Author Topic: HTML to epub conversion  (Read 9356 times)

guzzi

• View Profile
HTML to epub conversion
« on: September 06, 2014, 08:52:12 pm »
I want to convert http://omacl.org/Heimskringla/index.html to epub for easy reading on my e-reader. Are there tools that can easily convert html to epub for OS/2? I have tried several online converters, the ones I found and tried do not recurse through the pages(. There seem to be some java tools, but what I have found are no ready 'end-user' products.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: HTML to epub conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:22:38 pm »
There doesn't seem to be anything simple. Can your e-reader read HTML?

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 09:37:26 pm »
Yes, but the index (library) will only show all html files, no menu structure. Not very convenient.  If I choose index.html it will display it, but links not clickable. Silly software.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 09:50:30 pm »
Should have used my brain. There is an epub version on project Gutenberg. For now, problem solved)

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 10:54:06 am »
Hi Guzzi,

I have an old version of Sigil (requires Qt4) that Paul ported a few years ago.  It doesn't have all the nice things of the latest version but does the basics of creating an epub. 

Sigil is no longer being developed and Calibre now has an epub editor that is supposed to do the same as Sigil.  Somewhere around version 0.6 or 0.7 it started to use the next version of Qt4 that we don't have so I gave up even thinking of trying to learn how to port it and now use the win version in a VM using a very cut down win XP.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 06:13:10 pm »
I looked at Calibre, it had quite a list of dependencies including QTpy which I don't believe we have a port of so didn't pursue it. There was also another Python solution that depended on Python3 and once again we don't have a port of it.

dbanet

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 08:55:52 pm »
I looked at Calibre, it had quite a list of dependencies including QTpy which I don't believe we have a port of so didn't pursue it. There was also another Python solution that depended on Python3 and once again we don't have a port of it.

Smedles once ported PyQt. AFAIK he didn't publish it; I was unable to make the copy he has given to me to work anyway.
It seems I've lost it, but if someone needs it, I'll try to find it back (or you may ask Paul directly).

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 02:15:55 am »
Dave, I think that Calibre would be 'nice' to have ported it is not really an epub editor, its main strength is in e-book file type conversion.  Sigil, on the other hand is a true epub editor and does that job exceedingly well, even the very old version that Paul ported - a newer version which has extra features would be the thing although I can't remember which version it was when it changed to using the next version of Qt4 above the one we have.