Author Topic: os2sam on bitcointalk.org  (Read 8987 times)

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
os2sam on bitcointalk.org
« on: April 11, 2014, 09:02:19 pm »
Just wondering if it's someone here ?

I keep thinking I should at least attempt to compile bfgminer for OS/2 so I can dump the laptop and run my miner via the server.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

dbanet

Re: os2sam on bitcointalk.org
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 01:20:51 am »
Mining on CPU is not now profitable because you will pay for electricity more than you'll get from mining.
Mining on GPU is not now possible on OS/2 because we have no videodriver that provides an interface to GPU that those miners use.

You may take a credit to buy billions of PCs and GPUs for it, install GNU/Linux on them, and mine *coins to sponsor the development of hardware videodrivers for OS/2 to install OS/2 then on those PCs and continue mining (to pay for the credit you've taken to buy the PCs, and the another one you've taken to buy all these OS/2s you've installed).

But I'm not sure neither in that there's a bank that would give you a credit for THAT, nor that you'd like this plan.

P. S. Also I've heard mining on GPUs are non-profitable, too... no, these must be false rumors!

Ian Manners

• Global Moderator
  • I am the computer, it is me.
    • View Profile
    • ComKal Networks Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 05:12:20 pm »
Hi Boris,

I've never mined on GPU's, and I agree with the unprofitable bit, it wouldn't get anywhere near the 80Gh/s I currently do..
I do know people still mine with GPU's but I suspect thats simply because they still have the setup, they certainly shouldn't expect to
make any money from it. In fact many current miner software nolonger supports CPU mining, and many are I suspect going to drop
GPU mining in the near future to stream line the code.

I use ASIC's incase your wondering :)

Compiling bfgminer would be the easy bit I suspect, the problem would more likely be the USB com drivers and/or HID drivers depending on what USB based miners you are using, and the interface chosen.
Cheers
Ian B Manners

dbanet

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 07:06:59 pm »
Uh-huh, so I think I've misunderstood you; you want to compile the program to use it to control your ASIC miner which is connected to your PC via USB, don't you?

Well, then, that is reasonable :)

The USBCOM drivers are really very out-of-date, and I think they need some attention (at least support FT232, or even support every chip which driver is compiled into Linux kernel). BTW, Martin is awaiting for proposals of how to spend the OS2World Commond Fund money...

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 11:41:39 pm »
Compiling bfgminer would be the easy bit I suspect, the problem would more likely be the USB com drivers and/or HID drivers depending on what USB based miners you are using, and the interface chosen.

Actually, libusb should be able to handle the usb part..... hmm seems libusb is used for 'Note that libusb-dev is required for not just Ztex, but also X6500 FPGAs.' but other devices use serial ports
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:43:50 pm by Paul Smedley »