Author Topic: openvpn configuration?  (Read 476 times)

Michael Snyder

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
openvpn configuration?
« on: December 09, 2017, 01:42:32 pm »
I see that there is a port of openvpn in the unix ports section of Netlabs Projects.  I can't tell who created it, maintains it, or how to configure it.  I have openvpn working on a Linux box, but don't know where to put the pieces in ArcaOS5.  Can anyone offer some knowledge about this?

Pete

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
    • View Profile
Re: openvpn configuration?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 04:22:53 pm »
Hi Michael

I must admit to not knowing anything about openvpn myself so had a quick look.

Looking at the webpage http://trac.netlabs.org/ports/wiki/openvpn I think the sections Reporting Bugs and Credits are the closest answers to the "who created it, maintains it" questions - although it is more a case of who ported it rather than created it.

Looking at the zip file contents I would guess that the executable can be placed in a directory of your choice.
The supporting dll files look like they should be in the \user\lib\ directory - possibly on the boot drive if that directory does not already exist on your system and possibly added to the LibPath. You may have to experiment a little.

Due to lack of docs included I suggest you check out the links found in the Community section of the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVPN - hopefully you will get some clues about configuration from those links.

Regards

Pete

Michael Snyder

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 06:50:55 pm »
I put the executable in x:/etc/openvpn, and also put one of the config files from a vpn provider that I have set up on a linux box in the same directory.  I put the .dlls in x:/usr/lib.  Openvpn actually starts and asks for my userid and password, but then gives several error messages that I don't understand or know how to deal with that have to do with routing and gateway information.  I suspect that I need someone who understands OS/2, rather than Linux or Windows, to help me with those.

Thanks for the information.  I'll look there.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 255
  • -Receive: 49
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 08:22:09 pm »
Hi Michael.

I also have zero experience with openvpn. Maybe you can post the several error messages that it produce. Maybe someone may see those errors familiar.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 09:15:48 pm »
The chance is low for your case, but Cisco routers are that much popular, that it may be of interest for some people:

Maybe you are trying to connect to a Cisco router. That can only work, if you also have the IPSec protocol available, which doesn't exist for OS/2, AFAIK.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 18
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • OS/2 Site
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 02:20:42 pm »
Injoy Firewall has IPSec support, see http://www.bitwiseworks.com/
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Andreas Kohl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 9
    • View Profile
    • warpserver.de
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 02:51:12 pm »
The chance is low for your case, but Cisco routers are that much popular, that it may be of interest for some people:

Maybe you are trying to connect to a Cisco router. That can only work, if you also have the IPSec protocol available, which doesn't exist for OS/2, AFAIK.
The 32-bit version of MPTS contains SSL and IPSec. Quite easy to check on a system with OS/2 TCP/IP Security Services.