Author Topic: Is there OS/2 specific way to deploy a desktop system SSD?  (Read 6921 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Is there OS/2 specific way to deploy a desktop system SSD?
« on: December 28, 2017, 06:30:18 am »
As the subject says, is there anything here I need to be aware of?

I am talking a Samsung 850 EVO drive, 250 GB, SATA interface. It is going to replace my WD VelociRaptor SATA drive.

Reason why I am asking is that I do (faintly) recall some stipulation that on the SDDs one has to carefully align the partition boundaries??? There of course is no OS/2 TRIM support, some of the newer motherboard BIOSes support something like TRIM, which means the OS level device driver becomes irrelevant, but I am not at that stage yet.

For now, I simply want to move my spinning drive to the SDD.

Any hints, suggestions, or "do not do this" would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: Is there OS/2 specific way to deploy a desktop system SSD?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:01:24 am »
There is nothing you have to know. Trim is in the firmware. Our driver doesn't need to know. If your SATA hard drive works, your SATA SSD will work.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 08:30:01 pm »
Most modern SSD have integrated "garbage collector" process.
Just check the SSD has it.
Prevent use of swap file on the SSD (a lot of write operation may reduce time life but priviledge MLC SSD instead of TLC for increased To write operations) 

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 11:46:15 pm »
At the moment I have 3 of my OS/2 / ArcaOS machines with the 2 TB Seagate FireCuda hybrid drives.  The only 'problem' is that I have to let all the other machines get well into the boot process before I start them, otherwise they complain they can't find some of the network shares, boot time is that much faster and I have the added storage capacity of the spinning rust.

As others have said the housekeeping of the SSD is in the firmware.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 07:51:47 pm »
Thanks everyone!

My only hands-on experience was based on several years of 1st generation Samsung 850 Pro SDD use. That was just a 128G drive for my work laptop (Dell E6400), but it required the install of WinXP and later on Win7Pro drivers. As you all pointed out, hopefully the new 850 Evo does not need that anymore and the SDD firmware handles that on it's own.

OK, the only part remaining now is the build of my NAS box so that I can toss all the media on that 4TB RAID system and leave just the stuff requiring fast-access on the SDD itself.

Will post some updates as I roll this out. Thanks again to all for your feedback.