Author Topic: Motherboard woes  (Read 44363 times)

Andi B.

• View Profile
Re: Motherboard woes Asus H87-Pro
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 04:48:38 pm »
Update to the Asus H87-Pro I have -
the integrated Realtek NIC does not work well with the latest AN Mulitmac driver. Trying to transfer GByte big files via ftp does not even start here. A ping to the source system which runs in parallel shows delays up to 5s. No wonder the ftp transfers does not seem to do anything. UDP transfer rate is terrible bad too. No chance to get ICAT working with that driver/chip combination with this motherboard. Though the same driver with another mobo works quite well. Putting into a PCIe Intel GBit NIC driven by AN Multimac driver solves the ftp transfer problem. For getting decent UDP transfer rate I have to use another older PCI Intel NIC with native driver in parallel.

Just to inform if anyone is planning to use the same board too.

jdeb

Re: Motherboard woes
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 04:07:47 am »
Unfortunately I can't get SNAP to run on this Asus H87-Pro. I hoped it would run in GRADD mode but this Intel HD4600 does not.

Moreover even my plan B - insert a Matrox G550 - does not work. It hangs/stops at the same place where the CPU integrated HD4600 fails. PMSHELL does not come up. After the Scitech driver messages when the screen should switch to graphic mode nothing happens.

I tried all PCIe sockets and BIOS settings I found without success. Still can not believe why an extra PCIe graphic adapter does not work but have to give up after days of frustration :( Seems to be something special in this H87 chipset.

After years working with two 1920x1200 displays I can not switch back to single monitor mode anymore. Any suggestions for a Linux distro with usable desktop? No fancy transparency windows or rounded corners or washed out fonts. I hate these W7 annoyances with thick boarders which hide the useful information behind (the reason why they must be transparent but why did MS made them so think in the first place?) and switched back to classic (pre-XP) look and fell as much as possible. No big symbols and icons only but text description in menus. Simple clear and easy to use for a long time OS/2 user. Suggestions for desktop managers I should look for? Cinnamon?

Linux distro suggestion would be any distro that has xfce. openSUSE 13.2 works well.xfce is a knock off of cde which was a knock off of os/2... in appearance. When you go to install openSUSE it will ask you to select desktop environment ... Gnome, KDE, other. Select other then xfce. You will like it. clean, simple, fast.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 04:16:53 am by jdeb »

dbanet

Re: Motherboard woes Asus H87-Pro
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 11:59:12 pm »
Update to the Asus H87-Pro I have -
the integrated Realtek NIC does not work well with the latest AN Mulitmac driver. Trying to transfer GByte big files via ftp does not even start here. A ping to the source system which runs in parallel shows delays up to 5s. No wonder the ftp transfers does not seem to do anything. UDP transfer rate is terrible bad too. No chance to get ICAT working with that driver/chip combination with this motherboard. Though the same driver with another mobo works quite well. Putting into a PCIe Intel GBit NIC driven by AN Multimac driver solves the ftp transfer problem. For getting decent UDP transfer rate I have to use another older PCI Intel NIC with native driver in parallel.

Just to inform if anyone is planning to use the same board too.

If 1000 Mbit/s isn't important, just try falling back to 100 Mbit/s link. The troubles you are facing will most likely disappear.

Otherwise, please name the NIC model number exactly. There is a probability the UniMac driver coded by Pavel Shtemenko, which has the 1000 Mbit/s issues resolved, will fit your needs.