Author Topic: 1.2R vs 2.1  (Read 7174 times)

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
1.2R vs 2.1
« on: October 09, 2014, 08:43:51 pm »
Hello,

Is there a list somewhere of all the changes since 1.2R up to 2.1?

I'm trying to decide whether the £90 asking price is worth it given that there may not be any further updates.

I must say I've really caught the eComStation bug again since installing it the other day!

Thanks

guzzi

• View Profile
Re: 1.2R vs 2.1
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 10:40:56 pm »
My personal opinion: I would not update right now. The important changes are in the drivers. ACPI, better USB support, better video driver. I expect many of those updates will become available through arcanoae and/or bww bitwise works. There are some other updates too, most available for free already (yum/rpm is one). Then there are some cosmetic updates, like sunny icons, file open container. I'd wait a bit and see if it would be more worthwhile to get the separate updates and 'modernise' 1.2 or buy an upgrade. It all depends on what the new companies will offer. I think it won't be long before arcanoae opens it's website. Once they have done so, it's time to decide)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 11:52:14 pm »
Choosing between 1.2R vs 2.1 is easy. Version 2.1 is better, it had more up to date drivers and works better.

But... I agreed with Guzzi, it is not a moment to buy right now. Let's hear the announcement at WarpStock. Menso needs to explain (I hope) what XEU is going to offer with eComStation. And I Also want to see what Arca Noae is going to offer for the platform.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Jean-Yves

• View Profile
    • shimeril.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:52:39 am »
Thank you guys, that's very helpful.

I'll hold off for now then - I just wanted to make sure I was not missing out on anything major. As I run eCS in a VM, drivers on the whole are not a problem - it's a pretty good experience