Author Topic: OS/2 - personal resurrection  (Read 5915 times)

jkpalmer

OS/2 - personal resurrection
« on: April 07, 2014, 02:02:29 pm »
I was cleaning out my basement and found my OS/2 Warp box.  Haven't looked in it yet, but was wondering if anyone could tell me what was in the original package to perform an install, and if there were diskettes are there images available for those households that ne longer have diskettes?

I would love to install it n a virtual machine, but if I don't have all the "pieces" then it's basically a trash candidate.

Help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jim P.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: OS/2 - personal resurrection
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 03:52:43 pm »
Hi Jim

It depends on which version of OS/2 Warp do you have. Post some pictures of the box here at the forum, let us known which version it says it is.

I guess it is a diskette only edition, right? or does it has diskettes and CD? Because if it is a CD, the diskettes images to make it boot are also inside the CD image.

If you want to try it out (OS/2 from version 2.x to 4.5x) it installs and works without any major problem on VirtualBox on machines that has virtualization technology on the processor (Like Intel i3, i5, i7) which is very common today.

We have this article of OS/2 running as  guest on VirtualBox, it is based for Warp 4.5x, but the idea can apply to Warp 3 too.
http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox_Guest

Regards
Martín.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 - personal resurrection
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 08:41:21 pm »
Hi Jim,

As martin says a lot depends on which version of Warp you have as to the ability to install in a VM.  If it is all diskettes there is a program that will create images from them that should be recognised as virtual diskettes in most VMs.  If it is diskettes plus CD then you have the diskette images on the CD.  It is even possible to make a bootable CD for Warp 3 and Warp 4 although it does require a few changes to the contents of the first two diskettes - adding the Dani drivers for a start if my memory is correct, I did it with first 3 and then, when it came available 4.