Author Topic: DHCP client  (Read 8614 times)

xynixme

DHCP client
« on: December 30, 2017, 01:54:32 pm »
Is it possible to write a "hidden" (i.e. out of sight) third-party PM app for any version of the OS, which waits for the system to shutdown (and then e.g. kills the DHCP client when WPA2 was used, without bothering the user with a dialog)?

Or is it bad practice to start any new session, like a CMD file which would become the (quick) killer?

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
Re: DHCP client
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 05:29:38 pm »
Hi André,

From memory there is a utility to do exactly what you are talking about as I used it in the early 2000's, I just cant remember what it's called :(
Hopefully someone else will remember it.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 10:43:33 am »
As usual I don't even understand what's Andre is talking about. Only reason why I reply is
DHCP client when WPA2 was used
which implies he has troubles with xwlan/wlanstat. I'm guessing he talks about a problem with dhclient and not the OS/2 DHCP client. But it's guessing. He gave no problem description that makes sense to me. He don't even bother making a reasonable subject for this thread.
without bothering the user with a dialog
I do not have any problem with shutdown and so I think most users does not have it too. Maybe cause we all use xwp? I don't know. Unfortunately Andre does not describe his problem but asks about a utility in such an unspecific way I can not understand even when reading it numerous times.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:47:05 am by Andi B. »

xynixme

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 04:20:06 pm »
From memory there is a utility to do exactly what you are talking about as I used it in the early 2000's, I just cant remember what it's called :(
Hopefully someone else will remember it.

Which implies the answer to the question is: yes. Thank you, now I'll consider writing my own. Apparently all OS/2 WPA2 DHCP clients have to show a close-dialog to an user shutting down, which ... blows. Additionally the ISC one even executes a visible, important MODE command without using e.g. DETACH.

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 04:24:12 pm »
Apparently all OS/2 WPA2 DHCP clients have to show a close-dialog to an user shutting down

It doesn't do that on my IBM R61 laptop, maybe because as Andi mentioned, we all use xwp or derivatives  :)
Cheers
Ian B Manners

xynixme

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 04:41:59 pm »
It doesn't do that on my IBM R61 laptop, maybe because as Andi mentioned, we all use xwp or derivatives  :)

As usual he's just trying to produce his own trolls, over and over again: if we all use the 100% irrelevant XWP or XWP derivates, then so do I, isn't it!?

On Shutdown @ Hobbes appears to be one of the existing utilities in question, and confirms that such a solution is not a bad practice.

xynixme

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 05:20:22 pm »
As usual he's just trying to produce his own trolls, over and over again: if we all use the 100% irrelevant XWP or XWP derivates, then so do I, isn't it!?

On Shutdown @ Hobbes appears to be one of the existing utilities in question, and confirms that such a solution is not a bad practice.

A quick test of the concept, with different orders of execution, shows that On Shutdown doesn't avoid a dialog of e.g. a "normal" WPA_SUPPLICANT.EXE background session. If you close this session first, then apparently On Shutdown shows an own dialog too because it cannot kill that closed session anymore, so it isn't fully hidden.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 05:34:16 pm »
Ian you are a native English speaker I think. Did you understand what Andre is talking here? Do you know what the problem is? Do you understand what he means with f.i. all OS/2 WPA2 DHCP clients?

One last question, do you really think Andre is human? For me this thread is another proof for sort of AI attack to this forum. Looking at his stats page he seem to have no regular sleeping time too. Although no proof but another sign. I consider spending some time in filling other buzz words here in this thread to see what triggers even more crazy reactions.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 05:39:18 pm by Andi B. »

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 06:01:09 pm »
Hi André,

In XWorkplace I'm sure there are different shutdown settings including something along the lines of a forced shutdown, I'm otherwise too busy at present doing some major archiving to check what I have on my thinkpad, which I only use at university (March-May and August-October). All I can tell you is that when I use wpa_supplicant, I simply click on Shutdown from any menu and the thinkpad shuts down without myself having to worry about clicking on anything or killing other process's.

xwp derivatives are programs like the slimmed down version as eComStation provides.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 06:11:31 pm »
Ian you are a native English speaker I think. Did you understand what Andre is talking here? Do you know what the problem is? Do you understand what he means with f.i. all OS/2 WPA2 DHCP clients?

I does actually stir a distant memory of something not closing down properly with an earlier wpa_supplicant version, so I've run with that. WPA2 I assume means that André is using the supplicant, which comes with the DHCP version from https://www.isc.org/ so I simply make another assumption unless someone wants to correct me :)

One last question, do you really think Andre is human? For me this thread is another proof for sort of AI attack to this forum. Looking at his stats page he seem to have no regular sleeping time too. Although no proof but another sign.

What is human? Sorry, I'm doing Neuroscience and psychology at present at UWA, and that has led to some interesting discussions as to what and when we decide that Artificial Intelligent has really arrived in our little world :o)

I consider spending some time in filling other buzz words here in this thread to see what triggers even more crazy reactions.

Please do, it may provide some interesting information to fill in the gaps. André also uploads a reasonable amount of software corrections and programs to hobbes as well. I'll leave it up to him if he wish's to let others know the name he uses there.

And bang, there is another lot of CD's archived - http://www.os2site.com/sw/dev/developer/index.html
Cheers
Ian B Manners