Author Topic: How to get ride of HPFS386  (Read 21437 times)

Andi B.

• View Profile
How to get ride of HPFS386
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:24:08 pm »
I've used HPFS386 in the past. But now my boot partition is JFS since a long time and the only HPFS partition is one for maintenance boot.

I was in the impression I only have to change in config.sys -
Code: [Select]
IFS=m:\IBM386FS\HPFS386.IFS /A:*
CALL=m:\OS2\CMD.EXE /Q /C m:\IBM386FS\CACHE386.EXE
to
IFS=M:\OS2\HPFS.IFS /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:4 /AUTOCHECK:*

But if I reboot I get strange errors. First in the middle of the screen between other drivers saying something there is not enough memory. Think it's after loading sddhelp.sys. After hitting Enter
SYS0613: Not enough memory is available for....and after hitting Enter again a Trap 000e.

Surely HPFS386 cache needs a lot more memory than the 2MB of HPFS. And even with HPFS386 I've >200MB shared memory left. So do not understand the complains about memory.

Any help?

eirik

Re: How to get ride of HPFS386
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:09:48 pm »
Hi Andi,

I've done like you and boot from JFS.  I have no memory issue like the one you describe which is odd as I have the exact same statement as you:

IFS=D:\OS2\HPFS.IFS /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:4 /AUTOCHECK:*

In case the memory issue is related to placement/order, consider the first lines in my config.sys:

PSD=ACPI.PSD
DEVICE=D:\ECS\BOOT\MOUSE.SYS

REM [ Device Drivers ]
DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\UNICODE.SYS
IFS=D:\ecs\boot\ntfs.ifs /RO:*
IFS=D:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:*
IFS=D:\OS2\HPFS.IFS /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:4 /AUTOCHECK:*
IFS=D:\ECS\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:2048 /H /Q /EAS

Hope this proves helpful for you / Eirik

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:42:45 pm »
Hi Andy,

Trying to remember back 14 years to when we first setup our HPFS386 boot partition on our main server. 

I seem to remember that you couldn't just change from HPFS to HPFS386 without reformatting the partition, just changing lines in config.sys did not work and I assume it applies in reverse.  If that is the case - just remember it was a long time ago - backup what you have added, format as necessary and reinstall.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:49:44 pm »
Since you said that you don't use HPFS

Zip -Srg9 x:\maintenance.zip m:\*

Format maintenance with JFS

CD  x:\OS2\INSTALL\BOOTDISK

SYSINSTX M:

Unzip x:\maintenance.zip

(I use maintenance as test system and regularly wipe it and unzip install it - takes less then 2 min.)

REM IFS=D:\OS2\HPFS.IFS /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:4 /AUTOCHECK:*

Also Ivan is correct they can't be switch without a reformat (386 => HPFS), so you may as well format it with JFS and get rid of HPFS completely(free up some memory).

And if for some reason you want to keep HPFS, 386 is way better why change it ?

Greggory
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:19:49 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 10:18:01 pm »
I'm pretty sure I went from HPFS to HPFS386 and back again without needing to do any reformatting. Perhaps if you format with HPFS386, you can't go to plain HPFS.
There were also some fixes for HPFS, large disks and memory problems but that was a long time ago.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 10:23:25 am »
I want to go back to HPFS cause I think I can save some memory. AOO and some Java apps needs a lot of them and I've no need any more for 50MB cache for HPFS (the only reason why I sticked to HPFS386 since years). Maybe I should only decrease the value in hpfs386.ini.

My problem seems to be a timing one. Even disabling HPFS completely or hiding HPFS partitions (removing drive letter) does not help. I get various 'out of memory errors' during boot in different places followed by TRAP 000e or TRAP 000d depending on sorting of config.sys. And/or dllbasing on/off and reming out netwstat.200 (?) or some other network related statements.

Only timing problem I'm aware of is Genmac and Helperw.sys which is _not_ installed on that system. Maybe the combination of switch.os2 (VirtualPC) and vbox.sys does make some trouble too as I remember it wasn't easy to get VPC and VBOX working together. But that's only a guess.

This system works fine since about 7 years (different harddisks, lan driver, kernels, ACPI version....). I think I've switched between HPFS386/HPFS previous without any troubles. But this time....

Maybe it's not worth to invest much time anymore as I plan to build a new system anyway. But for that I only want to copy over my current installation which will give me the same problems probably. :-( OTOH I do not like bugs I can not clearly identify and resolve or work around.

dbanet

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 02:43:36 pm »
Have you tried analyzing the memory with Theseus?

What are your VAL, PROCESSES, THREADS?

Do you load DLLs high?

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 05:46:19 pm »
@Boris - Theseus during boot before it traps?

After booting with HPFS386 I've plenty of memory free. But latest AOO eats a lot and only partially frees them when closing with dlls are loaded high --> no more than 5 to 15 open/close cycles possible (depending on other running software).

OTOH it just comes to my mind that I can not increase Virtualaddresslimit above 15xx as bootup stops with AFAIR 'out of memory' too. Another mystery maybe not related.

dbanet

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 07:14:45 pm »

Whenever you have troubles with memory.

OTOH it just comes to my mind that I can not increase Virtualaddresslimit above 15xx as bootup stops with AFAIR 'out of memory' too. Another mystery maybe not related.

IFSes reside their cache in the system memory arena, i. e. above VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT.
If you fail to boot if you increase VAL value, then, apparently, something fails to allocate enough memory in the system arena, cuz you've made it too small by increasing the user arena, and causes your system to stop operating.

JFS also caches a lot, not HPFS386 only.

After booting with HPFS386 I've plenty of memory free. But latest AOO eats a lot and only partially frees them when closing with dlls are loaded high --> no more than 5 to 15 open/close cycles possible (depending on other running software).

It doesn't seem to me that HPFS386 and your AOO4 memory issues are directly related. If AOO4 leaks memory with DLLs loaded high, first, check you marked the DLLs' code section to load high, not the data one. If it still leaks, I'd file a bug if I were you, cuz it shouldn't.

The only way IMO how HPFS386 could be related is your VAL. If you were able to increase it, you'd have more open/close cycles available. ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:21:03 pm by Boris »

dbanet

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 07:15:55 pm »
Andi,

You can also try decreasing PROCESSES and THREADS directives in your CONFIG.SYS, as they either eat a lot of memory in the system arena.

You should be able to increase VAL then.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 10:09:38 pm »
I've no processes in my config.sys which as mentioned here http://www.edm2.com/index.php/The_Config.sys_Documentation_Project/OS/2-eCS_Commands#PROCESSES should give the default of 256. OTOH Theseus says QSV_MAXPROCESSES = 1025.

Threads is currently set to 1024. More than 300 threads are running currently although the system does not have much to do now.

Will try with processes=256 and threads=512.

AOO / HPFS386 - I do not think they are related too. Only wanted to kick off HPFS386 to be sure before I create a ticket. But seems to be not that easy :(

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 03:24:17 am »
Hi Andi

Did you use SYSINSTX after swapping IFS's? - I have needed to use this when swapping IFS's in the past.

Regards

Pete

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 09:33:24 am »
Did you use SYSINSTX after swapping IFS's
I don't like to switch the FS of current installation which is JFS. But only want to REM out HPFS386 and after that enable HPFS. But the first part - reming out HPFS386 - leads to the problems booting my current main JFS boot partition.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 05:08:07 pm »
Have you removed/renamed the HPFS386 directory and the HPFS386.ini?

I still think that you will have to reformat the partition to go back to just HPFS.IFS from HPFS386.IFS.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 07:10:57 pm »

Whenever you have troubles with memory.
Seems impossible to me. How should I start Theseus when it did not even finish booting?

I still think that you will have to reformat the partition to go back to just HPFS.IFS from HPFS386.IFS.
I even made the only HPFS partition on this system invisible (removed drive letter) but the main system does not boot anymore from it's JFS boot partition when reming out the (for JFS boot) needless HPFS lines.

There must another entry in config.sys which must be deleted beside the mentioned above IFS and CACHEFS386 lines. Or there is a timing problem which ends up in out of memory cause JFS boot is faster without HPFSxxx IFS driver.