Author Topic: Hobbes version handling  (Read 13975 times)

Andy Willis

• View Profile
Hobbes version handling
« on: September 08, 2014, 10:12:55 pm »
I have seen some posts on this, so when I saw iniser had version 2.4 and 2.5 in the incoming I sent an email to the hobbes archiver address and this was the response:
If the file is replacing a file that is still in incoming, it will be deleted. You can only replace files that have already been handled.
Please re-upload the final version and I will push it through incoming.

So, if anyone uploads a file and then before the previous one is processed, wants to replace it with a newer one then either they need to wait till the first is processed, not mark to replace the previous version, or if possible rename the previous to add delete.me and not mark it to be replaced or it will be deleted as the 2.4 and 2.5 versions of iniser were.  I forwarded that exchange to Peter to make him aware the files were both deleted.

TeLLie

• View Profile
Re: Hobbes version handling
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 10:54:25 pm »
Hihi

I also upload some files to Hobbes, but it seems they disapeared also ??

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 12:19:43 am »
uhm.. "HTMLWizard_src_1-60.ZIP " is also gone. I'm uploading it again.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:29:51 am »
Hihi

I also upload some files to Hobbes, but it seems they disappeared also ??
Did you end up loading the same file with two version numbers with the second marked to replace the first?  If so then yes.
Otherwise, one thing that it could be is that the file system on hobbes is case sensitive.  If you had even a different case in the txt file from the way it was uploaded or if the case of the txt file differed from the uploaded file then it would also be deleted.

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 12:33:52 am »
uhm.. "HTMLWizard_src_1-60.ZIP " is also gone. I'm uploading it again.

Regards
As an example about the case sensitivity:
HTMLWizard_src_1-60.zip
HTMLWizard_src_1-60.txt
Archive Filename: HTMLWizard_src_1-60.ZIP

I believe even the ZIP vs zip will cause this to be deleted again.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 01:46:47 am »
Hihi

I also upload some files to Hobbes, but it seems they disappeared also ??
Did you end up loading the same file with two version numbers with the second marked to replace the first?  If so then yes.
Otherwise, one thing that it could be is that the file system on hobbes is case sensitive.  If you had even a different case in the txt file from the way it was uploaded or if the case of the txt file differed from the uploaded file then it would also be deleted.

It's a good idea just to stick with lower case.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 03:05:59 am »
Hi All

It used to be that hobbes required lowercase filenames but that was years ago.

Try searching for USBcfg on hobbes just to show that case is not an issue.

Having just tried the above search myself I see that the most recent release USBcfg082 (both .zip and .wpi versions) have gone missing - hobbes reports "No files found" when searching for USBcfg082.

I guess the hobbes administrator may have changed things again so that lowercase is now required but I doubt it. I suspect simple cockups by the current administrator to be more likely.

I have emailed the admin to ask what has happened to the USBcfg082 files and hope to get a reply.

In the meantime I guess I should re-upload the USBcfg082 files - and try to keep tabs on what happens to them.

Regards

Pete

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 03:12:40 am »
Hi All

It used to be that hobbes required lowercase filenames but that was years ago.

Try searching for USBcfg on hobbes just to show that case is not an issue.

Having just tried the above search myself I see that the most recent release USBcfg082 (both .zip and .wpi versions) have gone missing - hobbes reports "No files found" when searching for USBcfg082.

I guess the hobbes administrator may have changed things again so that lowercase is now required but I doubt it. I suspect simple cockups by the current administrator to be more likely.

I have emailed the admin to ask what has happened to the USBcfg082 files and hope to get a reply.

In the meantime I guess I should re-upload the USBcfg082 files - and try to keep tabs on what happens to them.

Regards

Pete
USBcfg082, Usbcfg082, or usbcfg082 would be fine but the case of the zip and txt have to match as well as the case in the filename field in the text.  It is being run on *nix based system where the filesystem is case sensitive and the scripts used to move everything therefore will see a Zip as different from ZIP or zip for instance.  As I understand it, the scripts will check to make sure there is a txt file to match the archive file... if not then it deletes.  Assuming that is fine, it processes the txt file and looks at the filename and processes according to the information found in it.  If the case doesn't match there then it won't find the archive file to process and then it would be deleted.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 03:59:55 am »
Hi Andy

Yes, the case of the txt and zip and wpi files were correct.

Please check hobbes incoming for USBcfg082 files and advise me of any cockups I may have made.

I do wonder if the USBcfg082 files got deleted as there is only the 1 txt file to cover both zip and wpi files... maybe *nix scripts just cannot handle such complexity  ;-)

I think something has been changed at hobbes with regard to searching for files. This url
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=USBcfg082
used to work fine but now returns "No files found".

Using the search on hobbes homepage I see the files are found - but the necessary url is now
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=USBcfg082&pushbutton=Search

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 05:42:28 am »
I'd think the script only expects the text file to cover one archive. Perhaps name the WPi as USBcfg082_wpi.wpi.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 02:26:23 am »
Hi Dave

Following yesterdays upload and an email to the hobbes admin USBcfg082.zip and USBcfg082.txt have now appeared in hobbes /pub/os2/system.

It looks like USBcfg082.wpi has been deleted.

I have emailed hobbes admin to ask whether it is necessary to upload a txt file for each archive. Hopefully hobbes admin will get back to me with a definitive answer.

@Dave re: "Perhaps name the WPi as USBcfg082_wpi.wpi. "
I'm not sure I understand...
How will renaming a *.wpi file to * _ wpi.wpi help?

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 05:02:05 am »
Hi Pete,
@Dave re: "Perhaps name the WPi as USBcfg082_wpi.wpi. "
I'm not sure I understand...
How will renaming a *.wpi file to * _ wpi.wpi help?

By also including a _wpi.txt you could upload both archives along with both txt files and not confuse the poor script which probably doesn't have the logic in it to process two files from one txt file.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 04:59:09 pm »
Hi Dave

Good thinking, that looks like it could get round any limitations in the hobbes script(s).

If the current .wpi disappears again I'll try that.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 05:01:18 pm »
It seems that few have found: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/uploadpolicy.html, which explains what, and how. It does seem to be a little out of date, because it does not list *.wpi as being an acceptable file extension, but *.wpi is acceptable (for some years now).

You need a *.txt file, for each upload, and the file names must be an exact match. You cannot list multiple upload files, although it seems that you can list multiple delete files (even using wild cards, although that needs to be done very carefully). I believe that they should be listed one to a line, and it is suggested that the full HOBBES path should be used. Copy and paste is strongly suggested.

Peter: The problem that you have is that USBcfg082.zip and USBcfg082.wpi each require the text file USBcfg082.txt, with different contents. By changing the name to USBcfg082_wpi.wpi, you can add USBcfg082_wpi.txt without conflicting with the USBcfg082.txt for the zip file. The contents of the txt files must match the upload name, exactly, except for the extension. It is very easy to miss something, because we are not used to case sensitive file names, so check it more than once.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 11:32:52 pm »
Hi Doug

It is a long time since I had a look at the hobbes upload guide so Thanks for providing the url for me to refresh my memory.

There is a section named Missing/incomplete/malformed textfile which states that an email would be sent in the case of rejection. Clearly that is not happening these days otherwise several of us would have known why our uploaded files were rejected/deleted.

Maybe a hobbes script has deleted itself...  ;-)

I'm currently waiting for hobbes admin to get back to me about what caused the files to be rejected and expect to be told that the .txt file containing 2 archive names, .zip and .wpi, was the cause.

I will suggest that as it has become fairly common for OS/2 software to be offered in both .zip and .wpi archives that the script(s) could be modified to allow both .zip and .wpi archive names in the same .txt file. I guess that will depend on how difficult it will be to modify existing script(s).

Regards

Pete