Author Topic: OS/4 kernel does not support tracing related statements in config.sys  (Read 2000 times)

Lars

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 20
    • View Profile
OS/4 kernel does not support the TRACE and TRACEBUF statements. It displays that these statements are not valid and continues to boot (the same holds true for VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT but I guess that was intentional).
This is even true with the OS/4 debug as well as retail kernels.
This is a serious limitation because for example it's the only way for David's / my USB drivers to log operational info on a user's end machine. Without any tracing, it's impossible to determine why a driver won't work on a user's machine (except for flat HW traps which can be located by other means).
Again, this renders the OS/4 kernel incompatible with the existing OS/2 kernels.

Lars

ff4

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • View Profile
Re: OS/4 kernel does not support tracing related statements in config.sys
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 06:42:14 pm »
It would be easier when you wont start a new thread when there is already one containing the same information. The current state of strace is the one that you already see on your system - its not working and at the moment not supported. This means debugging with a com terminal is required.

Boris

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:33:23 pm »
OS/4 kernel does not support the TRACE and TRACEBUF statements. It displays that these statements are not valid and continues to boot (the same holds true for VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT but I guess that was intentional).
This is even true with the OS/4 debug as well as retail kernels.
This is a serious limitation because for example it's the only way for David's / my USB drivers to log operational info on a user's end machine. Without any tracing, it's impossible to determine why a driver won't work on a user's machine (except for flat HW traps which can be located by other means).
Again, this renders the OS/4 kernel incompatible with the existing OS/2 kernels.

Lars

STRACE support is discontinued in Phoenix kernel.
LIABILITY DISCLAIMER: this is how I understand and what I know, I may be highly inaccurate, or even completely wrong! There are no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the contents of my posts. Think on your own!

Lars

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:54:51 pm »
1) STRACE is something different than TRACE. STRACE performance tracing is not all that important. But ordinary tracing via TRACE is important.

2) getting COM output via serial port is not a viable replacement for tracing. How will I get output from an end customer's system ? Asking the customer to create a COM port log ? He is just going to show me the stiff little finger ...

Why do you think did I add tracing to the USB drivers ?

Lars

Boris

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 11:10:37 pm »
1) STRACE is something different than TRACE. STRACE performance tracing is not all that important. But ordinary tracing via TRACE is important.

2) getting COM output via serial port is not a viable replacement for tracing. How will I get output from an end customer's system ? Asking the customer to create a COM port log ? He is just going to show me the stiff little finger ...

Why do you think did I add tracing to the USB drivers ?

Lars
Well, I think, TRACE support is dicountinued too.

You may talk to the OS/4 developers on the #os2russian channel of the efnet IRC network.
LIABILITY DISCLAIMER: this is how I understand and what I know, I may be highly inaccurate, or even completely wrong! There are no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the contents of my posts. Think on your own!