Author Topic: Gimp install problem  (Read 12144 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
Gimp install problem
« on: December 07, 2014, 12:19:29 am »
I'm trying to install gimp but it looks like it can't find the libs directory, its looking for fontcfg.dll. Manually giving it the required DLL's and then trying to execute gimp-2.2.exe gives: "a non-recoverable error occured the process ended"
I'm using Alex's WPI's from Hobbs and HOBLink is up and running. also tried it on a different machine with the same results.
Any ideas as to what I'm lacking?

Thanks  klipp

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Gimp install problem
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 03:02:07 am »
Perhaps you need LIBPATHSTRICT=T along with BEGINLIBPATH=path\to\libs

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 02:11:55 pm »
The launch script (x11env.cmd) should contain LIBPATHSTRICT=T already.

OTOH, do make sure your LIBPATH isn't growing too long with the additions from x11env.cmd. Does it still have a limit of 1024 characters in this day and age?

Also verify that x11env.cmd has the correct path to the XFree86 directory tree, and that nothing else is messing around with the value of the X11ROOT variable.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 05:50:56 pm »
X11R6.CMD didn't have the LIBPATHSTRICT=T line in it . Adding SET LIBPATHSTRICT=T as the first line in X11R6.CMD allowed it to find the D:\USR\X11R6\bin & lib directories - but trying to execute GIMP-2.2.exe still gives the same "a non-recoverable error" message.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 05:21:14 am »
So I decided to try running Gimp which has been installed here since it was ported.
First problem is HobX, while it runs fine on my OS/2 Ver 4 install, it comes up under eCS 2.1 complaining that it is an illegal install and then closes. Note that this is the version that Hob software gave away just before ending the OS/2 version of HobX and so is legal.
Next was to try and run it under X. Added the device=path\to\xf86sup.sys and rebooted and tried to set up X, something I haven't done in close to 10 years.
First tried with the VESA driver, no go so reverted to the VGA driver as it should work on damn near anything.
After some trial and error I got it to run far enough that it would crash in os2select before initializing the screen.
Went back to the VESA driver, applied what I learned getting the VGA driver to work, mostly fixing the mouse statement and tried running it.
Errorred out with no modes available. Looking at the log, all available modes are full of zeros. Weird as Panorama successfully uses the VESA stuff in the video bios.
Next was to try to run it on the Desktop using X. downloaded the DIVE driver and also the VNC server. The VNC server should be ideal, could actually rebuild X to use klibc instead of EMX and upgrade some software.
Managed to get it to come up in the PMVNC window, no proper background and twm working as Window Manager but no xterm window. Seems that an xterm can't get a valid PTTY under eCS and exits.
Has anyone managed to get X to run under eCS? Or even tried? Running on the desktop in a VNC window seems like a better solution then HobX and the way it pop open windows.
Also of course, I no longer have the HobX install that I installed, anyone know how to make it happy with eCS

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 11:45:10 am »
X11R6.CMD didn't have the LIBPATHSTRICT=T line in it . Adding SET LIBPATHSTRICT=T as the first line in X11R6.CMD allowed it to find the D:\USR\X11R6\bin & lib directories - but trying to execute GIMP-2.2.exe still gives the same "a non-recoverable error" message.

The launch script is x11env.cmd, not x11r6.cmd, and it definitely has the LIBPATHSTRICT statement in it.  Are you looking at the right file?  Are you using the right WPIs (i.e. mine, and not the older ones provided by HOB)?

Another thing you could try is change HOBlink's window mode to single-window instead of multi-window. I had one system where that was necessary to make it happy for some reason.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 11:50:16 am »
So I decided to try running Gimp which has been installed here since it was ported.
First problem is HobX, while it runs fine on my OS/2 Ver 4 install, it comes up under eCS 2.1 complaining that it is an illegal install and then closes. Note that this is the version that Hob software gave away just before ending the OS/2 version of HobX and so is legal.

The HOBlink that came with eCS 1.x looks for an ECSINST.INI that was generated with an eCS 1.x licence key. It doesn't recognize the eCS 2.x format one. There's a way you can copy over an INI file that makes it happy but I don't recall the exact details.

However, the non-OEM version of HOBlink from Hobbes shouldn't care about the eCS licence. You're sure you installed from that version and not the eCS one?

(I have a bought and registered copy of HOB so I just use that; I have no problems with it on eCS 2.anything.)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 05:01:03 pm »
Hi Alex, The X11R6.CMD I quoted was a typo (it is X11env.cmd but also it does need to have the LIBPATHSTRICT=T added, as it is missing) , Sorry! I am using you're WPI's but they are on Hobbes.  Some confusion here, as trying to download from you're site said that to save space the WPI's have been copied to Hobbes.  Are these NOT the correct ones, if not where do we find the correct ones?

klipp

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 07:36:49 am »
Hi Alex. I never owned a eCS 1.x license and I'm pretty sure that at one point Hob software offered hobx11 for free (probably just before dropping it) and I downloaded it from their site. It's always worked fine on Warp V4 where I installed it and looking at \hobx11\ini.ini in a text editor I see my name, company name and a serial number. Seems previously I did try the evaluation version but as X worked fine at the time I didn't pursue it.  It's over a decade ago so I might be mis-remembering.

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 10:38:18 am »
Hi Alex. I never owned a eCS 1.x license and I'm pretty sure that at one point Hob software offered hobx11 for free (probably just before dropping it) and I downloaded it from their site. It's always worked fine on Warp V4 where I installed it and looking at \hobx11\ini.ini in a text editor I see my name, company name and a serial number. Seems previously I did try the evaluation version but as X worked fine at the time I didn't pursue it.  It's over a decade ago so I might be mis-remembering.

Maybe this

http://www.os2voice.org/vnl/past_issues/VNL1103H/vnewsf4.htm

could be of some help. I didn't install HOB since my first eCS 1.0 days, so I can't confirm it will work. That said, I'm interested in getting GIMP on OS/2, waiting for Paul to bring up his PM version ;)

EDIT

http://mail.2rosenthals.com:8100/Lists/gnuports/Message/309.html?Language=french

this is useful.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:01:16 pm by Mentore »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 04:46:51 am »
I managed to get gimp-1.2.2 up in a vnc window using the vncxserver but fonts aren't displayed with these error messages,
Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 634 (gdk_text_extents_wc): assertion `(xfont->min_byte1 == 0) && (xfont->max_byte1 == 0)' failed.

Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 634 (gdk_text_extents_wc): assertion `(xfont->min_byte1 == 0) && (xfont->max_byte1 == 0)' failed.

Seems I had this problem long ago but don't remember how to fix.
As for XFree86, seems that xf86sup.sys is broken on newer systems. Can't create a ptty even on Warp v4 without ACPI and with the 104a w kernel. The latest I could find (on Netlabs) claims to have the FP#17 problems fixed but there must be something still not right. Unluckily I don't have the skills or hardware to fix.