Author Topic: Kudos to the eComStation developers....  (Read 12235 times)

conradc1234

Kudos to the eComStation developers....
« on: January 03, 2013, 12:15:11 am »
Have just installed ver 2.1 plus the recent update on my Asus M2N68-AM board and for the first time ever all 4 cores are recognised, my SDD drive is flying plus the Panorama video driver finally allowed me to set my monitor to its 'native' wide-screen!
On the downside though - the screen fonts don't look the best but I'm sure there is a way around this plus the onboard networking wasn't recognised.....
Still the performance is amazing. Lotus WordPro starting almost before I finish clicking on the icon, OpenOffice faster than on the same system under Linux....
Thanks folks!
Conrad.

Pete

• View Profile
Re: Kudos to the eComStation developers....
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:13:11 am »
Hi Conrad

You can make screen fonts look better by adding applications to the Registry Key. To make the WPS look better use the following instructions to add pmshell.exe to the Registry Key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InnoTek\InnoTek Font Engine\Applications using the Registry Editor:-

RMB (Right Mouse Button) on Applications and select New, Key and name it pmshell.exe
RMB on pmshell.exe and select New, DWORD and call it Enabled - this autonatically has a Value of 0 which needs to be changed to 1
Close Registry Editor and then restart the WPS - or reboot

Text should now be a bit better  :-)

You can do the same for other applications - and, while I think of it, you should either Delete keys for seamonkey.exe, thunderbird.exe and firefox.exe or set the Enabled value to 0. Recent/current builds of these applications do not use the font engine to enhance text as that capability is now built into these applications and leaving the font engine keys enabled can cause problems.

Regards

Pete

conradc1234

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:47:11 am »
Thanks Pete - much appreciated!
Conrad.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:05:38 pm »
If you mean washed out anti-aliased fonts are looking better than crystal clear bitmap fonts like WarpSans or WorkplaceSans you can do so. But the Innotek font engine is not as stable as it should be and so I never would let it fiddling around with such a vital part as the WPS.

For me anti-aliasing is only useful for browsing the net and writting WYSIWYG documents. But not for WPS or menus.

First you should try the font palette. Drag and drop another size or font to the WPS. Next if you are not satisfied try the SNAP config.sys options if you use SNAP like -
SET SDDFONTSIZE=Medium
SET SDDFONTDPI=120
SET SDDICONS=small
Don't know if Panorama have similar settings.

But first I think you should clarify what you mean with 'don't look the best'. For this I've attached a section of my Desktop. I think my fonts do not look that bad. But YMMV.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 07:25:26 pm »
Hi

I've been using the Innotek Font Engine to enhance the WPS for years and it does not seem to cause any problems here - except if a menu entry is too long it may lose a character or 2 from the end ie when I click the "eCS button" on the eComCentre the menu entry for File and Print Client Resource Browser is too long for the width of the menu so the "er" is missing from "Browser".

I can live with that as there are only a very few menu entries that show this problem :-)

I've attached a screenshot of a bit of my Innotek Font Engine enhanced Desktop. I have my system set to use Warpsans Bold for Icon View (Desktop and DVD/CD Toys) and Warpsans standard for Tree View (Drive L).

I think Seamonkey uses WorkplaceSans by default if it is installed but I'm not sure which version I am using... here is the dir entry:-
11-10-11 12:22p        42,224      0 a---  WPSU.TTF

Note the date is in DD-MM-YY format.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 09:34:48 pm »
I've been using the Innotek Font Engine to enhance the WPS for years and it does not seem to cause any problems here - except [...]

A common problem of that is that you run out of shared mem sooner than without it.

That would be a bigger problem for me: I have to reboot 2 ... 3 times a day. It depends on how many bitmaps I load into the browser, how many Javascripts run/hang there, how much concert videos I watch and how many times I start the IBM VAC compiler.

Andreas Schnellbacher
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:41:42 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

conradc1234

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 10:54:37 pm »
Thanks to all for the recommendations - the machine I have running is purely for test purposes and the monitor used is not exactly cutting-edge which may not be helping things. My fonts do look very 'washed out', the smaller the font size the worse they look!  Still, am not too worried, I will sort them out if they remain like that when I hook up my main monitor but that won't be until ver 2.2 becomes available.
Thanks again,
Conrad