Author Topic: USBAUDIO: now supports 24-bit and sample frequencies > 65535 Hz  (Read 1313 times)

Eugene Tucker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Re: USBAUDIO: now supports 24-bit and sample frequencies > 65535 Hz
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 05:44:16 pm »
It worked!!!!! Yay! Thank you so very much. You were correct in what was wrong.

David McKenna

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 05:52:38 pm »
 Hi Wim,

Thanks for all the development you've been doing on USB Audio! And thanks for the tip about the [defaultnames] section of MMPM2.INI! I had UniAud installed and working and added USB audio, but could never get the USB sound working by switching the 'Default Waveaudio Device' setting in 'Multimedia Setup'. After reboot it would still use Uniaud, so I just uninstalled UniAud to get USB audio to work.

After seeing your MMPM2.INI tip, I tried again and discovered that when you switch the 'Default Waveaudio Device' setting in 'Multimedia Setup', only the 'Waveaudio=....' line in the [defaultnames] section of MMPM2.INI is changed. Apparently that is not enough, an 'Ampmix=...' line corresponding to the 'Waveaudio=...' line is also needed. Once I added the Ampmix line and rebooted, USB audio worked.

This seems like either a bug, or a setup problem with MMOS/2 as the Waveaudio device should be associated with the proper mixer automatically, no?

Lars

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 08:20:21 am »
Hi Wim,

Thanks for all the development you've been doing on USB Audio! And thanks for the tip about the [defaultnames] section of MMPM2.INI! I had UniAud installed and working and added USB audio, but could never get the USB sound working by switching the 'Default Waveaudio Device' setting in 'Multimedia Setup'. After reboot it would still use Uniaud, so I just uninstalled UniAud to get USB audio to work.

After seeing your MMPM2.INI tip, I tried again and discovered that when you switch the 'Default Waveaudio Device' setting in 'Multimedia Setup', only the 'Waveaudio=....' line in the [defaultnames] section of MMPM2.INI is changed. Apparently that is not enough, an 'Ampmix=...' line corresponding to the 'Waveaudio=...' line is also needed. Once I added the Ampmix line and rebooted, USB audio worked.

This seems like either a bug, or a setup problem with MMOS/2 as the Waveaudio device should be associated with the proper mixer automatically, no?

I don't know if you can name it a bug. I rather think that WPS blindly uses the first audio device for audio playback instead of explicitely asking for the "default" audio device. The result is that if you double click on a sound file, the first audio device (which is the one appearing on the very left of the Waveaudio= and Ampmix= line in MMPM2.INI) will be used. I think the "default" setting is ignored by about any application and that's the problem.

Lars

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 08:23:20 am »
Then I suspect that we will have to wait for Lars to put the latest versions up on hobbes.

BTW, I asked that question because I have found in the past that people forget to put minstall into the directory with the files they are installing.

No need to put "minstall" into the directory where the installation files are located. What you have to do though is switch to that directory and run the installation from there by invoking "minstall /*".

David McKenna

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
    • View Profile
 Hi Lars,

I don't know if you can name it a bug. I rather think that WPS blindly uses the first audio device for audio playback instead of explicitely asking for the "default" audio device. The result is that if you double click on a sound file, the first audio device (which is the one appearing on the very left of the Waveaudio= and Ampmix= line in MMPM2.INI) will be used. I think the "default" setting is ignored by about any application and that's the problem.

Further fiddling shows me that just by having the line 'Ampmix=....' in the [defaultnames] section is all that is needed to get sound where I want it. So this:

[defaultnames]
Ampmix=UNIAUDAMPMIX01

gets sounds out of the soundcard (apps and double clicking files) and this:

[defaultnames]
Ampmix=WMBAMPMIXUSB01

gets sounds out of the USB speakers.

I can't believe this is how MMOS/2 is intended to work, since there are no 'Ampmix' tabs in the Multimedia Setup object. Something isn't quite right. Can you point me to any documents that describe the contents or creation of the MMPM2.INI file? Google doesn't get me anything useful....

Lars

• Thank You
    • View Profile
Hi Lars,

Further fiddling shows me that just by having the line 'Ampmix=....' in the [defaultnames] section is all that is needed to get sound where I want it. So this:

[defaultnames]
Ampmix=UNIAUDAMPMIX01

gets sounds out of the soundcard (apps and double clicking files) and this:

[defaultnames]
Ampmix=WMBAMPMIXUSB01

gets sounds out of the USB speakers.

I can't believe this is how MMOS/2 is intended to work, since there are no 'Ampmix' tabs in the Multimedia Setup object. Something isn't quite right. Can you point me to any documents that describe the contents or creation of the MMPM2.INI file? Google doesn't get me anything useful....

No there is no documentation. It's all trial and error (as so often in OS/2). When I look at the DDK code for all the MMPM related stuff (drivers as well as MMPM subsystem) I have the strong impression that all this stuff was hastily hacked together to have something working. Adding "OS/2 for PowerPC" support to the code base made the souce code even more messy.

However, now that you found out, I am thinking about adding a page to the Multimedia Object to allow setting the "default" mixer. Or it could be done via USBAUDIF.DLL (the VSD replacement for AUDIOIF.DLL).
Of course it would be even better if the "USB WaveAudio" page in the Multimedia Objekt would change that setting along with setting the default WAVE device.
I am pretty sure there is an MCI API function that allows to set the default mixer and the change should then make it into MMPM2.INI. In the past I had written an uninstall utility for UNIAUD using the MCI functions and those would also modify the MMPM2.INI file where necessary.