Author Topic: I might have messed up  (Read 4890 times)

mopar_guy

I might have messed up
« on: April 26, 2015, 01:26:04 am »
I think that I should start at the beginning...

Flash back to 1992...

I walked into the computer store, there were a few new IBM PCs on display.  I was not the typical customer for business machines.  These things were expensive.  I was young and wore jeans and a tee shirt. 

One of the salesmen gave me a skeptical look, but he walked over to me and said, "May I help you."

"I want to buy OS/2."

A look of befuddlement and a short pause.  "What..."

"That."  I replied and pointed to a nearby shelf where some white boxes were amongst some other software.  "It's an operating system."

A look of disappointment came over the salesman's face.  No big hardware sale today.  The salesman gamely continued, "I don't know a lot about that, but it won't run on a lot of computers..."

"I know.  It will be fine."  I said with a note of finality in my voice.

Money changed hands and I walked out of the store with a brand new copy of genuine IBM OS/2 2.0.

Flash forward to 2015...

I was going through some boxes of old things when I came across a familiar looking package.  "No, it couldn't be." I muttered to myself.  But there it was, the old white box.  The cover was labeled 'OS/2 2.0'  in grey letters and the blue IBM logo was in the lower corner.  A blue banner with white lettering gave the description... "OS/2 2.0 Upgrade.  This upgrade requires a hard disk with a previous version of DOS or OS/2 already installed."  Best of all was the OS/2 logo, a black background with colored lettering that is now so familiar.

I took the box into the living room and sat down on the sofa.  Every thing had a slight musty smell.  I opened the box.  All of the manuals were still there.  So was the box containing all of the 3.5 inch floppy disks.  In the corner was another surprise.  A little flap was labelled "OPEN".  I pulled the flap back and pulled out a roll of paper that still had a bunch of OS/2 stickers on it.  I went through the manuals and then I found the problem.

That's my registration card.  I didn't send it in.  "Registration Number:   00062067".  I never filled it out.  I never sent it in.  I wonder if the address in Boca Raton is still good.  Maybe it is not to late to send it in...

Pete

• View Profile
Re: I might have messed up
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 01:58:18 am »
Hi David

I suspect that if the address is still good you will get your Registration back stamped with "Return to Sender: Unknown Addressee"    ;-)

Regards

Pete