Author Topic: Samba and ArcaOS?  (Read 5889 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
Samba and ArcaOS?
« on: January 19, 2018, 03:02:57 am »
Samba has worked great here ever since the later ArcaOS betas. Now I can't get it to work on ArcaOS any more. I've tried this on both AMD & Intel based machines and get the same problems. The machines are listed in "Network Neighborhood" but shared subdirectories are not listed so sharing can't take place. Samba still works fine on eCS box in the LAN. This seems to have started possibly after one of the many YUM updates.
I keep thinking I've screwed up inadverantly, but making the same mistake on two different machines that used to work fine is a stretch.
Thanks in advance for any comments (good or bad!)

klipp

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Samba and ArcaOS?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 06:11:52 am »
SAMBA consists of two parts. The client (called ArcaMapper) and the server. Which part are you talking about?

There are a couple of sections in the README.TXT, in the root of the install DVD that may address your problem. One of them talks about updated security, that may need to be disabled to use older servers.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:37:54 am »
Hi Klipp,

Samba has worked great here ever since the later ArcaOS betas. Now I can't get it to work on ArcaOS any more. I've tried this on both AMD & Intel based machines and get the same problems. The machines are listed in "Network Neighborhood" but shared subdirectories are not listed so sharing can't take place. Samba still works fine on eCS box in the LAN. This seems to have started possibly after one of the many YUM updates.
I keep thinking I've screwed up inadverantly, but making the same mistake on two different machines that used to work fine is a stretch.
Thanks in advance for any comments (good or bad!)

I believe network neighbourhood is populated by Arcamapper spawning smbclient.exe - it doesn't use the Samba 4.x plugin.

I would try a couple of things.
1) use pmdll to check ndpsmb.dll & smbcln44.dll for any DLL loading issues
2) Try enabling logging for the Samba plugin, by creating a file ndpsmb.dbg in the root directory of your ArcaOS install, then restarting the control daemon from Arcamapper; then trying to map a drive. If the plugin is loading (if it's a DLL issue from 1) it may not be); then you should get some output in x:\var\log\ndpsmb.log

Cheers,

Paul

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 03:17:11 pm »
Hi Klipp,

You aren't alone with this problem, I have it on one of my boxes.

Network setup: 5 ITX motherboards with AMD APUs all 4 core.
Names: ITX-01 to ITX-05

ITX-02 and ITX-03 are my test machines for ArcaOS and don't generally run at the same time.
ITX-01, ITX-04 and ITX-05 are OS/2 CP2 machines with Samba as an addon.

Each machine is set to be able to access each of the others (I only have certain dirs actually mapped for transfers although this can change as necessary).

At the moment every machine can see all the shares on the other machine except ITX-02 - it appears to be there but there are no shares available.  This was working like all the others 4 days ago.  When I started it 2 days ago the shares weren't there even in its own network neighbourhood. 

Everything was working when I shut it down but not working on the restart.

I have compared ITX-02 with what is on ITX-03 and they appear to be identical (apart from names).

Anyone with any ideas?

Edit to add:

Paul, I checked the DLLs - no problem. Is the ndpsmb.dbg just a blank text file?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 03:21:08 pm by ivan »

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 08:37:16 pm »
Hey ivan, Thank you for your response, I have pretty much the same setup as you have. And Samba was flawless to start out with on 3 different machines sharing files and directories using both ArcaOS 5.0 and and 5.0.1 and eCS-b2 (eCS-b2 still works as long as it is booted up as DMB!). This is driving me NUTS! I decided to try a bare-bones clean new install on an AMD Phenom  II x4 965 processor with ArcaOS 5.0.1 and haven't been able to get past the famous "Can't make your Hard Disk work" during the install. If and when I get this latest problem resolved I'll post any new results. Thanks again for your post , something is screwed up somewhere and my suspicions lie in the YUM updates although I have nothing to back this up as yet.

klipp

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 07:16:39 pm »
An interesting observation regarding this problem.

Today a friend brought in his laptop with win7 on it for me to add a printer for him.

Without thinking I opened the network section of windows explorer to open one of the drives on ITX-01 to get the drivers I had downloaded there.  The amazing thing is that all the shares of ITX-01 were there and fully accessible yet they do not appear on any OS/2 or ArcaOS machine I have.

Anyone with any ideas?