Author Topic: SDL on the Netlabs RPM Repository  (Read 6932 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
SDL on the Netlabs RPM Repository
« on: January 10, 2018, 10:56:04 pm »
Hi

I found this package on the netlabs RPM called "sdl" (1.2.15), it contains and installs SDL12.DLL and SDL120.DLL.

If I run an SDL program like "Alien Blaster" pointing to that  SDL12.DLL I get this problem:
"SYS0191: SDL12 cannot be run in an OS/2 session."

Alien Blaster works fine again if I use SDL-1.2.15-20160303.zip from Hobbes.

My questions are:
Do you consider that the "sdl" package on netlabs RPM is wrong in some way, because of the error I got ?
Do you know if there is another RPM package that includes SDL.DLL, SDLMIXER.DLL, etc ?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: SDL on the Netlabs RPM Repository
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 11:08:18 pm »
Didn't the sdl package get replaced by the SDL package? Here I have SDL-1.2.15-5 installed.
One problem is that this seems to be the minimal SDL package, without sdlimage, sdlsound, sdlnet and sdlmixer, which are often required for games. For lbreakout for example, I have all the dlls in the lbreakout directory though testing now by removing sdl12.dll, it seems to work.
Probably need more RPM packages covering the above dlls, also a sdl2 package.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 03:55:05 am »
Didn't the sdl package get replaced by the SDL package?

Somebody left 'sdl' (lower case), in the RPM repository (that happened before Arca Noae was more than just a dream). It appears to be an older version, that SHOULD be replaced by 'SDL' (upper case), but the names are case sensitive, so 'SDL' does not replace 'sdl'. To fix the problem, uninstall 'sdl' and then install 'SDL'. It may uninstall other things, so watch what gets uniunstalled, and install all of them, except 'sdl'.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 01:54:51 pm »
Hi

You are right, since I was only searching for sdl with the "search function" I didn't noticed the one in uppercase.
I'm installing the SDL in uppercase (and removing first the "sdl")

But I haven't found yet if there is a package that contains  SDLMIXER.DLL and the other SDL DLL's.

I guess the only suggestion the netlabs RPM will be to remove (or mark as outdated) the sdl (lowercase) package. Is there some tracker to open a ticket about it? Because it is not a RPM bug, it is a maintenance of the repository thing.

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 04:06:06 pm »
Martijn,

Take a look at this ticket https://mantis.arcanoae.com/view.php?id=571.

I logged it some time ago (Oct-2016) when I was attempting to transition from ZIP based module installations to the RPM/YUM/ANPM ones.

Specifically, I attempted to get the RPM version of sdl/SDL installed, but ran into some problems. Eventually I lost interest as other priorities took over, but the content of that ticket will shed some light on the differences and specifically what is the correct one to install.

The last ticket update was done by Lewis, the key takeaways are:

"...
1. The SDL (and sdl) RPMs are not complete replacements for the zip-installed package you already have. In fact, SDLttf,dll is in a separate package entirely, now (SDL_ttf). I suspect that in time, the other SDL components will be packaged separately.

2. If you do have a need for the other SDL components, you might be better off sticking with the zip. I would put them in %UNIXROOT%\usr\local\dll, and just remove them manually when are able to get the rest of the set that you need via RPM.
..."

So in short, the RPM based SDL solution is not a complete replacement of the old ZIP based stuff. Until all the packages have been built you have the option to replace just what is available or simply keep the ZIP stuff running.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 04:30:58 pm »
Dariuez, that asks the question,  why is there any RPM SDL there in the first place.

The impression given is that RPM is supposed to make everything easier yet there are several instances when it does the opposite.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 04:58:17 pm »
The same can be said of DLLs ;-)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 05:27:19 pm »
Dariuez, that asks the question,  why is there any RPM SDL there in the first place.

The impression given is that RPM is supposed to make everything easier yet there are several instances when it does the opposite.

It is there for FFmpeg, or rather FFplay, which uses SDL to display videos/audio. Once there are other packages that use other SDL components such as sdl-mixeer, I guess there will be packages for them. It's a reflection of the shortage of manpower running the RPM stuff.

SDL is a bit hard to deal with on OS/2 as it is usually built with OpenWatcom and needs some mickey mousing (import libs, sdl-config script and pkgconfig script) to use with GCC and the autotools.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 06:02:56 pm »
Hi

I still don't know where to report that "sdl" (lowercase) should be removed from the Netlabs RPM.
It should be removed, right?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 06:17:58 pm »
The problem with removing it is then certain packages such as FFmpeg can't be downgraded to an older version.
In the interests of chasing bugs and such, being able to downgrade packages is a good idea.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 06:23:45 pm »
It should be removed, right?

Apparently not, since it hasn't been resolved. The problem has existed for a few years now. The logic behind it escapes me.  :(

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 05:10:26 pm »
All that really needs to be done is to change (or add to) the new packages "replaces" line so that it points to the lower case.  I haven't looked at the spec file, but either it does not show that it replaces anything or it shows it replaces SDL vs. sdl.