Author Topic: How to get ride of HPFS386  (Read 21441 times)

dbanet

Re: How to get ride of HPFS386
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 07:42:55 pm »
@Boris - Theseus during boot before it traps?

Whenever you have troubles with memory.
Seems impossible to me. How should I start Theseus when it did not even finish booting?

Err, I meant AOO4 memory troubles, when your system is operable, sorry for the confusion.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 01:32:57 pm »
Have you removed/renamed the HPFS386 directory and the HPFS386.ini?

I still think that you will have to reformat the partition to go back to just HPFS.IFS from HPFS386.IFS.

I believe that should only be necessary if you've added ACLs.

Minus the added HPFS386 on-disk features (ACLs and RAID-1), the filesystem structures are identical.  So if those features haven't been used, TTBOMK a reformat is not needed to revert to vanilla HPFS.  ISTR the IBM documentation alludes to this somewhere.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 02:06:35 pm »
Alex, it was just a thought.  Our servers are running HPFS386 and there is no way that I am going to mess with that to check if what Andi wants to do can be done.  Also it is 14 years since I did the testing and set up the servers so my memory is a little short.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 03:25:50 pm »
In the meantime I rebooted a lot. I still can not enable plain HPFS in config.sys without 'out of memory' followed by TRAP 000E even with no visible HPFS partition. All JFS. But I've lowered CACHE386 size to 2MB which I can live with.

Reducing THREADS=1024 to 512 offered me the possibility to increase VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT to 2048. 1536 was maximum before. I can even boot with VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT =2548 but the system does not work well anymore. Even opening 4os2 shells does only work sometimes. Otherwise - no memory left although plenty of shared and private memory available. Starting AOO would lead to Error 8 on loading vcl.dll. No clue which resource runs out. Have to play even more with Theseus maybe I find something.

In the meantime I'll stick with HPFS386 and test how VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=2048 works.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 05:31:05 pm »
Have you tried:
DLLBASING=OFF
near the top of your CONFIG.SYS? There is a slight performance hit (you might notice it if you are still using a 486SX), but it lets OS/2 make more efficient use of shared memory space.

dbanet

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 08:51:40 pm »
Have you tried:
DLLBASING=OFF
near the top of your CONFIG.SYS? There is a slight performance hit (you might notice it if you are still using a 486SX), but it lets OS/2 make more efficient use of shared memory space.

Doug,

My problem seems to be a timing one. Even disabling HPFS completely or hiding HPFS partitions (removing drive letter) does not help. I get various 'out of memory errors' during boot in different places followed by TRAP 000e or TRAP 000d depending on sorting of config.sys. And/or dllbasing on/off and reming out netwstat.200 (?) or some other network related statements.

so seems yes.

Andi, don't forget to also set PROCESSES because it also eats lots of memory in system arena, and because it doesn't seem you'd need to spawn 1024 processes. Then you should be able to increase VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT even more.

Although that won't help if you run out of low shared memory (which is always less than 512 MiB, no matter what you do), until you load the DLLs high.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 08:11:05 pm »
set PROCESSES...
From my tests I saw PROCESSES was always set to the value of THREADS+1. With current THREADS=512 Theseus says QSV_MAXPROCESSES = 513.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 08:31:09 pm »
set PROCESSES...
From my tests I saw PROCESSES was always set to the value of THREADS+1. With current THREADS=512 Theseus says QSV_MAXPROCESSES = 513.
I have:
THREADS = 512
PROCESSES = 256
and Theseus shows QSV_MAXPROCESSES = 256
here.