Author Topic: Re-organizaing OS/2-eCS Directories.  (Read 62966 times)

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
Re: Re-organizaing OS/2-eCS Directories.
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 11:34:57 am »
It seems that "C:\DMISL" was also a no brainer. I moved it to "C:\OS2\SYSTEM\DMISL" and changed the config.sys to "SET DMIPATH=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\DMISL\BIN".... But I'm not sure what it does either. The SLDB.DMI file was recreated again on the next eCS boot on the new directory.

It's part of the "Problem Determination Tools" component.  Look in your "Installed Features" folder and examine "Feature Install Base" --> "Problem Determination Tools". 

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 03:01:00 pm »

That was the verdict at the time when we looked into this... And the question is if you want to break stuff yes or no...

Yes !!! I'm doing this on a VM, not at someone else home's machine or a business critical environment. I want to experiment and produce some kind documentation (this forum and OS2World Wiki), what is wrong with that?
At least I plan to share the results (failure or not) with the community instead of having it locked in my mind.

What is it wrong with the collaborative spirit? People had tried differnt stuff with OS/2-eCS and never talked about it... and when someone tries it the only thing they say is "NO", without reasons, without documentation, without explaining what went wrong in detail. We need to change that. Use the Wiki, use the forum, this is not twitter, anybody is free to write more than 140 characters.

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 03:03:11 pm »
The \Language directory is giving me some problems.

I'm moving it to \OS2\SYSTEM\LANGUAGE and changing the config.sys statement "ULSPATH=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\LANGUAGE" but on boot, when UNICODE.SYS loads it gaves me some errors that the files can not be found.

Maybe the path length is too much.

Regards
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:09:58 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 05:11:18 pm »
Hi Martin

You will probably find that UNICODE.SYS has a hard coded path for \LANGUAGE which will, of course, result in "file(s) not found" error messages.

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 05:49:23 pm »
Hi.

According this documentation (http://www.edm2.com/index.php/The_Config.sys_Documentation_Project/DEVICE_Statements#DEVICE.3DUNICODE.SYS)
Unicode.SYS may have the path harcoded but only if you put the "-L" parameter to overide the Config.sys.

So, I'm not sure.

I have this Unicode.sys version.
Code: [Select]
Signature:       @#IBM:14.093#@ - Unicode DD
Vendor:          IBM
Revision:        14.93
File Version:    14.93
Description:     - Unicode DD
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 07:25:37 pm »
Putting "Language" aside for the moment...

It seems that "IBMLAN" is also not problematic.

I moved it (Close the active process running about it), and changed the config.sys.

Code: [Select]
     DEVICE=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\IBMLAN\NETPROG\RDRHELP.200
    IFS=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\IBMLAN\NETPROG\NETWKSTA.200 /I:C:\OS2\SYSTEM\IBMLAN /N
    DEVICE=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\IBMLAN\NETPROG\VNETAPI.OS2
    LIBPATH=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\IBMLAN\NETLIB;
    PATH=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\IBMLAN\NETPROG;
    DPATH=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\IBMLAN\NETPROG;C:\OS2\SYSTEM\IBMLAN;
    HELP=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\IBMLAN\NETPROG;
    BOOKSHELF=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\IBMLAN\NETPROG;
    SET NWDBPATH=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\IBMLAN\NETPROG
    SET DLSINI=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\IBMLAN\NETPROG\NETGUI.INI
    RUN=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\IBMLAN\NETPROG\LSDAEMON.EXE
    RUN=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\IBMLAN\NETPROG\VNRMINIT.EXE

I'm no expert in IBM LAN Manager, but the programs still runs, I also did set Net commands and seems to work fine. It will be interesting to try to test it against other OS/2 machine on the network.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 11:28:03 pm »
Nope, no documentation...

That was the verdict at the time when we looked into this... And the question is if you want to break stuff yes or no...
Roderick, I understand completely your intention not to move OS/2 system dirs. But, from the current POV it might have been a good point of time to do so in the early days of eCS. That would have created a new standard, which would be fully accepted in this time.

Do you have similar thoughts (just out of curiosity)?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 06:24:28 pm »
IBMCOM is giving me some problems.

Everything boots and works, network adapter and protocols, after moving the content and changing the config.sys.

But when I run "System Setup->Network->Adapters and Proptocols", it access, I click "Configure MPTS", and that moment it only shows the blank white screen that seems to be looping with something. And I need to kill the process to get out.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:33:10 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 07:45:05 pm »
But when I run "System Setup->Network->Adapters and Proptocols", it access, I click "Configure MPTS", and that moment it only shows the blank white screen that seems to be looping with something.

Try to delete C:\IBMLVL.INI or edit it (using INI editor).

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 01:01:58 am »
But when I run "System Setup->Network->Adapters and Proptocols", it access, I click "Configure MPTS", and that moment it only shows the blank white screen that seems to be looping with something.

Try to delete C:\IBMLVL.INI or edit it (using INI editor).
Just using a text editor I see it has the path to my ibmcom directory.  I renamed the file and it rebuilt the ibmlvl.ini but the path now shows as:  PATH \I\IBMCOM   so you'd need to use the ini editor approach and change the path.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 10:25:22 am »
the path now shows as:  PATH \I\IBMCOM
It should be "C:\I\IBMCOM".

"C:".

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 04:50:04 pm »
the path now shows as:  PATH \I\IBMCOM
It should be "C:\I\IBMCOM".

"C:".
Well, your close... had it recreated it correctly on it its own it would have been d:\ibmcom but then that was the point.  It does not recreate it correctly if you delete it and let it recreate, thus why the INI editor approach is necessary.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 06:43:00 pm »

Yes !!! I'm doing this on a VM, not at someone else home's machine or a business critical environment. I want to experiment and produce some kind documentation (this forum and OS2World Wiki), what is wrong with that?
At least I plan to share the results (failure or not) with the community instead of having it locked in my mind.

What is it wrong with the collaborative spirit? People had tried differnt stuff with OS/2-eCS and never talked about it... and when someone tries it the only thing they say is "NO", without reasons, without documentation, without explaining what went wrong in detail. We need to change that. Use the Wiki, use the forum, this is not twitter, anybody is free to write more than 140 characters.

Go to what I wrote and read it carefully. First of all the thing is you can test this. The only detail is you simply do not have access to all software and scripts to test this. So question is if your tests are sufficient enough to conclude that this directories moving around is something that will work  reliable.

Second as I said you might simply make the LIBPATH & PATH longer and its the question if that is something that is worth it...

The only thing that happens dis that we looked at this years ago at Mensys. And as is not a public surprise at Mensys we did not have a whole team to put conclusions we researched in a wiki of some sort. I simply remember the conclusion and wish I could have remembered the details from about 8 years ago, but thats ife..

So while I want to change it. In this case I can only tell you the details of this if I go back in time and can hear the discussion again

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 06:58:34 pm »
Nope, no documentation...

Roderick, I understand completely your intention not to move OS/2 system dirs. But, from the current POV it might have been a good point of time to do so in the early days of eCS. That would have created a new standard, which would be fully accepted in this time.

Do you have similar thoughts (just out of curiosity)?

Years ago when we worked on eCS 1.1 or 1.2 we looked at the directory structure. Sadly I only remember the conclusion we where wondering if we would not open up Pandora's  box.
We had some cases where we found fixed paths... One example I remember now that has floated around in my head this topic.

Please check:
\ecs\install\rsp\migrate.cmd
Comment: /* remove syslevelfiles to make sure IBM installer doesn't choke */

What I remember is that the peer installer when you have it installed on the boot drive and then do a miigrate of the network installation to another drive the peer installer would blow up.
The reason was it was also checking the BOOT drive. So your bootdrive for example is drive C: and you reinstall networking support to drive D:.
The instaler would allways check boodrive\IBMLAN. While not a path fix its an example of fixed path code left...

Martin already bumped into two problems one with MPTS and the other with UNICODE.SYS. My only point is how many other older applications this could simply break...
Apps  you might not have access to...

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 07:42:54 pm »
Hi

I need to understand more about INI editing. Which tools do you recommend for it ?

I hope I can continue testing tomorrow.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster