishes some handshaking with the drag source /notifies the drag source.
I would not be surprised if the error still exists. You just have not reproduced the right scenario for it to happen.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:29:17 pm by Lars »

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2017, 02:32:48 pm »
I have only tried one video that I had had issues with and it worked.  However, the menu bar is changed.  The menu items appear to be highlighted (for want of a better term) such that I just see grey boxes unless I run the mouse over them and then I can see the words.

That's strange. Do you have layout.frame_rate set to something besides zero? I see something similar in the profile manager where the person icon doesn't display until I mouse over them but once my profile loads, things are fine.
I did revert menu.css to the version from 38ESR to try to fix the menu check icon, see https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/252
I use layout_frame_rate set to 59 or 60 (have used both with the same results with the menu bar).  The menu items are only visible while the mouse hovers over the specific item and then it goes grey again after removing the mouse (unless the menu bar is dropped down and then it stays while the menu is open).
When I get a chance, I'll look at the menu.css and see if something stands out.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2017, 03:20:37 pm »
You mean the item about when to compact?
Nothing with compact
Do you have much free space?
Yes, I have it

Also about your profile creation problem, can you compare the SM created profile to the FF one? New profile works fine here.
Need more time for this, only if it is necessary.
Also perhaps start seamonkey like
Code: [Select]
seamonkey 2>&1 | tee seamonkey.log[\code]
and see if anything interesting gets written in the log when creating a profile.
[/quote]
I attached the file seamonkey.log and the corresponding trp file.
saludos

ak120

« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2017, 02:10:00 am »
So which method you're using to switch Netscape to "full screen". F11 wasn't implemented there...

F11 Full screen has the following issues now:
* lost focus
* no redraw (until manually switched by using the window list")
* no restore after switching back using F11 instead fixed window size without borders with same redraw issues
* total PS madness

I cross-checked and it can be reproduced.

Also the last Windows (2.49) release has a related issue. While using the browser window in F11 full screen the YT player cannot maximise to real full screen (for video playback).

The real full screen (for video playback) never worked under OS/2. Instead the same non-working F11 method is invoked.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2017, 05:14:00 am »
I have only tried one video that I had had issues with and it worked.  However, the menu bar is changed.  The menu items appear to be highlighted (for want of a better term) such that I just see grey boxes unless I run the mouse over them and then I can see the words.

That's strange. Do you have layout.frame_rate set to something besides zero? I see something similar in the profile manager where the person icon doesn't display until I mouse over them but once my profile loads, things are fine.
I did revert menu.css to the version from 38ESR to try to fix the menu check icon, see https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/252
I use layout_frame_rate set to 59 or 60 (have used both with the same results with the menu bar).  The menu items are only visible while the mouse hovers over the specific item and then it goes grey again after removing the mouse (unless the menu bar is dropped down and then it stays while the menu is open).
When I get a chance, I'll look at the menu.css and see if something stands out.
Somehow, I had gotten switched to Metal Lion SeaMonkey theme... I don't remember doing it but must have been playing with it at some point, Seamonkey Default Theme works fine.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2017, 06:13:09 am »
It all works fine here though it does have the same problem as Windows in not going to full screen from kiosk (F11) mode. Here's screenshots of the full screen video I get when clicking the full screen thingie at the bottom right of the video and the F11 results. Both restore fine to a window though restoring from F11 leaves the page somewhat up the page so I have to scroll down to get to where I was.
I seem to have mis-remembered about Netscape supporting F11 but current SM F11 full screen looks almost the same as doing it with SM 1.19.

ps had to resize the images to half size, the thing at the bottom of the fullscreen shot is the noscript bar

ak120

« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2017, 02:52:39 pm »
It all works fine here though it does have the same problem as Windows in not going to full screen from kiosk (F11) mode.
F11 full screen worked with your sm 2.7.2 build. Later it became broken in several ways.

Here's screenshots of the full screen video I get when clicking the full screen thingie at the bottom right of the video and the F11 results.
The picture doesn't show a full screen for video playback. I cannot recognise what's on the bottom there? Also the dimensions are strange for full screen.

Both restore fine to a window though restoring from F11 leaves the page somewhat up the page so I have to scroll down to get to where I was.
The behaviour is not consistent. Using a sized window and using F11 twice seems to work reliably. But starting with a maximised window and using F11 only restores to the defined size not to the maximised window. With Seamonkey 2.7.2 it's acceptable, only new started AVIO applications should causes redraw timing problems. With external NSPR in latest builds it's totally broken. No switch back for the window for video playback from forced foreground to the normal behavour seems to be the most annoying issue. So it's child windows are in the background and quite unusable.

I seem to have mis-remembered about Netscape supporting F11 but current SM F11 full screen looks almost the same as doing it with SM 1.19.
You can run netscape with the parameter -k to use the kiosk mode.

ps had to resize the images to half size, the thing at the bottom of the fullscreen shot is the noscript bar
A lot of add-ons have drawing problems with the broken standard theme under OS/2 now.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2017, 07:25:41 pm »
It all works fine here though it does have the same problem as Windows in not going to full screen from kiosk (F11) mode.
F11 full screen worked with your sm 2.7.2 build. Later it became broken in several ways.

Here's screenshots of the full screen video I get when clicking the full screen thingie at the bottom right of the video and the F11 results.
The picture doesn't show a full screen for video playback. I cannot recognise what's on the bottom there? Also the dimensions are strange for full screen.

My screen is 1680x1050 and I just halved the dimensions to shrink the screenshot. The thing at the bottom of the screen is the noscript thing that says that some scripts are forbidden.

Both restore fine to a window though restoring from F11 leaves the page somewhat up the page so I have to scroll down to get to where I was.
The behaviour is not consistent. Using a sized window and using F11 twice seems to work reliably. But starting with a maximised window and using F11 only restores to the defined size not to the maximised window. With Seamonkey 2.7.2 it's acceptable, only new started AVIO applications should causes redraw timing problems. With external NSPR in latest builds it's totally broken. No switch back for the window for video playback from forced foreground to the normal behavour seems to be the most annoying issue. So it's child windows are in the background and quite unusable.

OK, starting out with a maximized window, I can reproduce what your seeing, and yes it is very broken, needing the WPS reset and SM restarted to recover.
Interestingly, I reproduced it with Firefox, but after restarting the computer and reinstalling Firefox, Firefox seems to work properly.

You can run netscape with the parameter -k to use the kiosk mode.

A lot of add-ons have drawing problems with the broken standard theme under OS/2 now.

I haven't noticed that, though I haven't used many add-ons.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2017, 07:43:24 pm »

I attached the file seamonkey.log and the corresponding trp file.
saludos

Seems to be crashing when trying to load or check the Java plugin.
Two things you could try. Removing the Java plugin, or easier, just temporarily setting MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH to nothing, perhaps by remming it out in config.sys.
And trying just replacing blocklist.xml in your SM profile with the one from the Firefox profile.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2017, 11:09:19 am »
As you propose when removing from the Moz_plugin_path in config. sys the problem is resolved. And now when you close the Seamonkey it closes properly.
Saludos

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2018, 02:59:21 pm »
Hi All

I am using the current SeaMonkey/2.42.9esr which has just started displaying a "nag message" on starting about this build of Seamonkey being old and I should check for updates.

How do I get rid of the "nag message"?

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2018, 03:14:01 pm »
Haven't seen that. Try going to about:config, search for app.update, and toggle app.update.auto and/or app.update.enabled to false.
Let me know if it works and I can change the defaults.