Author Topic: Keyboard, codepage and headache  (Read 5573 times)

guzzi

• View Profile
Keyboard, codepage and headache
« on: February 07, 2015, 01:25:43 am »
I have bought a new keyboard. Unlike the old one, which had a US international layout, this one has a Dutch layout.

With the setting I have now I can get it to work properly.
My current setup is:
CODEPAGE=866,850
COUNTRY=007,C:\OS2\SYSTEM\COUNTRY.SYS
DEVINFO=KBD,nl,C:\OS2\KEYBOARD.DCP
SET LANG=nl_NL_EURO

I use this to be able to use Russian in both vio and pm.

The problem I have is that I can set 850 as primary codepage. In vio sessions that's not a big deal, a chcp 850 takes care of that. In PM sessions, even when I set the codepage to 850 in the properties language tab, it still seems to use 866 because the keyboard will not produce euro sign or accents. If I start e.exe with a .cmd file with the lines:
chcp 850
e.exe
It all works as it should. I am puzzled by this. Why doesn't the properties setting do the same?
What I would like best is to have 850 as the primary codepage, but that would probably mean an overhaul of keyboard.dcp. Is it possible to do a system wide chcp somehow before the pm comes up? 

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Keyboard, codepage and headache
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 03:31:15 am »
I have never tried it, but RUN! has some support for code pages. Other features may be handy too.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 06:03:39 am »
The allowable primary/secondary system codepages are determined by the COUNTRY setting.  If just tested with COUNTRY=001 and I was able to use SET CODEPAGE=850,866 without any trouble. 

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 05:11:56 pm »
The allowable primary/secondary system codepages are determined by the COUNTRY setting.  If just tested with COUNTRY=001 and I was able to use SET CODEPAGE=850,866 without any trouble.

Yes, that combination works) Thanks. "Help country" doesn't give all possible combinations, it seems. I still can't set the secondary codepage in an easy way for many pm sessions. CPPAL works for e.exe, not for Firefox, AOO, etc. I find it a bit strange that the OS doesn't provide a way for easy switching of codepages in PM sessions. Using RUN!, although it does set the codepage correvtly,  isn't the solution because I'd have to use a separate session of a program to use a different codepage.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:26:04 pm by guzzi »