Author Topic: Under $90 upgrade for OS/2 review !  (Read 11485 times)

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
Under $90 upgrade for OS/2 review !
« on: April 30, 2015, 12:51:11 am »
The benefits of spilling a can of coke on your old computer !

http://os2notes.net/os2machine.html

All components can still be found new (except CPU).

It's up and running great, the $49 ASRock 775I65G R3.0 motherboard completely support OS/2 out of the box (video, lan, audio) ! The onboard video is supported by SNAP and one of the few integrated graphics accelerated by SNAP too.

I'm going to test it with eCS 2.1 (Warp 4 ?), Win 7 and OpenSuse 13.2 using three different video cards, and maybe Lan & Audio too. Is there anyway to test the LAN transfer test & benchmark test ?

Anything that you would like to see be covered, tips or ideas ?

Greggory
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:55:44 am by Greggory Shaw »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Under $90 upgrade for OS/2 review !
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 01:41:11 am »
Is there anyway to test the LAN transfer test & benchmark test ?
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/network/netio126.zip Will test the LAN, includes binaries for OS/2, Windows and Linux. Will also test both TCP and UDP.
For benchmarking CPU, FPU, Graphics, Memory and Disks there is http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/benchmark/sysb095c.zip, only for OS/2.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:43:04 am by Dave Yeo »

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 02:52:01 am »
Is there anyway to test the LAN transfer test & benchmark test ?
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/network/netio126.zip Will test the LAN, includes binaries for OS/2, Windows and Linux. Will also test both TCP and UDP.
For benchmarking CPU, FPU, Graphics, Memory and Disks there is http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/benchmark/sysb095c.zip, only for OS/2.

Thank you Dave using both !

Question for everyone - with the ATI 9800XT, I get back Dos/Win sessions, with my X850 PE is a no go.  So, is there any X series cards that support Dos/Win sessions ?

Greggory

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 11:40:37 am »
So, is there any X series cards that support Dos/Win sessions ?
My X300 does. But seems to depend on different things I do not know as others have problems with DOS/WinOS2 even with the X300. There are numerous threads about and AFAIR some suggestions in the ecomstation bugtracker.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 03:20:01 pm »
Question for everyone - with the ATI 9800XT, I get back Dos/Win sessions, with my X850 PE is a no go.  So, is there any X series cards that support Dos/Win sessions ?
Greggory

I have X850,   Dos/Win sessions work full screen only. If i try to run it in a window - a trap happened.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 06:40:44 am »
Greggory

I have X850,   Dos/Win sessions work full screen only. If i try to run it in a window - a trap happened.

Thx Dave, Andi & OS4user !  I'm about to finish up my article for VOICE.

One more question - Does anyone have a X800 or X700 ?  And does anyone have experience with ATI 9800xt V. X800-700.

Snap, Warpoverlay & Win/Dos sessions ? So glad SNAP is being worked on again !!!

Greggory

guzzi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 01:34:03 am »
Yes, it's a good thing Arca Noae has licenced SNAP)

Lewis Rosenthal

• View Profile
    • Tales from the Trenches of IT
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 07:32:28 am »
Yes, it's a good thing Arca Noae has licenced SNAP)

:)

We're pretty excited.

If someone were to start a "SNAP wishlist" thread, it might be a good thing. Intel HD is our first consideration for new chip support, but if there are others with specs available, we'd like to know what people want to be able to use.

As for traps and such, we'll soon be accepting bug reports from registered Arca Noae customers. No promises, of course, particularly for more obscure issues/hardware, but we're listening and will keep everyone posted. Hopefully, these enhancements (and support) will make it worthwhile for users to invest in an Arca Noae-branded SNAP release.

(Sorry to hijack this thread!)
Lewis
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS
Managing Member
Arca Noae, LLC                               www.arcanoae.com

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 08:19:52 am »
(Sorry to hijack this thread!)

Perhaps Martin can fork this comment of to a new thread. Doesn't seem to be a way to do it as a regular user

rbri

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 08:22:14 am »
Does anyone have a X800 or X700 ?  And does anyone have experience with ATI 9800xt V. X800-700.
Yes i do; i'm using a Gigabyte Radeon X800 XL since ages now. This is a passive cooled card and works well with SNAP (screen res: 1920x1200).
The only drawbacks:
  • in rare cases there seems to be a initialization problem during boot (sometimes the sceen is black and sometimes i got flicker). Then i have to reboot.
  • i can use only one cpu because the desktop freezes (but this is a known snap problem and i really hope this will go away with the next SNAP version / THANKS Arca Noae)

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 03:20:49 am »
Hi RBRI

Instead of rebooting when the screen comes up black/with flicker/compressed size simply turn off the monitor and then turn back on - works every time here.

I've been using dualcore/quadcore cpus with SNAP since 2004, or thereabouts, and have rarely had a Desktop freeze problem - guess I could just be lucky so far  :-)

However, it is definitely good news that SNAP will be getting updated as it will get more difficult over time to purchase good condition ATI X series cards supported by the current SNAP - and, of course, bug fixes are always welcome  :-)

Regards

Pete