Author Topic: OS/2 compatible?  (Read 29388 times)

Tricky_Cat

OS/2 compatible?
« on: November 29, 2013, 01:56:25 am »
Hello wonderful people! I found something that you may like... An old IBM Aptiva! It doesn't seem to be working ATM but I hear the Aptivas can run OS/2 natively and I was wondering if someone can help me find out if it will work before I put all the effort and money into it.

And for anyone who wants to know, yes I do plan to sell it. As much as I would like to keep an OS/2 comp I need to mony to replace my aging Toshiba laptop.

Thanks for reading!

Here's a pic:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 08:18:30 pm by Martin Iturbide »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 compatible?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 05:17:05 pm »
My brother had an Aptiva, many years ago. It came with warp 3 installed, along with DOS 7.0 and Win 3.1. OS/2 worked well, and eCS 1.0 also worked well, before it became unusable for modern browsers (not enough memory). The other "problem" was that it had an IBM sound card that required a very hard to find driver. We eventually scrapped that (not as easy as it sounds), and put in an old SoundBlaster.

All of that may, or may not, apply to what you have. What, EXACTLY is it that you have? Knowing the Machine type, and model, might help to answer your question (ISTR that there are probably about 100 Aptiva models, covering about 20 years).

Sell it? You would be lucky to get $10 for an old machine, no matter what OS is installed. If it is not working, you would need to describe, exactly what is not working, to decide whether it can be fixed. Putting any money into it would not be cost effective.

I hear the Aptivas can run OS/2 natively

That statement could be misinterpreted, so I will counter with this statement: " Most computers, made after 1987 will run OS/2, or eCS, natively. Some do it better than others, and the main "problems" are caused by cheap, "windows only" devices, that won't work without a specific windows driver. Fortunately, most of them seem to have gone out of business, simply because Linux has become big enough to get the attention of the manufacturers. The other major "problem" is lack of drivers for the newest hardware, which would not be a problem, in this case.

Tricky_Cat

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 07:35:21 pm »
OK... Lots of things to respond to...

Knowing my family it probably has the IBM sound card.

The first thing I did was look for the model number, but I can't seem to find anything.

Well in that case I'm keeping it.

Well if those comps where made in the 80's it should be be OK as this one seems to run Windows 95.

As for what's broken... I won't know until I can get the screwdrivers I need to open the thing.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 08:16:55 pm »
Ohhh. ... I have this Aptiva too, but stored. My first geocities page was on how to install OS/2 on this machine... sadly I can not remember the URL to look for it on archive.org.

It has a strange Media Console (ISA?) card, which connects the Media Console (CDROM, Diskette, power button, PS/2 ports) away from the CPU. It will be cooler if you have monitor special base for the Media Center.

There was another model (sorry I don't got that one) that used to have bose speakers.

At that time I remember I installed OS/2 on it. Everything worked fine, except the audio card. I think that some years later an audio driver that supported it was released, but I no longer used this computer. So, I can no be sure about it.

I'm not sure if you will be able to make some money with it, specially without the monitor and monitor base, but give it a try also on ebay. I really think this model was very interesting on Aptiva's history.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 08:28:07 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Tricky_Cat

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 01:26:52 am »
Thanks so much! Now that I know the system can work with OS/2 I'll get to work on fixing the comp... Anyone know how to do that?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 01:38:31 am »
Does it turn on? Does it shows the IBM logo when you turn it on?
can you access the PC's BIOS? I don't remember if it was F1 or some other key when the IBM logo shows up.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Tricky_Cat

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 02:04:24 am »
No, it won't turn on.

How would I see the bios? I still need to get a monitor.

Also there's a lot of dust in the tower. Anyone know how to get it out without breaking anything?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 12:50:13 pm »
To clean it up internally it will be great if you can find a "canned air" dustbuster (or something like that) to remove all the dirt inside it.

Yes, you need a monitor to check the BIOS and also use the computer.

The power button is on the Media Console. Plug the Media Console to the CPU, plug the power cable to the outlet and try if it turns on.

If it does not turn on at all, maybe you can start checking inside the CPU for a faulty power supply.

I hope this helps.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Tricky_Cat

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 03:48:00 pm »
Yes, this should help a lot! I'll have to get some more compared air though.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 06:08:16 pm »
To clean it up internally it will be great if you can find a "canned air" dustbuster (or something like that) to remove all the dirt inside it.

I recommend NOT using compressed air. It can end up causing more problems than it fixes. Use a vacuum cleaner, with a plastic wand, and be very careful not to remove things (like jumpers) from the motherboard etc. Also be careful not to knock things loose.

Three reasons why I suggest NOT using compressed air:

1) It can force dust into the contacts, causing connection problems.

2) It just spreads the dust around the room, to be collected later by the machine(s).

3) The dust that ends up in the room will linger, long after you finish the job. Even if you use a mask while doing it, you will be breathing the dust for some time after, and that dust likely contains things that you don't want to be breathing.

Remember that the only thing that collects more dust than a computer, is a vacuum cleaner.

Tricky_Cat

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 06:32:16 pm »
OK I'll use the vacuum. It will be cheaper anyway... One more thing... Would it be OK to use a bit of oil on one to the screws? It's stuck to a point that I think that the force required to turn it may exceed the braking point.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 09:25:58 pm »
Would it be OK to use a bit of oil on one to the screws?

It depends on which one. If it is one of the cover screws, a little oil probably won't hurt, as long as the oil doesn't get on the electronics, and you clean it up after you get it the screw out (but it probably won't help anyway). If it is internal, or oil doesn't help, I would break it, and try to get the left over pieces out another way.

It probably won't break anyway, but be sure to use a good screwdriver, or you could mess up the screw head. If it is already messed up, try removing it with vice grips, and replace it, if it is really needed.

When you put screws in a computer, don't use excessive force. In most cases, they need to be snug enough that they won't work loose, but they should never be tight enough that you can't get them out. An easy way to do that (for most people), is to use only the thumb, and the first finger, to hold the screw driver. Most people won't have enough finger strength to over tighten the screws that way. Some won't have enough strength to get them tight enough. If that is the case, use two fingers, and the thumb.

Of course, the screw may be difficult to remove, if it has corroded (rusted). If that has happened, you may have other problems.

Tricky_Cat

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 09:38:09 pm »
It's one of the ones at the back the keeps the it circuits in place. I'll get a pic when I get home, but from what you're saying is sounds like it should work.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 09:50:00 pm »
I usually take my computer outside, remove the cover, make sure the fans are locked so they can't be over-spun, usually by inserting a piece of wood and blow it out. Due to using wood heat I get a lot of dust and sometimes a huge cloud of dust is stirred up when cleaning.
I'd also suggest that while the cover is off, remove and re-insert all cards, memory simms etc.

Tricky_Cat

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 01:46:43 am »
OK then.