Author Topic: AMD 8-Core, UEFI and eCS 2.1 a No Go  (Read 9263 times)

Ben

AMD 8-Core, UEFI and eCS 2.1 a No Go
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:17:33 pm »
I recently bought an AMD 8-core computer.

I took the hard drives, (one with a working copy of eCS 2.1), from my old machine, (Intel 4-core), and put them into the new machine.

When I try to load eCS 2.1 from the new machine I get a Trapd on start up.

I tried the eCS 2.1 installation CD with similar results.

I tried Lars Erdmann's solution(s) as far as I could take it, but I do not have a copy of eCS 2.2 beta, so some of his options are not open to me.

Enabling ACPI in the eCS 2.1 boot disk prevents the trap, but the system stops right after, (during?), the kernel load(?) providing no additional data. Using Alt-F2 provides nothing new either.

Has anyone been able to get eCS 2.1 working on a similar setup?

Thanks.

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
Re: AMD 8-Core, UEFI and eCS 2.1 a No Go
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 01:43:45 pm »

do you disable EFI?
did you tried boot with danis506
did you switched USB 3.0 to 2.0?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 02:39:52 pm »
Check the mainboard and the BIOS options.

On Intel, for example, you can change the UEFI to Legacy mode.

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 03:48:59 pm »
Thanks for replying people.

I'll list Lars' solution to avoid repeats:

Hallo,

my PC died and it was too old to fix it. I therefore pulled out the SATA harddisk, got a new PC and installed the harddisk. I did not have a close look at the new PC, I was kind of in a hurry. The new PC has an AsRock "Extreme4 blablabla something" MOBO with an 8 core AMD CPU.

1) the new PC has an UEFI BIOS. On the other hand, it also has CSM (compatibility support module -> legacy BIOS "fake") which is enabled.

2) the new PC allows/expects hard disks with the conventional MBR layout (instead of GPT layout). Therefore my existing harddisk is OK to use without any change.

3) the new PC allows to only activate 1 core out of the possible 8 cores. I did so for what follows.

4) the new PC supports AHCI but also IDE compatibility mode. I tried both. If I tried with AHCI I always made sure that I selected OS2AHCI.ADD as the first hard disk driver via the setup menu, see below.

I now have the problem that my OS/2 partition is corrupted and needs a chkdsk. I thought I'd just boot with the install CD, go to maintenance console, open a command line and fix it (plus update the CONFIG.SYS to match the new HW). Just booting the partition was not an option as it would hang after loading IBM1FLPY.ADD (obviously something to remove as I no longer have a floppy drive ...).

a) if I boot with eCS 1.2 install CD and after doing my selections in the setup menu, I get a trap in SCREEN01.SYS (presumably). It does not matter what options I select as I found out that I need ACPI.PSD in order to prevent the trap

b) if I boot with eCS 2.0 install CD and after doing my selections in the setup menu, I'll get a hang with ACPI.PSD selected. Looks like the ACPI.PSD is too old (it's the one predating David's builds). If I do not select ACPI.PSD, I'll get the trap as in a)

c) if I boot with eCS 2.1 install CD, see b)

d) if I boot with eCS 2.2 beta preview CD and after doing my selections in the setup menu, it boots fine. But it does not allow to access any harddisk partitions ...

I have UEFI set to UEFI & Legacy in the BIOS.

With respect to the eCS 2.1 boot CD, I tried the different variants of Dani506 that are available as well as all options available to ACPI and did some config.sys editing as mentioned in Lars' post above.

I know of no way of "disabling" EFI other than mentioned above; I am assuming that is what you meant Eugene.

With regard to switching USB 3 to 2, I did not see that option in my BIOS, but I'm going to give it another look after this post incase I overlooked it.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 04:22:29 pm »
Hi Ben

Just to have more information about your AMD 8-core computer.
Can you tell the mainboard brand and model and your AMD processor model?

...just a wild shot... I had found very strange behavior of eCS 2.1 installation when the media CD is corrupt, can you also check that (sorry if it is too basic).

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:49:05 pm »
With eCS 2.1 you are most likely stuck!

You need to boot the machine in legacy mode and not UEFI.

Second you need to load ACPI. But could try to load with he switches /!NOD.
The problem is its an old version of ACPI that is in eCS 2.1 and the newer version has made a lot of headway!

Also the OS2AHCI driver included in eCS 2.1 its realy the question is it will work...

So I am afraid you need eCS 2.2 beta 2...

Roderick

Ben

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 05:08:57 pm »
I was able to turn off USB 3.0, but to no avail.

My motherboard is an ASUS M5A99X EVO R.20

The eCS 2.1 CD loads fine on all other machines, so while it has been used a bit, it still works OK. 8)

The eCS installation on my hard disk is using the ACPI drivers from the eCS 2.2 beta Demo CD; I can only assume that they are the same as on the eCS 2.2 Beta CD itself, (non Demo), but that might not be the case. I'm reluctant to buy the eCS 2.2 Beta CD because of that and because it may never be completed... hence hard to justify the expenditure.

I'll consider all other possibilities first... and maybe revisit that option then... assuming that it is an option of course.

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 10:09:03 pm »
The latest eCS v2.2 beta installed very easily on my ASUS A88X-Plus motherboard.   The CPU is an AMD four core A10 6800K .  I think I tried to install eCS v2.1 but I recall I had difficulty doing so and abandoned v 2.1 for the beta v2.2.

I hope this is helpful.

Joe Kempf