Author Topic: eCS on an Acer Aspire One?  (Read 44444 times)

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
eCS on an Acer Aspire One?
« on: October 10, 2013, 06:33:46 pm »
I have an Acer Aspire One with Windows 7 Starter on it. It has an Intel Atom N455 (1.66 GHZ, 512 KB cache), 1 GB DDR3 memory, and 250 GB HDD. Can I install eCS 2.0 on it or should I wait for eCS 2.2? I have an external USB cd-rom drive to install it from.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

melf

Re: eCS on an Acer Aspire One?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 11:43:28 am »
Hi Tom,
I have an older Acer One with Atom N270 I think. There was a problem with eCS Silver and also 2.0, but when I found the workaround way it was quite easy. I quote my posting on bugreporter (http://bugs.ecomstation.nl/view.php?id=2294):

In fact this problem now is "solved". I boot up choose the right settings in preboot menu, continue boot and awaits SYS messages. To proceed install I have to 1) pull out the cord to my USB-CD 2) press Ctrl+Alt+Del 3) put the cord back again.

Install proceeds without a glitch, but 1) eCS is not able to make this Acer reboot - you have to turn it off when screen is black and 2)you have to pull the usb cord out till eCS begin booting, otherwise you get SYS-messages and it halts.

In eCS 2.1 and 2.2 I had no problem, except that the touch pad is locked when it boots up. You have to hold Fn and hit the unlock touchpad twice (I think) , Fn+F7. If there is no problem with the CPU it should work. (Backup your data and try it!). In preboot menu, don't forget to change settings for external CD boot. Good luck!

Also, the latest Panorama-version (if you have software subscription services) conciderably increased videoperformance.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:07:03 pm by melf »

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:07:35 pm »
I renewed my software subscription recently.  8)

Thanks for the information. I will give it a try, after backing up the information I want to save. I have eCS 2.0 but I will check for eCS 2.1.  8)

I will check out the link provided.  8)

My Acer Aspire One is a couple of years old.  8)

This is a newer one but I thought I would show how it generally looks like.  ;D

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=acer%20aspire%20one&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aacer%20aspire%20one
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 08:26:06 pm »
'Error Query Geometry for drive 00. Code=08
 Error Query Geometry for drive 01. Code=08
 Disk 81 / Z : installed
 OS/2 !!. SYS02025
 OS/2 !!. SYS02027
'
I tried installing eCS 2.0 on my netbook and it stopped at the above.  :-\

I will check out the link given in the above post reply.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 08:43:09 pm »
I changed the boot settings to install from USB cd drive. It gets past the errors posted above. It keeps asking for the installation cd.  :'(

I was able to get the eCS 2.2 beta demo cd to run on this netbook (see other post about it).  8)

Like my other notebook computer, it might be best to wait till 2.2 comes out.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

melf

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 11:43:07 am »
The errors you specified are the same that I got. Did you use the described method to work around this stop with ecs2.0? I did not have any problems with repeated messages of "please insert ecomstation CD", so maybe you have some additional problem.

I guess you don't have access to ecs 2.2 beta then? Or ecs 2.1?

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 03:18:09 am »
I don't have eCS 2.1 yet but I did purchase it recently. I should be downloading and creating the installation disc's soon.  8)

I have created the eCS 2.2 beta demo. I used the option of 'USB boot' in the setup. I was able to run eCS 2.2 on the Acer Aspire One. It was fast. When it comes out, I will purchase that too.  8)
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
Re: eCS 2.1 on an Acer Aspire One?
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 03:25:22 pm »
I bought and downloaded eCS 2.1 and will be creating the installation CD's for it. I will attempt to install it on my little computer. I will report with the results.  8)

I have tried the demo CD for eCS 2.2 and it ran really fast on the AAOne.  8) Looking forward to it coming out.
BigGoofyGuy

melf

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 12:45:41 am »
Tom, Hope everything goes well. eCS is really quite smooth on the Acer One.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 05:46:10 pm »
I bought eCS 2.1 and have created the installation disc's for it. I will be giving it a try. I am hoping everything goes well too.  8)

Perhaps I might need a newer USB CD drive? If it does not install, I will check that as an option.
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 09:37:52 pm »
I have tried installing eCS 2.1. It gets to the boot screen to boot from the cd. I enter the settings where I indicated to boot from an USB cd. It shows the logo. It indicates to put the installation disc into the drive and that if it is already there, to go to chapter 6.3 of the manual. It does not go any farther.  What manual?
BigGoofyGuy

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 10:51:23 pm »
Probably qckguide.pdf with the link being one line up from the link to download eCS 2.1 CD#1 on the Mensys Download page.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 02:49:59 pm »
I did not find it at Mensys.com but I did find it at eComStation.com. It was in the download section of the eCS site.  8)
http://www.mensys.com  http://www.ecomstation.com
I downloaded it and will be finding the 6.3 chapter.  8) I will find out what the problem was.
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 03:42:45 pm »
'You are booting from a external USB CD drive.  You need to enable this in the “USB” page of the Pre-boot Menu (see Chapter 2, section 2.2.4 for details). ' I thought I did do this but I will check it again and see if it makes a difference.
BigGoofyGuy

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:02:38 pm »
I did set it to run from the usb cd and I was able to run / try eCS 2.2. I tried it with the installation disc for eCS 2.1 but it still asks for the installation disc one. I will check the setings again.  :'(
BigGoofyGuy