Author Topic: Dynamic Icons  (Read 23196 times)

David Graser

• View Profile
Re: Dynamic Icons
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 01:56:41 am »
The second

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 07:38:47 am »
I am working on "clear glass Portals."  What is interesting is that you can use both.  Say you like the blue portals for the desktop, but the clear glass portals for the opened portals with the white background or vice versa.  I am also adding to the Blue Portals.  It is going to be slower going.  Work is getting to be more demanding.

David

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 06:26:19 pm »
Looks good.
About performance, I think the problem is actually losing address space in the lower arena causing programs to fail quicker. This could be tested with Theseus by measuring memory with and without the dynamic icons.

Hi Dave

Being a non programmer, I may have thought this out to the wrong conclusion.  This would would be true for the more portals one opens.  Does ArcaOS load all the portals (folders) into memory on boot-up or does it load into memory only those portals that are open?  If the latter is true, then one would probably have to open many portals before the lower memory is exhausted.  There again, it may depend on how much memory one has installed on their computer. One can see in some of my uploaded pics that I have quite a few portals open without any degradation.  Is my non programming analysis wrong? 

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 08:53:03 pm »
I'm not sure how the WPS allocates the memory, whether as icons are opened or all at once. Hopefully as icons are opened and it is released when the icons are closed.
About the memory, or at least my imperfect understanding. On OS/2 systems before 4.5 (earlier with Warp Server), processes only get 512 MBs of shared address space, minus whatever DLLs are loaded and memory they use. eg Right now on a freshly booted system with SeaMonkey running, I seem to have 230 MBs of free lower shared memory. Making it even more complex is that the memory can be fragmented, program requests a bunch of 10MB chunks and then frees up every second one leaving a bunch of 10MB holes. Another program wants to allocate a 20MB chunk and fails even though there is lots of free memory.
Latest versions of OS/2 ca also use high memory if compiled to. So things like Mozilla mostly allocate high memory. Unluckily some of the OS/2 API (old 16 bit stuff) can only access low memory so a big memory hog like Firefox mostly uses high memory and even the DLLs themselves can be loaded high but still needs some low memory and when high memory gets full/fragmented falls back on low memory.
And understand we're talking virtual memory, not physical memory.
My description above might not be quite right but that is the general idea, namely that low memory is a scarce resource on OS/2.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 07:07:41 am »
This is a preview of the Clear folder portals.  I now refer to my desktop as ArcaOS Dimensions.  By uploading, I can see what they look like on a different bigger screen computer.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 05:41:15 am »
I just finished my clear portal folders,  I have broke it into two zip files.

The first attachment
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:47:59 am by David Graser »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 05:42:25 am »
Clear portal folders

The second attachment

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 09:23:57 pm »
Hi David.

Thanks for sharing, nice icons.

I have a question. Do you have any documentation that you have generated about how many icons do you consider that became a "theme" for the OS ? I always wanted to generate some documentation about it and I'm trying to do something on the OS2World wiki.  It still requires a lot of work, but I'm trying to find the formal name (objectID name) of each icon for a theme.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 03:20:36 am »
Hi Martin

Not right off hand.  The Russian eSchemes packages should give one a good idea of most of the folder and icon replacements they thought necessary.  I played around and developed a bunch of schemes (for better or worst) years back.  I will have to look in one of my icon scheme development folders to count the number of icons they considered important provided I can find one.

David
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:22:32 am by David Graser »

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 03:59:05 am »
I counted in the neighborhood of 227 icons.  Each icon was asigned a number.  I have a pic attached.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 06:03:28 am »
I have attached a few more Blue portal icons.

David
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:08:53 am by David Graser »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 04:52:25 pm »
I counted in the neighborhood of 227 icons.  Each icon was asigned a number.  I have a pic attached.

Hi David.

Did you generated that list by yourself? Do you have documented which number matchs the object in the desktop? I'm just thinking about it to see if there is an easy way to create icon themes and assign them with some common name to know which icon should be assigned to which object.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 10:32:25 am »
Martin

I have to apologize.  I was getting eschemes mixed up with the icon toolkit.  Like I said, it has been around 5 years or longer since I last messed with either one.  A lot has been forgotten.  The html from the toolket does an excellent job describing what what needs to be done, which I have attached.  Be sure and read the credits at the bottom of the page.

David
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:54:55 am by David Graser »

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 04:15:21 am »
FWIW, that is an ancient and quite obsolete version of the HOWTO. The latest HOWTO and toolkit was version 2.1 released in December 2011.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 12:36:08 pm »
FWIW, that is an ancient and quite obsolete version of the HOWTO. The latest HOWTO and toolkit was version 2.1 released in December 2011.

Alex, what happens if you run "rebuild new themes" from the Theme applet ? Will it bind the resource files (create by rc with the -r switch) to the DLLs in question ? In short: will that also lead to a selection of a specific theme ? Will this change be applied on next system start ? Or will it even be applied immediately ?

Thanks for any help. Lars