Author Topic: Installing IBM Pen for OS/2?  (Read 8339 times)

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
Installing IBM Pen for OS/2?
« on: January 09, 2014, 04:05:11 am »
I've downloaded the "Pen for OS/2" package (v4penos2_2.zip on Hobbes) and am trying to install it on my X60t.

However, every time I try to run PINSTALL.EXE I get this error popup stating that Pen is already running.  (It isn't.)  Selecting OK causes nothing else to happen, and I can't install it.

Does anyone know of a solution?

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Re: Installing IBM Pen for OS/2?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:27:43 am »
I do not recall exactly the process ID but before installing PEN you have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then the Processlist. There you have to kill the mm... process (sorry, do not know exactly the name, but it is the mmpm related process). Once done this start the Installation again.

One more hint: Please do not install any driver with PEN as those are not working and not necessary :-)

With my X200t not all PEN applications have been working, i.e. the ones to learn the strokes etc. But the Tutorial i.e. is great to read :-)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:17:47 pm by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 02:48:48 pm »
Yeah, killing MMHELPDD.EXE did the trick. Thanks!

At first glance, the popup keyboard seems to work, as do the 'gesture only' and 'mouse button 2' functions.  The writing recognition doesn't seem to do anything, though I haven't played with it extensively yet.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 01:12:37 am »
Did that, killed that file. I let the install program installing pen for os/2, this time it did run, but with the instruction not to update my config.sys. First thing I did was going to the config.sys from pen for os/2. It didn't seem harmfull what it wanted to do, so I swapped files and give it a try. The first problem was ibmlanlk which stopped the system. Did boot to maintenance partition, did put a rem before the line in the config.sys on main system and try again. No succes, again halted system with an error of internal revision something. Puzzled. Did go back, renamed the config.sys and copied my old back, restart and here we are. Now you use pen for os/2, as what I read with eCS 2.x, I'm still on 1.2 Dutch. Any suggestions in what corner I have too look?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 02:39:33 pm »
Hi Alex

Can you tell me which drivers are you loading? and the config.sys line for the pen to work on the X60t?
I'm just curious.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.