Author Topic: Compiling XPCOM (xpidl) fails -- need help!  (Read 20575 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
Compiling XPCOM (xpidl) fails -- need help!
« on: June 23, 2014, 05:38:28 am »
When compiling XPCOM it "craps out" when it gets to compiling XPIDL. Its looking for xpidl.o and there is no such file in the source or any other place I've searched. Anybody know where I can find xpidl.o? It looks like XPIDL could be replaced with PYXPIDL but I have no idea how a person would initiate this change in XPCOM. Thanks in advance for any ideas on how to solve this.

klipp

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Compiling XPCOM (xpidl) fails -- need help!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:03:45 am »
More information please. What exactly are you compiling and perhaps post the tail of your build.log with the exact error

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:04:12 pm »
Hi Dave, Thanks for responding, here is a little more info:
I'm trying to build a newer version of VirtualBox for OS/2-eCS. I've started with 3 older versions (1.6.0,1.6.6, and 2.2.4) hoping to get one to compile, and then move gradually up to newer versions. I started  out doing this (gcc) in eCS but have now moved to Linux (much faster, and more friendly). I've had my best success compiling with 2.2.4 but all versions have the same problems getting through the XPCOM compile. My latest efforts are first trying to compile a pure Linux build (no OS/2 target) just to get a feel of how a successful build would look!  -- it gives the same XPCOM  error! I'm a FAR CRY from an expierenced gcc user, but this looks to me like something missing in the source code. I'm compiling using kmk. Thanks again for any ideas.

klipp
******************************************************************************************************************
kBuild: Installing /home/klipp/1.6.6/out/linux.x86/release/stage/bin/sdk/include/xpcom/ipcd/ipcdclient.h
kBuild: Compiling xpidl - xpcom/typelib/xpidl/xpidl.c
In file included from /home/klipp/1.6.6/src/libs/xpcom18a4/xpcom/typelib/xpidl/xpidl.c:42:0:
/home/klipp/1.6.6/src/libs/xpcom18a4/xpcom/typelib/xpidl/xpidl.h:58:24: fatal error: xpt_struct.h: No such file or directory
 #include <xpt_struct.h>
                        ^
compilation terminated.
kmk[3]: *** [/home/klipp/1.6.6/out/linux.x86/release/obj/src/libs/xpcom18a4/xpidl/xpcom/typelib/xpidl/xpidl.o] Error 1
The failing command:
@gcc -c -O2 -pipe -ansi -Wall -Wno-unused -I/usr/include/libIDL-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -O -pthread -m32 -I/home/klipp/1.6.6/out/linux.x86/release/bin/sdk/include -I/home/klipp/1.6.6/out/linux.x86/release/bin/sdk/include/xpcom -I/home/klipp/1.6.6/out/linux.x86/release/bin/sdk/include/xpcom/nsprpub -I/home/klipp/1.6.6/out/linux.x86/release/bin/sdk/include/xpcom/string -I/home/klipp/1.6.6/out/linux.x86/release/bin/sdk/include/xpcom/xpcom -I/home/klipp/1.6.6/out/linux.x86/release/bin/sdk/include/xpcom/ipcd -I/home/klipp/1.6.6/include -I/home/klipp/1.6.6/out/linux.x86/release -DVBOX -DVBOX_OSE -DRT_OS_LINUX -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -D__X86__ -DMOZILLA_CLIENT=1 -DNDEBUG=1 -D_IMPL_NS_COM -DXPCOM_DLL_BASE=\"VBoxXPCOM\" -DMOZ_DLL_SUFFIX=\".so\" -DMOZ_PRESERVE_PIC -DEXPORT_XPT_API -DOSTYPE=\"Linux2.6\" -DOSARCH=\"Linux\" -DXP_UNIX=1 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DHAVE_VISIBILITY_ATTRIBUTE=1 -Di386=1 -Wp,-MD,/home/klipp/1.6.6/out/linux.x86/release/obj/src/libs/xpcom18a4/xpidl/xpcom/typelib/xpidl/xpidl.o.dep -Wp,-MT,/home/klipp/1.6.6/out/linux.x86/release/obj/src/libs/xpcom18a4/xpidl/xpcom/typelib/xpidl/xpidl.o -Wp,-MP -o /home/klipp/1.6.6/out/linux.x86/release/obj/src/libs/xpcom18a4/xpidl/xpcom/typelib/xpidl/xpidl.o /home/klipp/1.6.6/src/libs/xpcom18a4/xpcom/typelib/xpidl/xpidl.c
kmk[3]: Leaving directory `/home/klipp/1.6.6/src/libs/xpcom18a4'
kmk[2]: *** [pass_bldprogs_before] Error 2
kmk[2]: Leaving directory `/home/klipp/1.6.6/src/libs'
kmk[1]: *** [pass_bldprogs_before] Error 2
kmk[1]: Leaving directory `/home/klipp/1.6.6/src'
kmk: *** [pass_bldprogs_before] Error 2
klipp@Asus:~/1.6.6$

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 04:09:54 am »
Never built virtualbox and that's an old version of xpcom. I'd guess that for some reason the build isn't copying or symlinking xpcom/typelib/xpt/public/xpt_struct.h to /home/klipp/1.6.6/out/linux.x86/release/bin/sdk//include/xpcom. You could try manually copying or symlinking it as a temporary workaround, might need to do the same with xpt_xdr.h as well.
You're going to have to look earlier in your build log for where  /home/klipp/1.6.6/out/linux.x86/release/bin/sdk//include/xpcom gets populated and see if anything jumps out at you in the way of warnings, errors etc. kmk 2>&1 | tee build.log should create a build.log for leisurely examination. It is actually a build system error rather then a GCC error which only looks for include files where you tell it to.
Hopefully you don't have similar issues with the idl files, they're compiled into h files with help from libidl which you will need. Newer xpcom uses Python and the xpcom\typelib\xpidl only has a makefile.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 02:42:52 pm »
Klipp, you are not the only one having this type of problem, in fact http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/26/boffins_untangle_why_your_software_builds_fail/ it is a well known problem that world+dog are looking at.

I also have to say that I hope you are successful in your endeavour. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:48:07 pm by ivan »

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 04:57:09 pm »
Thanks for the response ivan -- I may have found a solution for the "XPCOM Landmine!"  but it  comes at a cost!  -- One step forward, 2 steps backward!

klipp

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 05:57:23 am »
Hey Dave, I've gotten by the XPCOM nightmare but now I'm hung up on something that should be so darned simple, but is blowing me away.  I'm now fighting: kmk: *** No rule to make target `/home/klipp/3.0.2/src/libs/curl-7.19.4/Makefile.kmk'.  Stop
There is no curl-7.19.4 in the source and downloading curl 7.19.4 doesn't work as it lacks a Makefile.kmk. any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks, klipp

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 08:10:33 pm »
Dumb Question!ยก!  Please ignore my previous post!

klipp

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 09:36:48 pm »
I've  XPCOM taken care of as well as a few other items but now I'm "stuck" again. Now the newer VBox sources need Python and I can't seem to get it (Python 2.7) installed in OS/2. This is pretty obviously something I'm doing wrong! Could someone who has it installed and working please explain in reasonable detail how it should be installed.

Thanks again in advance for any help rendered.  klipp

dbanet

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 12:07:02 am »
I've  XPCOM taken care of as well as a few other items but now I'm "stuck" again. Now the newer VBox sources need Python and I can't seem to get it (Python 2.7) installed in OS/2. This is pretty obviously something I'm doing wrong! Could someone who has it installed and working please explain in reasonable detail how it should be installed.

Thanks again in advance for any help rendered.  klipp

It seems you're not using RPM/YUM.

Install it, python will be installed and configured automatically.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 01:09:18 am »
Hi Boris, I've also tried YUM INSTALL PYTHON, but it throws an error saying python 26 is required! Guess its a pre-req.

klipp

dbanet

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 01:28:53 am »
Hi Boris, I've also tried YUM INSTALL PYTHON, but it throws an error saying python 26 is required! Guess its a pre-req.

klipp
What does python --version command output?

It seems that your rpm/yum installation is screwed. Try installing an arbitrary packet or doing a yum list, for example. Does that work?

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 01:55:19 am »
Boris, YUM works fine, YUM LIST lists the entire repository. I also installed  gcc & QT4 without problems using YUM.   python --version gives python 2.6.5

klipp

dbanet

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 02:13:36 am »
Boris, YUM works fine, YUM LIST lists the entire repository. I also installed  gcc & QT4 without problems using YUM.   python --version gives python 2.6.5

klipp

yum update?

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 03:09:25 am »
I did yum update, it updated several headers, but then did the following:

[D:\] yum install python
Setting up install process
error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#   134  region trailer:BAD,tag -1 type-1 offset 1 count -1
Package python-2.7.6-10.oc00.i386 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do

[D:\]python --version
Python 2.6.5

I'm outta here until tomorrow, (P.O'ed wife!) thanks for the help

klipp