Public Discussions > General Discussion

OS/2 application developers

(1/6) > >>

A. Demetrious Sharpe, Sr.:
Hello all,

Are there many application developers still active in the OS/2 community? If so, what API features would you like to see present if there were a 64-bit implementation of the OS/2 API? What features would you like to see removed from the OS/2 API?

Andi B.:
I know you will not like my answer but you've asked -

--- Quote --- If so, what API features would you like to see present if there were a 64-bit implementation of the OS/2 API?
--- End quote ---
All.

--- Quote --- What features would you like to see removed from the OS/2 API?
--- End quote ---
None.

:-)

Martin Iturbide:
Hi Demetrius

That is a difficult question because a developer will request to have the same experience on a clone implementation, so you will get the "all" answer. Implementing or cloning all is a very difficult task. I would recommend you to stick on the main APIs of OS/2 (CPI, PM). Maybe the first step will be try to replicate the CPI API  maybe trying to reuse some things from the OS2Linux project.

After you got some of the CPI API working it may lead to continue with the rest that it is on top, like PM.

Regards

--- Quote from: Andi B. on December 06, 2017, 12:54:23 pm ---I know you will not like my answer but you've asked -

--- Quote --- If so, what API features would you like to see present if there were a 64-bit implementation of the OS/2 API?
--- End quote ---
All.

--- Quote --- What features would you like to see removed from the OS/2 API?
--- End quote ---
None.

:-)

--- End quote ---

Fair enough lol

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on December 06, 2017, 01:02:27 pm ---Hi Demetrius

That is a difficult question because a developer will request to have the same experience on a clone implementation, so you will get the "all" answer. Implementing or cloning all is a very difficult task. I would recommend you to stick on the main APIs of OS/2 (CPI, PM). Maybe the first step will be try to replicate the CPI API  maybe trying to reuse some things from the OS2Linux project.

After you got some of the CPI API working it may lead to continue with the rest that it is on top, like PM.

Regards

--- End quote ---

Most likely, there would be additional changes as the API becomes 64-bit. Sure, compatibility for a lot of older programs may be achievable, but I'm not really focused on the older programs -I'm looking at 64-bit OS/2 the way Microsoft looked at 64-bit Windows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version