Author Topic: A cups 2.0 "How To": Installing and configuring cups 2.0 and supporting software  (Read 65639 times)

Pete

• View Profile
Hi ivan

Sorry, hope a HP user jumps in here because I have no idea...

Just for fun I had a quick look here http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/color_laserjet/hp_color_laserjet_3500.html

I suspect you need hplip.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Am I correct in assuming I need the hplip backend because this is an HP printer?

AFAIK, all modern HP printers need HPLIP for CUPS. The question is, which one? I have hplip-3.14.3-os2-20140427.zip and hplip-3_12_10a.wpi. The first is newer, but it installs in a completely different way than the second, older, version. If you have both of them, both will show as an option. The second one works with CUPS 1.4.8.

I have been through the CUPS 2.0.0 setup about 3 times now (using each version of HPLIP), and I cannot get CUPS to print to either my HP D110a (WiFi connected), or my HP C4180 (USB connected).

I think that I have all of the parts mentioned by Pete, plus HPLIP. installed. I did remove all traces of CUPS, HPLIP, and Ghostscript, before re-installing. That made no difference.  I also tried psprint-30_905.zip, which seems to partly break CUPS 1.4.8 (could be the old Lotus SmartSuite bug, which I haven't seen for years), but it made no difference with CUPS 2.0.0.

At the moment, I need to remove it all, again, and start over. Then, I need to extract a usable log file.

I will note here, that I do not even attempt to get scanning working with these printers. The D110a (WiFi connected) has a built in web page, where you can scan, and then simply download the "picture" using the browser. This is far easier, and far more effective, than messing around with HPAIO, and TAME. I think that all recent, network connected, HP printers have that feature.

Andi B.

• View Profile
AFAIK, all modern HP printers need HPLIP for CUPS
SOHO devices like the HP Officejet Pro X476dw still support PCL5c, PCL6, PDF and Postscript Level 3 emulation. Sounds like they should work with standard psdriver and laserjet drivers. Someone tested such device?

guzzi

• View Profile

c] Optional supporting packages
-------------------------------

Release build: http://smedley.id.au/tmp/tmp%5Ccups-bjnp-1.2.2-os2-20140526.zip
Beta Build: http://smedley.id.au/tmp/tmp%5Ccups-bjnp-1.9.2-os2-20140526.zip

!Configuration tip!

Edit the PSTOPDF Filter to avoid unnecessary error messages in the cups error log file

Open the file \cups\lib\cups\filter\pstopdf and change the line

-dPDFSETTINGS=/printer -dUseCIEColor \
to
                -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer \

The links to these Canon packages are dead.

Shouldn't these lines in cups\lib\cups\filter\pstopdf be modified to point to GS9.15?:

PS2PS=/gs/gs8.71/lib/ps2ps
GS=/gs/gs8.71/bin/gsos2.exe

Although my Canon MP540 works with cups 1.4.8 without the cups-bjnp-1.2.2-os2-20140526.zip package which I can't find  it won't work with 2.0
Getting this error: "Waiting for printer to become available."

I have set the error log to debug level and attached the log. Maybe someone van see what is going wrong.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Then, I need to extract a usable log file.

Okay, two log files (I have no idea if they are usable, they don't tell me anything, or I missed it).

CUPS_HP_C4180.zip contains logs when trying to print to my HP C4180 USB connected printer. That just sits there doing nothing.

CUPS_HP_D110a.zip contains logs when trying to print to my HP D110a WiFi connected printer. That stops with a complaint that the file is not a PDF file.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Although my Canon MP540 works with cups 1.4.8 without the cups-bjnp-1.2.2-os2-20140526.zip package which I can't find  it won't work with 2.0

Which backend? IIRC there are some issues with some of the backends in newer CUPS that I haven't been able to root cause. try copying over the corresponding backend executable (ie socket.exe for socket printing) to the new install

guzzi

• View Profile

Which backend? IIRC there are some issues with some of the backends in newer CUPS that I haven't been able to root cause. try copying over the corresponding backend executable (ie socket.exe for socket printing) to the new install

Thanks Paul,

USB.exe. Changed it for the version from cups 1.4.8, the error went away. Printing stops after about 33%. In the logs I see:
 D [25/Jan/2015:15:39:20 -0100] [Job 6] PID 211 (/cups/lib/cups/filter/gstoraster.exe) exited with no errors.
D [25/Jan/2015:15:39:20 -0100] [Job 6] PID 212 (/cups/lib/cups/filter/rastertogutenprint.5.2.exe) exited with no errors.
D [25/Jan/2015:15:39:20 -0100] Discarding unused job-state-changed event...
E [25/Jan/2015:15:39:20 -0100] [Job 6] Job stopped due to filter errors; please consult the error_log file for details.

And a little bit further in the log:
D [25/Jan/2015:15:39:23 -0100] [Client 49] HTTP_STATE_WAITING Closing for error
32 (Broken pipe)

David McKenna

• View Profile
 guzzi,

The attached usb.exe from CUPS 1.6.2 is the newest one that works here - might be worth a try. I hope Paul doesn't mind me posting it....

I see the HTTP_STATE_WAITING error in my logs even when printing works. Probably harmless... maybe related to the 'Internal Server Error' issue?

David McKenna

• View Profile

Okay, two log files (I have no idea if they are usable, they don't tell me anything, or I missed it).

CUPS_HP_C4180.zip contains logs when trying to print to my HP C4180 USB connected printer. That just sits there doing nothing.

CUPS_HP_D110a.zip contains logs when trying to print to my HP D110a WiFi connected printer. That stops with a complaint that the file is not a PDF file.

I have found that using the SED.exe from the Netlabs RPM gives the 'not a PDF' error when printing to a socket:// connection. The one that comes with eCS 2.1 and 2.2 works fine. Which SED are you using?

Try the USB.EXE I just posted. The one with CUPS 2.0 does the same thing here - nothing happens (although I get a message 'waiting for printer to become available' - or something like that).

guzzi

• View Profile
guzzi,

The attached usb.exe from CUPS 1.6.2 is the newest one that works here - might be worth a try. I hope Paul doesn't mind me posting it....

I see the HTTP_STATE_WAITING error in my logs even when printing works. Probably harmless... maybe related to the 'Internal Server Error' issue?

With that backend the test page prints. Still no luck printing from applications.

guzzi

• View Profile

I have found that using the SED.exe from the Netlabs RPM gives the 'not a PDF' error when printing to a socket:// connection. The one that comes with eCS 2.1 and 2.2 works fine. Which SED are you using?

Try the USB.EXE I just posted. The one with CUPS 2.0 does the same thing here - nothing happens (although I get a message 'waiting for printer to become available' - or something like that).

Not a PDF is the error I see when printing from AOO, from MR/2 I get 'filter error'. The SED.exe I use is the one that came with eCS 2.2

David McKenna

• View Profile
guzzi,

What printer driver are you using? Make sure you copy the CUPS 2.0 lpr.exe to C:\TCPIP\BIN\cupslpr.exe and add C:\cups\lib to your LIBPATH if you are using the cups.lpr output port.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:19:05 pm by David McKenna »

guzzi

• View Profile
guzzi,

What printer driver and what output port are you using?
[/quote

PSPRINT,  cups localhost:mp540

David McKenna

• View Profile
guzzi,

Not sure if it makes any difference, but instead of 'localhost' I always use '127.0.0.1' in my output port settings. Might be worth a try...

Doug Bissett

• View Profile

That is a good question. I am testing CUPS 2.0.0 on the same machine where I am testing the new Package Manager that Arca Noae is working on (that seems to be working well, when YUM cooperates - about 80% of the time). That means that I need RPM/YUM installed. The way that works, probably means that I am using whatever they install (the user has little control over that mess). Putting the programs in the \cups\bin directory probably doesn't override that, but I can't tell. I will see if I can sort it out. I note that sed.exe in \ecs\bin is older.

Okay, I replaced the sed.exe that YUM supplied, with the one from eCS 2.2 b2, and tried a test page. Now, it says "Filter failed". Hmmm. SOMETIMES it says that. More often. it just sits there doing nothing.

I have seen the waiting thing, a few times, while messing around with this, but that doesn't seem to be what is happening now.
I replaced usb.exe with an older one (I am not sure what version it is, since it doesn't have information for BLDLEVEL). It still sits there, doing nothing.

I will tack down what you posted, but I am not optimistic.

UPDATE: No, it made no difference.

It looks like both HP printers are suffering from the same problem (whatever that is). Changing sed.exe seems to have got past the "not a PDF file" problem, on the D110a (uses sockets backend), but neither one seems to get to the point where they should print.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:57:08 pm by Doug Bissett »