Author Topic: Java applications Jedit 5.1.0  (Read 28519 times)

Joop

• View Profile
Java applications Jedit 5.1.0
« on: August 11, 2013, 05:04:08 pm »
I installed Jedit 5.1.0, did go with one error message. Today it seems it needs the internet. But as the message at the bottom says, don't worry.
After installation I update my startup script and Jedit does start up. In English, no Dutch (I'm Dutch). Can't be choosen too, its just not there.
After that lets load a file....

And here we have an old bug which was introduced after they kicked out the OS/2 code because no one uses OS/2 anymore.
That poor fellow never did a real search on the internet. After my complaint that we aren't dead but alive and kicking they put the code back in they said, but it seems not all of it. The fellow who took it all out never had the idea to note down what he had done. So they don't know whats missing. They took out some "old days dos stuff" and with it probably the way how to manage directories and files. Today with this latest edition Jedit can't read directories properly in OS/2. It comes up with totally nonsence.

I got this in my bug tracker file;
16:40:13 [jEdit Worker #2] [error] ErrorListDialog$ErrorEntry: i:\programs\Jedit_510\i:\programs\Jedit_510\i:\programs\Jedit_51_
2212\i:\programs\Jedit_501_1212\i:\programs\Jedit_501_1212\I:\CAD\Fidocad\Manual\i:\programs\Jedit_500\I:\CAD\Fidocad\Manual\i:\
programs\Jedit_51_2212\i:\programs\Jedit_501_1212\i:\programs\Jedit_501_1212\I:\CAD\Fidocad\Manual\i:\programs\Jedit_500\I:\CAD\
Fidocad\Manual\:
16:40:13 [jEdit Worker #2] [error] ErrorListDialog$ErrorEntry: Cannot list directory.

Its all almost one line, I do have all those directories, but not in this insane way. I still use Java 160 first edition because most programs do work well with this version. Later versions do give some trouble with some programs in not having a menu on top, its there, but not displayed. I did put the bug in the bug tracker, but it seems not important enough. That's why I'm a bit down about eCS and how it all goes today, in case you ask yourself if my website is still maintained.

May be there is a trick too fool OS/2 or Jedit. Anyone?

Cheers
Joop

Pete

• View Profile
Re: Java applications Jedit 5.1.0
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:31:20 pm »
Hi Joop

I've just installed jedit and see the problem. I doubt if there is any fix except to recode jedit to actually work properly.

What I do not see on the jedit sourceforge site is an obvious way to report the problem. Where have you reported this problem? - I'll add my bug report to yours.

Regards

Pete

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:07:37 pm »
Hi Pete,

What I do not see on the jedit sourceforge site is an obvious way to report the problem. Where have you reported this problem? - I'll add my bug report to yours.
Try this one http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3595308&group_id=588&atid=100588

Cheers,
Joop
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:29:55 pm by Joop »

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 11:01:56 pm »
Hi Joop

I added the following to your report:-

I'm using eCS2.2 operating system (aka updated OS/2) with java1.6 and see exactly the same problems with this build of jedit.

There are also problems with the jedit.cmd file included with the jedit package.  Trying from the command line I get this result:-

[J:\JAVA\JEDIT]jedit
     1 +++   ???rc = QueryJavaVersion()?if ( rc = - 1 ) then?do? say 'java.exe cannot be found'? return - 1;
REX0013: Error 13 running J:\JAVA\JEDIT\jedit.cmd, line 1: Invalid character in program

Looking at the jedit.cmd file in a text editor that works (;-)) I cannot see any obvious problems... I would guess that the jedit.cmd file has been opened in a non-OS/2 editor and now includes hidden/non-printing characters which cause the REXX interpreter to fail.

To test this I opened the file in an OS/2 editor (e2.exe) and deleted existing line endings then recreated them. The jedit.cmd file now works to tell me that it cannot find java.exe... So the problem with jedit.cmd is that at some point it has been opened in a non-OS/2 editor that then adds something to the end of each line. Another problem is that the jedit.cmd is rather simple and will only work under some circumstances - note that it failed to locate java.exe on my system despite java being in the system PATH.

Hopefully the jedit guys will fix the directory/file access problems with jedit but I suspect that we need a Rexx expert to fix the jedit.cmd file so that it works in most cases.

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 01:17:08 am »
Probably the cmd file got mangled by the version control system, probably git. Quite normal for these to be set to convert CR/LF to LF and somewhat harder to have an exception for one file.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 02:30:15 am »
It was my fault posting this news. I was checking the updated Java apps for OS/2-eCS.

I tested Jedit 5.1.0,  the installer run fine and the application seemed to run fine with "java -jar jedit.jar".

But when trying to open a file I find out about the error.

I get an:

The following I/O operation could not be completed:

X:\PROGRAMS\JEDIT\X:\PROGRAMS\JEDIT\X:\HOME\DEFAULT\:
Cannot list directory.

And I can not change the directory to open a file.

Here it is the command prompt

[X:\PROGRAMS\JEDIT]java -jar jedit.jar
7:11:33 PM [main] [warning] jEdit: initPLAF failed to set required l&f
7:11:36 PM [main] [warning] jEdit: initPLAF failed to set required l&f
7:16:40 PM [jEdit Worker #1] [error] ErrorListDialog$ErrorEntry: X:\PROGRAMS\JED
IT\X:\PROGRAMS\JEDIT\X:\HOME\DEFAULT\:
7:16:40 PM [jEdit Worker #1] [error] ErrorListDialog$ErrorEntry: Cannot list dir
ectory.

Like Joop said, it seems that JEdit is getting crazy with OS/2-eCS paths.

Regards.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:37:04 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 05:38:25 am »
Has anyone tried to use slashes instead of backslashes? Or double backslashes?

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 12:06:26 pm »
Hi Dave

The slashes have nothing to do with the problem - at least from a user viewpoint. The visual file dialogs cannot access directories/files without mangling the contents.

To try to show this problem:-

I start jedit using this command

[J:\JAVA\JEDIT]java -jar jedit.jar

No problem starting jedit but I notice that at the top of the screen jedit shows

index.xhtml (J:\JAVA\JEDIT\J:\JAVA\JEDIT\J:\JAVA\OPENJDK6\BIN\I:\Users\peter\HOME\PeterWeb\)

I believe the above should show the file open and being worked on - it definitely should not look like the above.

Then I tried a File, Open. The File dialog opens and then immediately displays this message:-

I/O Error
The following I/O operation could not be completed:

J:\JAVA\JEDIT\J:\JAVA\JEDIT\J:\JAVA\OPENJDK6\BIN\I:\Users\peter\HOME\PeterWeb\:
Cannot list directory

I'm not surprised jedit cannot list the above directory as it does not exist - the above is a mangle of several directories which is a result of some poor coding by the jedit guys.

No, I doubt it is anything to do with slashes that a user can resolve.

Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes - not every time, about 1 in 5 - moving the jedit window causes java/jedit to crash:-

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x1cd01238, pid=95, tid=6225945
#
# JRE version: 6.0_27
# Java VM: OpenJDK Client VM (20.0-b12 mixed mode os2-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# V  [JVM+0x51238]
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

Whether the above is a result of our "odinized" java1.6 or more coding problems in jedit I do not know.

Regards

Pete

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 06:44:57 pm »
Hi Pete,

I got the same error when I tried to open an Album with the latest JAlbum and OpenJDK 6, didn't bother looking further as I needed to remake an album so I deleted it and put my older JAlbum v8.1.6 back.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

G. M. Anchieri

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 10:14:19 pm »
The Jedit.cmd contain an error in this line:
if (pos(" JAVA VERSION ", sStr) > 0) | (pos("JAVA.EXE VERSION ", sStr) > 0) then
you have to substitued this line with this:
if (pos(" VERSION ", sStr) > 0) | (pos("JAVA.EXE VERSION ", sStr) > 0) then
and jedit start without problem, this is due to method used by openjdk to respond at java.exe -version command:

OPENJDK VERSION "1.6.0_27"
OPENJDK RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT (BUILD 1.6.0_27-B01-GA5)
OPENJDK CLIENT VM (BUILD 20.0-B12, MIXED MODE)

as you can view the response is OPENJDK VERSION but in  Windows we have JAVA VERSION
and jedit is basically a windows product

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 01:11:33 am »
Hi G. M. Anchieri

Sorry to say that having made your recommended change to jedit.cmd all that happens is a different error:-

[J:\JAVA\JEDIT]jedit
    49 +++             Return iMajor * 100 + iMid * 10 + iMinor;
REX0041: Error 41 running J:\JAVA\JEDIT\jedit.cmd, line 49: Bad arithmetic
conversion
     2 +++   rc = QueryJavaVersion();

[J:\JAVA\JEDIT]

However, the jedit.cmd problems are not worth pursuing as when jedit is running it is not capable of reading files and directories so, sadly, jedit is of no use to me.

Regards

Pete

gamba

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 10:20:56 am »
Hi all,

I created a ticket about this problem: http://svn.netlabs.org/java/ticket/223

If it is really common to latest jEdit and jAlbum, it is not application related, IMHO.

Bye
Gabriele

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 01:36:50 pm »
To bypass the problems with the cmd file I created a program object for this version, just as I have for the older versions.

As everyone has found it can be started but it is impossible to open any files - which as Pete says makes it useless.

The two attachments show the problem is with the way the file open dialogue just keeps on adding to the string by repeating everything - it will do this until it eventually causes a fault in java and libc065.

This raises the question of what has changed in the file open code in the new version as opposed to that which still works in the older versions?  Until that is answered and fixed, we OS/2 users are restricted to the older versions.

gamba

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 03:46:30 pm »
Quoting dmik:

"My wild guess is that v5 uses some other Java API for path manipulation that triggers some Odin bug that doesn't affect other code paths. The bug may be a missing Win API implementation detail or such."

G. M. Anchieri

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 04:51:57 pm »
Hi Pete

exist another mistake in jedit command, please replace the line:
parse var sStr sStuff '"'iMajor'.'iMid'.'iMinor'"'
in procedure: QueryJavaVersion with this:
parse var sStr sStuff '"'iMajor'.'iMid'.'iMinor'_'iLast'"'

and the error is gone.