Author Topic: Is eComStation DEAD?  (Read 95624 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Is eComStation DEAD?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 04:22:33 pm »
Just checking the news: BareMetal OS gets TCP/IP - BareMetal is an open source (BSD 3 Clauses) 64-bit OS for x86-64 based computers.  The OS is written entirely in Assembly

I'm amazed to see how many open source OS projects (that are not Linux based) are available that keep going, I'm not sure, but I think they are a smaller community than us, and have a very good progress.

Other interesting thing (but not related) is that Plan 9 is now released under GNU GPL.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 06:15:52 pm »
At the end eCs / os2 dies when you can't use it anymore and this depends on what you want to do.

This is the key. Somebody who needs 3D animation (for example) cannot use eCS, or OS/2.

we are dumping all our ECS 2.1 machines and replacing them with 6 in house built windows 8 machines.

My sympathies.   :'(

the years of no real improvements have made the subscription expense exceed what we would have spent on windows (sorry, accounting proved it)

Did accounting include all of the expenses to keep windows actually working? Probably not, but they will find a way to hide that since they missed it. I will also argue with you over "no real improvements". That depends on what you mean by "improvements". If you are talking about adding 3D video, you are probably right. If you are talking about supporting new hardware, and fixing a LOT of the basic problems (especially with SMP), you are wrong. Again, it depends on what you are trying to do.

OS/2 is good for hobbyists. otherwise OS/2 is indeed dead.

I will argue with that too. OS/2 is good for anybody who can find an adequate program to do what they want/need to do. There are very few things that actually require more than what OS/2 does, and some of the stuff that is coming down the pipe will shift that line toward the OS/2 side. Unfortunately, it is taking a long time to get it done, and it is obvious that some things will never get done, and that forces people to decide to go elsewhere. That is partly because of manpower limitations, but it is also partly because of people who seem to think that they don't need to support the project. Because of that, the funds available to do what needs to be done, are reduced, and that means that it takes longer to get things done. Of course, that is like a runaway snowball. As it takes longer to accomplish something more people bail out, and the faster it goes downhill.

I will acknowledge that Mensys has not done the best job of managing the project, but they seem to be learning as they go along. I will also acknowledge that there are a lot of people out there who do not even pretend to help, in any way.

The bottom line is, that eCS is only as dead as the users want it to be. So far, more users seem to want to keep it alive, than want to kill it, but it is getting closer to the edge, every day.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 09:00:45 am »
Hi Sigurd,

You might consider sending a  polite inquiry to Georgina Beels, the Sales and Marketing Manager of XEU.com B.V.

http://nl.linkedin.com/pub/georgina-beels/b/622/642

See attachment for her e-mail address.

She understands German well.

Regards, Wim.

Hi Wim,

thanks for the information. I wrote an email yesterday morning - no reply so far. I will report if there is any.

Sigurd

Just for the records: There has been no reply so far. And I do not expect to receive some in the future.  :-X

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 04:14:01 am »
uhm.. I can not longer login on the Mensys.nl site. Was the login box on the main page?

When I try to order eCS clicking "order" it gave me an error "ERROR. The requested URL could not be retrieved"

I'm not sure if it is only me or I can not longer access the Mensys site where you was able to download eCS 2.1 and ACPI.
Can someone else with an active account check on that ?
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 04:43:32 am »
Hi Martin

It seems the login page https://shop.mensys.nl/cgi-bin/db2www/mns_ent2.d2w/input has gone missing from the mensys website.

Maybe there is some re-configuration/update under way.

Regards

Pete

hvilsted

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 12:18:06 pm »
Hi Martin,

I have no problem logging in - https://shop.mensys.nl/cgi-bin/db2www/mns_ent2.d2w/input?r=1392721874007

Rgds
Jan

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 02:42:07 am »
Hi Jan

Yes, working here now as well so I guess the problem was that the webpage simply was not available when I tried.

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 08:15:12 am »
Good, I also see it working back. Thanks for letting me know.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

muffetta

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 11:59:00 pm »
Late arrival or it is known that for anyone who has a software subscription there are no more files available?
But end up to provide support for a product in this way? without notifying the customers? And if i need to download a new copy of eCS? or simply i don't remember my serials?
Finally dead then, without warning :-X !!!

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2014, 12:22:06 am »
Hi

It was new to me.

I just checked and from ecomstation.com the download link brings me a "You tried to download a file that either does not exist or you do not have access to." message. Almost all the link are down, some other works ( eComStation 1.2 downloads ), but almost all are dead links.

The Mensys.nl site is loading very slow from here.  I was able to get the serial numbers (slowly) and the download page loads, but there are no links to get the files.

I'm not sure if it is "the end", but it looks more like a failure of the site.  Let's see if it gets fixed on the next days, otherwise... :)

Regards
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:06:15 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

eirik

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2014, 03:25:27 pm »
Dear all,

in stead of speculating in the absence of news for Xeu/Mensys on these pages, I emailed them asking if there was any reason why I should renew my software subscription.  This is the answer I got:

Eirik,
I can understand your concern. Mensys and Xeu.com are working on these issues, but I can not give you any details yet.
Please renew your subsciprtion, we will not disappoint you!
Regards, Menso (de Jong -- my addition)

... so instead of getting into Kremlinology (the term for speculation about what happened behind the "Iron curtain" in the ol' days before Grobatchev and Perestrojka, and before the return of Mr. Putin), we should just get the news from the source -- it is available.  Me for one, I am willing to risk it, and I will renew my Software subscription.  If more people do, that also sends a signal to Xeu/Mensys that we are in for the long haul as long as they are.  Getting a new platform up and running is no trivial task.

Martin says some new platform even has TCP/IP.  Great, but OS/2 / eCS has a lot more.  For example I can without hazzle connect to the Windows server disks at the university where I work, and I have most of the tools I need for doing my work on my Thinkpad T410.  With expected developments in ACPI/APM I expect OS/2 / eCS to run once my T410 is replaced with a T450? in a years'  time.

Quit speculating, and get around = just do it!
Eirik

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2014, 03:49:29 pm »
Quit speculating, and get around = just do it!
Eirik

Hi Eirik,

I would suggest the best one can do is to wait what will happen with the new company by Lewis Rosendahl.

Mensys failed with eCS 2.2, almost no information came from XEU since, I remeber only one posted by Menso de Jong at the ecomstation news portal that later has been deleted (post on 28th May) "We apologize bla bla bla , working hard on bla bla bla... " The reason was obvious - some discussed the same thing - should we need to get money back for existing SSS?

Unfortunately there are almost no new news about the new organisation since it was announced, so no evidence wether it  and what will happen or not. eComStation IS DEAD and if the new organization will not start to work this will be the end for OS/2 at all.

But it seems to me much better to save the money and spend it to the new organisation than giving it to XEU, as 

- frequently the servers are down at Mensys/XEU
- information is ZERO from there
- there has been nothing new published since...

Do not waste your money, keep it for something hopefully better.

Even though - one has for sure to decide where to spend his money  8)

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2014, 05:27:09 pm »
I have been watching the developement of ReactOS and OSFree as backup in case eCS goes away. I believe they are actively working on ReactOS and OSFree.  8)
http://www.reactos.org    8)    http://osfree.org.

I think it would be neat if IBM decided to take back OS/2 - eCS and continue developement of it. I think it would be an alternative to Windows (especially the direction Microsoft seems to be taking it). It might never happen but one can dream.  ::)
BigGoofyGuy

muffetta

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2014, 07:28:10 pm »
Golden words, maybe! Too smart. A chance to redeem himself and get rid of the competition with a single blow! Would be the hit of the millennium and the rebirth of IT! How to say "Okay Gentlemen, cheating until now, you won all, now, with your permission ... this card wins all and cleans also the flat .. I'm sorry ... but this is what I wanted from the beginning ... OS/2 Warp 5!!"
This spot says much more than any words
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Vtd1VRQx0
Wonderful when she says to be quiet and then take away both with one shot!!
God times  ;D

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2014, 10:28:48 pm »
I think it would be an alternative to Windows
Man, you're 20 years late. ;-)

People, please either post stuff that adds info to a subject or create a new thread.