Author Topic: VOTE - for the top 3 OS/2 motheboards !  (Read 22117 times)

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
VOTE - for the top 3 OS/2 motheboards !
« on: February 14, 2015, 09:32:26 pm »
VOTE - for the top 3 OS/2 motheboards !

Webpage - http://os2notes.net/os2motherboards.html

1) Must still being produce (check new egg, it will show out of stock if discontinued).
2) Comment on the motherboards sound & lan results
3) Video card used.

Live Voting - https://www.polleverywhere.com/greggoryshaw195 (if submit button doesn't work, use 'enter' key).

Live Results - https://www.polleverywhere.com/free_text_polls/P2Kvzr8BYo4ZgZu?preview=true

Greggory
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 09:37:10 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: VOTE - for the top 3 OS/2 motheboards !
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:20:31 pm »
Hi Gregg.

I was just checking today and the links are not working. Is the poll over? Are there any results?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 02:23:34 pm »
I had the same result.  :o
BigGoofyGuy

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 03:40:40 pm »
I had the same result.  :o

Working now !

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 12:07:19 am »
Ok, well at least I got one vote !  So moving I'm on to 'Video Cards' for OS/2 !

But one more try for motherboards.  VOTE - for the top 3 OS/2 motheboards !

Webpage - http://os2notes.net/os2motherboards.html

1) Must still being produce (check new egg, it will show out of stock if discontinued).
2) Comment on the motherboards sound & lan results
3) Video card used or onboard graphics.

Live Voting - https://www.polleverywhere.com/greggoryshaw195 (if submit button doesn't work, use 'enter' key).

Live Results - https://www.polleverywhere.com/free_text_polls/P2Kvzr8BYo4ZgZu?preview=true

Greggory
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:12:47 am by Greggory Shaw »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 02:27:18 am »
Ok, well at least I got one vote !  So moving I'm on to 'Video Cards' for OS/2 !

I am not sure what you think you are going to learn from this exercise. Motherboards are obsolete after about 3 months, and few users jump into buying one when they first appear. By the time somebody buys one, and gets it working (or gives up), it is probably no longer available, therefore eliminated by the first "rule". Trying to comment earlier is likely to be wrong, one way or the other. Since most motherboards include video, lan, and sound, asking about individual parts is not useful. If you change rule 1 to read "No more than 2 years old", you might get more useful information, but those who want to make use of that information will end up looking for clearance sales (which is not all bad).

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 07:06:16 pm »

I am not sure what you think you are going to learn from this exercise. Motherboards are obsolete after about 3 month

3 months ??? - the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 has a five year warranty and military grade components.

Dude go back to the qpdfview thread and piss them off some more, especially if you dont have any good info to post on motherboards.

At least I'm trying for the community instead of disrupting it most of the time. Don't like the choices (like you read them), then do some research on some better motherboards and post it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:12:42 pm by Greggory Shaw »

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 07:57:36 pm »
I would suggest to look for mobo with on board com port or at least with  PCI slot to be able plug a PCI-to-COM.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 11:04:44 pm »
3 months ??? - the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 has a five year warranty and military grade components.

The warranty may last 5 years. The manufacturing cycle is closer to 3 months. That is true of all manufacturers. "Military grade components" is a sales feature. All it means is that they were able to convince the US military to accept what they sell. I will grant that the military does do a bit of testing to be sure that the board will take a bit of rough handling, but all it really does, is increase the price.

Dude go back to the qpdfview thread and piss them off some more, especially if you dont have any good info to post on motherboards.

I am not out to piss off anybody. I am trying to help OS/2 users get good software, good support, and good hardware. Right now, we are subject to some poor software. I cannot sit back, and accept that.

then do some research on some better motherboards and post it.

Recently, I have been doing some casual research on motherboards. It is approaching time to replace my motherboard, although I am not sure why I would. The current Asus M3A78-EM, with quad core Phenom processor, and 5 GB of memory, is still more than what I need. It is, of course, well past "still being produced", your first requirement, which I encourage you to change, because it eliminates almost every possibility, or the board has not been used enough to even begin to comment on how good it is. My newest system is a Lenovo ThinkPad L530, which is a UEFI based machine. It was close to a year before i was able to say that it works great (except for sound, which needs an updated driver, that nobody seems to be working on, and the other "usual" devices that are not yet supported). The key to making it work properly was the QSINIT package, which did not exist at the time that I got the machine. Of course, the L530 was well past "still being produced" too, even when I first got it.

Currently, I am looking at an Asus A88XM-A motherboard, but I can't say that it will, or won't, work, because I don't have it, yet. Since I am in no rush, I probably won't get one of them, simply because they won't be available for much longer (except on the clearance shelves).

I will comment on buying motherboards, for eCS. The best way to do it, is to watch for reports from somebody that they got one working, then look for used hardware, or left over stock. The cost will be less, and warranty will probably be gone, or limited, but you know that the hardware is known to work. You can also check the internet to see if there are any known problems with the hardware (bad capacitors, for example). The second best way, is to buy from one of the eCS resellers, and get a machine that they will support. If you just go and buy a motherboard (any brand, any model) from your local computer store, there is a pretty good chance that the main board will work fine. You may have some problems with some of the peripherals (sound, video, lan), depending on what they are (and, there is no guarantee that a manufacturer won't change something during a manufacturing run). I have always found that a motherboard can be made to work, but it can take a lot of time, and effort, to get past some stupid problems. Today, the biggest problems happen when you try to install eCS along side windows, on a disk that is larger than 500 GB, but even that can be done with a bit of knowledge, DFSEE, and a lot of experimenting.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 11:33:46 pm »

The warranty may last 5 years. The manufacturing cycle is closer to 3 months. That is true of all manufacturers. "Military grade components" is a sales feature. All it means is that they were able to convince the US military to accept what they sell. I will grant that the military does do a bit of testing to be sure that the board will take a bit of rough handling, but all it really does, is increase the price.

I don't know if it still holds true, but in the days that I dabbled with electronics mil spec components had a wider range of temperature in which they could be used, were more shock resistant, had a longer life expectancy and several other features like that. The data sheets showed the differences, so they were real.

I am not out to piss off anybody. I am trying to help OS/2 users get good software, good support, and good hardware. Right now, we are subject to some poor software. I cannot sit back, and accept that.

And that is your right. The way you sometimes phrase things might be considered  a tad abrasive. More careful wording could actually get you better results. I am well aware you do quite a bit for the community, especially with helping people to get their wireless nics working. That's certainly appreciated.

My newest system is a Lenovo ThinkPad L530, which is a UEFI based machine. It was close to a year before i was able to say that it works great (except for sound, which needs an updated driver, that nobody seems to be working on, and the other "usual" devices that are not yet supported).

From the Arca Noae website:
Medium Term Projects (Less than 1 Year)
These are projects which are expected to at least develop into test versions in one year or less.
Updates to the UNIAUD audio driver

I will comment on buying motherboards, for eCS. The best way to do it, is to watch for reports from somebody that they got one working, then look for used hardware, or left over stock.

I agree. An other way, for desktops,  is to buy something Intel based with some spare pci (e) slots just in case. Sound cards and nics are cheap, video cards that work with Panorama or Snap not hard to find.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 11:38:19 pm »

Currently, I am looking at an Asus A88XM-A motherboard, but I can't say that it will, or won't, work, because I don't have it, yet. Since I am in no rush, I probably won't get one of them, simply because they won't be available for much longer (except on the clearance shelves).

Well, there you go (ur question why am I do this)- the ASUS A88XM-A had 40-45% bad reviews before I drop it from consideration.

Where as the ASUS A88X-PRO FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X has much better reviews so far. Instead of your first post (no info) start by comparing my choice with your choice next time :)

And the A88XM-A is $54 - the $49 fully supported ASRock 775I65G R3.0 (onboard vid, lan and sound) is much better if it's an OS/2 only system or even up to Win 7 (yes, u still need Win sometimes).  Also the onboard graphics is one of the few THAT is fully accelerated by SNAP and can use  the rest of the features of SNAP too.

And yes guzzi I know Doug does alot too (but as you said :) ) - guzzi ur post I never read them, because the whole thing is qouted ? It's very hard since you quote everything and it's usually long.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:35:38 am by Greggory Shaw »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 03:53:08 pm »
Well, there you go (ur question why am I do this)

I didn't say that. I asked what you think you will learn by restricting the responses to "Must still being produce". I fully expect that the Asus A88XM-A is already out of production.

Well, there you go (ur question why am I do this)- the ASUS A88XM-A had 40-45% bad reviews before I drop it from consideration.

That is not a good thing to do. First, it makes it look like the only board(s) considered, at all, was your choice. Second, what were the reported problems? In many cases, motherboards simply need a non default setting to overcome problems. If the user doesn't know about that, they will report "bad", when it should be "good". Some discussion about what is found would be more helpful than just a yes or no, especially when others have no idea about what was considered.

I gotta go. More later.

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 04:58:01 pm »

And yes guzzi I know Doug does alot too (but as you said :) ) - guzzi ur post I never read them, because the whole thing is qouted ? It's very hard since you quote everything and it's usually long.

That's because I can't figure out how to use this editor. It quotes the whole message. I can of course delete parts of it  but I see no way to insert lines between the quoted text without them looking like quoted text as well. I much prefer simple old fashioned email style like this:
>>this is quoted text from an earlier quoted text
>this is quoted text
this is newly added text.

Still prefer mailing lists to fora)

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 06:40:52 pm »
It is very simple.  Just highlight the first section you want to quote and copy it, click on the 'insert quote' icon and past what you copied between the bracket quote bracket and the bracket /quote bracket, add your comments, repeat as necessary.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 01:41:00 pm »
I was trying to wait until the article, but great results so far for the $49 fully supported ASRock 775I65G R3.0 (onboard vid, lan and sound all work with eCs 2.1 & 2.2 ) including Win 7 and OpenSuse 13.2 installs only no testing yet.

http://os2notes.net/os2machine.html

Important Note - only tested CPU with FSB 800/533 MHz, if using a CPU with a FSB 1066 MHz you MUST use a 1.5v AGP external graphics & DDR400 memory with CL= 2.5 otherwise it will boot once and fail the next time after powered off. http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/voltageslots.jpg

$49 ASRock 775I65G R3.0, $25 memory, $6 Pentium D 3.4
========

ecs 2.1 on a SSD
========
easy install started : 4:56:00 am

1st phase: 4:03
2nd phase: 5:53

easy install ended: 5:10:16 am
===================

Total install time: 15:12

ecs 2.1 on a SSD
=======
install adv install: 6:28:00 pm

1st phase: 4:19
2nd phase: 6:11

End of adv install: 6:46:16 pm
====================

Total install time: 18:16

Boot time: 20 seconds

ecs 2.2 on a SSD
=======
install easy install: 7:36:00 pm

1st phase: 3:52
2nd phase: 6:06

End of easy install: 7:50:52 pm
====================

Total install time: 14:52

Boot time: 18 seconds

ecs 2.2 on a SSD
=======
install adv install: 8:31:00 pm

1st phase: 3:46
2nd phase: ??? - missed it, LOL

End of easy install: 8:47:23 pm
====================

Total install time: 16:23

Boot time: 18 seconds

NOTE: mouse is broken with the easy install or adv install when acpi is selected (maybe), bug in eCS 2.1.  Not sure exactly when it occurs, does anyone know ?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:25:16 am by Greggory Shaw »