Author Topic: Breaking OS/2 news, new OS/2 company! New OS/2?  (Read 30695 times)

dbanet

Re: Breaking OS/2 news, new OS/2 company! New OS/2?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 07:46:25 pm »
OSFree seems to be missing in action

It seems you really do misunderstand the amount of work needed for such a project.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 12:07:45 am »
Hi Boris.

Nobody misunderstood the quantity of work that is to create an OS/2 clone. Sadly OSfree does not have the funds or developer time to keep going. I really respect the developers that made it and created the plan. The development plan is very good and straight forward, but without developers it can not evolve as all of us we will like to.

I really think that the goal for an open source OS/2 clone is to focus in one component at the time, I said WPS on the past, but other have different approach like starting from the Kernel/Loader and other starting cloning the PM.

I appreciate valerius, since he stills code on it and make different kind of tests. But I think that Tommy might be right saying that "OSFree is missing it action", it does not mean something bad for the developers or project idea, just that the project is not advancing as we all like to.   But I insist that the good thing of open source is that we can take all efforts and join them together. So every open source effort on this platform will benefit all of us.

The other thing is that #OSfree IRC channel is available and I hang out there almost daily and help is always welcome. Any developer out there is welcome to join the IRC channel and check with valerius the progress and help with it.

Everybody is welcome to check valerius's latest commits to the project on sourceforge.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 12:17:04 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

dbanet

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 12:36:13 am »
Hi Boris.

Nobody misunderstood the quantity of work that is to create an OS/2 clone. Sadly OSfree does not have the funds or developer time to keep going. I really respect the developers that made it and created the plan. The development plan is very good and straight forward, but without developers it can not evolve as all of us we will like to.

I really think that the goal for an open source OS/2 clone is to focus in one component at the time, I said WPS on the past, but other have different approach like starting from the Kernel/Loader and other starting cloning the PM.

I appreciate valerius, since he stills code on it and make different kind of tests. But I think that Tommy might be right saying that "OSFree is missing it action", it does not mean something bad for the developers or project idea, just that the project is not advancing as we all like to.   But I insist that the good thing of open source is that we can take all efforts and join them together. So every open source effort on this platform will benefit all of us.

The other thing is that #OSfree IRC channel is available and I hang out there almost daily and help is always welcome. Any developer out there is welcome to join the IRC channel and check with valerius the progress and help with it.

Everybody is welcome to check valerius's latest commits to the project on sourceforge.

Are you fine? :)

I've started writing a reply to you three times, but every time I ended up erasing my message.

I just d-d-don't understand what t-t-the... what should I--
er-r-r...

dbanet

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 12:41:02 am »
O-o-oh sure!

Yes, that's what I'm gonna say to you.

Please check the thingy where notes from the "contact us" form on the os2world's main page fall to. There must be a letter form Pavel Shtemenko about BSD drivers porting project.

Also martin@os2world.com doesn't work.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 12:56:39 am »
Boris.

You just need to calm down, on this community all want the same thing, "To continue using OS/2 and eComStation".
We may have discussion on how we want that and different points of view, but there is no need to see every conversation like a fight.

You need to know the players of the community and learn how to communicate with them in a right way, otherwise you will create rejection.

The worst thing that can happen to you in a community is not getting complains, the worst thing is getting ignored.

I will check what is happening with OS2World contact form, the email seems to work fine but you can contact me at martiniturbide@gmail.com too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 01:00:35 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

dbanet

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 01:01:41 am »
Boris.

You just need to calm down, on this community all want the same thing, "To continue using OS/2 and eComStation".
We may have discussion between how we want that and different points of view, but there is no need to see every conversation like a fight.

You need to know the players of the community and learn how to communicate with them in a right way, otherwise you will create rejection.

The worst thing that can happen to you in a community is not getting complains, the worst thing is getting ignored.

I was not going to fight with anyone, it is just too... wrong to expect any "action" (I suppose, to give a fully completed OS/2 OSS replacement?) from a project aiming to rewrite 100% of an operating system and complain it hasn't done this yet. Also it is good to remember osFree currently has got 2 (two) developers, which are not spending their all spare time to it.

So I've replied that one is misunderstanding what osFree is... where can you see a fight?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 01:09:02 am by Boris »

dbanet

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 01:02:34 am »
but you can contact me at martiniturbide@gmail.com too.

Okay cool, I'll make Pasha copy the e-mail to this mailbox too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 01:08:00 am by Boris »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 01:36:15 am »
So I've replied that one is misunderstanding what osFree is... where can you see a fight?

Maybe I took it on the wrong side. But I think that is better to say "Remember that OSfree only have two developers, an that valerius keeps posting commits to OSfree source code to sourceforge. Remember that this kind of project requires a lot of work. Everybody is welcome to help, join and chat at #osfree" instead of "It seems you really do misunderstand the amount of work needed for such a project." I prefer my version, but that is just my personal opinion :)

But lets move on, I apology if it made you feel uncomfortable.
- The OS2world contact page is working fine (at least with my email).
- I got Pasha email, it is interesting but I need to discuss it with the rest of the OS2World staff. Sadly we are not known for being the fastest decision taking community on earth :)

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

dbanet

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 01:47:09 am »
But I think that is better to say "Remember that OSfree only have two developers, an that valerius keeps posting commits to OSfree source code to sourceforge. Remember that this kind of project requires a lot of work. Everybody is welcome to help, join and chat at #osfree" instead of "It seems you really do misunderstand the amount of work needed for such a project." I prefer my version, but that is just my personal opinion :)

Yes, yours is okay, but, taking into account that I'm not you and that all people differ slightly, I say I'm not that polite by default, and I usually answer in the same tone and manner to the person I'm replying to. So if I get "no action", I answer "you misunderstand". Maybe there are better ways to behave.

- I got Pasha email, it is interesting but I need to discuss it with the rest of the OS2World staff. Sadly we are not known for being the fastest decision taking community on earth :)

Yeah, nice. I'd be glad if you put Pasha's proposal on the public display as soon as possible, because he needs an answer really soon (AFAIR, June the 4th), because otherwise he will need to take another (non-OS/2) project to be able to buy some food to eat something, and hence no chance to work on OS/2 thingies for some time again. :(
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:17:48 am by Boris »

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 01:22:58 am »
OSFree seems to be missing in action

It seems you really do misunderstand the amount of work needed for such a project.

I have tried getting to http://www.osfree.org but it does not come up. It still does not come up as of 05-25-2014. There is another post indicating it is being worked on.
BigGoofyGuy

dbanet

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 11:53:56 am »
I have tried getting to http://www.osfree.org but it does not come up.
I've told you already there are problems with the site.
This is kind of stupid, but the free plan of the DNS hosting osfree.org is delegated to has got a limit just of three A records, so for now www.оsfree.org does not get resolved to the main site, but osfree.org does; check it out yourself.

No need to panic. It's just a web site.

I've already told him to change the DNS hosting to a better one (and even recommended the one I use), but still no action. :-\

There is another post indicating it is being worked on.
Sorry, couldn't you rephrase yourself please? I don't get you.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 11:55:35 am by Boris »

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 12:19:09 am »
I have tried getting to http://www.osfree.org but it does not come up.
I've told you already there are problems with the site.
This is kind of stupid, but the free plan of the DNS hosting osfree.org is delegated to has got a limit just of three A records, so for now www.оsfree.org does not get resolved to the main site, but osfree.org does; check it out yourself.

No need to panic. It's just a web site.

I've already told him to change the DNS hosting to a better one (and even recommended the one I use), but still no action. :-\

I tried the link. It comes up.  ;D Thanks.  8) I book marked the site.

There is another post indicating it is being worked on.
Sorry, couldn't you rephrase yourself please? I don't get you.

I will try but I could just end making it worse.  :-[

I think it is this thread that I was thinking of, the one indicating there are new interest in the development of eCS.

Hopefully I clarified it instead of confusing it more.
BigGoofyGuy