Author Topic: ObjectVision  (Read 9209 times)

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
ObjectVision
« on: September 27, 2014, 06:35:48 pm »
I don't suppose that Borland ObjectVision 2 for OS/2 is available for download anywhere?   I've just found some OV files on a floppy disk that I must written in the 1990s but I can't for the life of me remember what they relate to!

muffetta

Re: ObjectVision
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 07:01:48 pm »
Hi, Jean-Yves
It is not here?
http://vetusware.com/manufacturer/item/?author=1850
Regards
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 07:09:17 pm by Barbara »

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 11:21:46 pm »
Ah thanks :)

I'll give that a go.

I do remember that there was a native OS/2 version though. The windows version might work though.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 04:34:49 am »

I'll give that a go.

I do remember that there was a native OS/2 version though. The windows version might work though.

There was, Version 1.x was 16bit but there was a version 2 (and possibly v2.1) for 32 bit OS/2 v2, however it came out only shortly before Borland dropped the development of Object Vision altogether and it was slower than the 16 bit version. A late beta of OV was shipped on an early Devcon disk, possibly DC1.

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:47:06 am »

I'll give that a go.

There was, Version 1.x was 16bit but there was a version 2 (and possibly v2.1) for 32 bit OS/2 v2, however it came out only shortly before Borland dropped the development of Object Vision altogether and it was slower than the 16 bit version. A late beta of OV was shipped on an early Devcon disk, possibly DC1.

That sounds right - I was pretty sure we had a native version of v2 rather than running under Win-OS2. 

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 03:23:48 pm »
Hmmm. The zip extracts to .img files, which means I'd have to create floppies from those.  I think I have a USB floppy drive somewhere, but even if I do, I'm not sure whether VirtualBox will suport it.

I've been scouring the internet for the native OS/2 version (which has the benefit of allowing Rexx scripting in addition to the value/event tree logic) but aside from a few references to it in passing, no one seems to have it, not even old software shops or abandonware sites.

So, if anyone does come across a copy of the native OS/2 version, I'd be very grateful if they'd let me know.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 05:07:25 pm »
If you are using vbox I think it will read standard img files as if they were floppies.

Not knowing if you have a physical install of OS/2 or are using a VM, I can't be specific but will give a general overview.

If you have available an OS/2 or windows computer then go to http://dvalot.free.fr/emtcopy.htm and download the relevant version and install. this will do all that is necessary to extract disk images to either a physical floppy (usb or installed) or a virtual floppy.  For a virtual floppy on OS/2 see the attached vfdisk40.zip (I've attached it because hobbes is down at the moment). The readme gives instructions for use - I am not sure if this will work in a VM, I don't see why not if there is enough memory available but I have never tried it.

If you use a virtual floppy remember to copy the files to disk before you make the next one. 

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 05:54:35 pm »
Thanks Ivan.