Author Topic: USB Mouse/Keyboard  (Read 10876 times)

djcaetano

USB Mouse/Keyboard
« on: May 05, 2015, 03:02:40 am »

Hi there!

I am running eCS 2.1 here and always used PS/2 mouse and keyboard. However, since I use two computers in the same workbench, I bought a KVM switch so I could share mouse and keyboard on both systems.
  Since the newer hardware (running Windows 7) only support USB mouse and keyboard, I've tested these peripherals on my eCS box and everything runs smoothly (even when hot-plugging). As a result, I bought a new USB KVM ( http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/kvm-switches/dkvm-222-2-port-usb-kvm-switch-with-audio-support ).
  Well, as any other KVM, I have just to connect the monitor, mouse and keyboard on its "inputs" and connect its "outputs" (one HD-15 and one USB cable for each output machine) to the machines.
   Everything is just fine... but I cannot make mouse AND keyboard works together on eCS. Depending on the order they are connected, eCS only allows keyboard input or mouse input... but not both. Everything works fine on Windows (even on the same eCS machine).

Anyone has experience with this kind of hardware? The problem seems to be the fact the KVM uses just one USB connector for both mouse and keyboard. If I connect the mouse directly on the computer and the keyboard on the KVM, as an example, both works fine (but then I cannot use the same mouse on both computers... sigh!)

Regards,

Daniel Caetano

mwizard

Re: USB Mouse/Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 07:53:35 pm »
I have used USB & KVM for OS/2 for a long time now.  I have not experienced your problem specifically.  I have had a problem where my keyboard was not recognized by eCS but had no problems with either USB device.

I use Belkin 2port & 4port versions over the years (currently a 2port).  They seem to work adequately for me.

I've used typical Logitech mice & keyboards, nothing fancy.  I currently have a Logitech wheel mouse & a cherry brand keyboard.

You might try to mix and match a few different mice & keyboards to find a pair that work together.   Another option would be to get a hold of the developer(s) who maintain the USB drivers and see if they can help you out.  I would presume you are using one of the latest USB driver sets available.  If not, locate the latest either on Hobbes or at Arca Noae and see if they help.  If there are other places to get the latest drivers, hopefully others will share with us.

Good luck.
Mark

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:04:56 am »

Hi there!

I am running eCS 2.1 here and always used PS/2 mouse and keyboard. However, since I use two computers in the same workbench, I bought a KVM switch so I could share mouse and keyboard on both systems.
  Since the newer hardware (running Windows 7) only support USB mouse and keyboard, I've tested these peripherals on my eCS box and everything runs smoothly (even when hot-plugging). As a result, I bought a new USB KVM ( http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/kvm-switches/dkvm-222-2-port-usb-kvm-switch-with-audio-support ).
  Well, as any other KVM, I have just to connect the monitor, mouse and keyboard on its "inputs" and connect its "outputs" (one HD-15 and one USB cable for each output machine) to the machines.
   Everything is just fine... but I cannot make mouse AND keyboard works together on eCS. Depending on the order they are connected, eCS only allows keyboard input or mouse input... but not both. Everything works fine on Windows (even on the same eCS machine).

Anyone has experience with this kind of hardware? The problem seems to be the fact the KVM uses just one USB connector for both mouse and keyboard. If I connect the mouse directly on the computer and the keyboard on the KVM, as an example, both works fine (but then I cannot use the same mouse on both computers... sigh!)

Regards,

Daniel Caetano

When I still worked at Mensys I have seen that some USB devices where not working with the drivers shipped in eCS 2.1. Does are still the IBM drivers.  You might be better of with the Arca Noae USB drivers ?

Recent news items they posted to OS/2 VOICE seem to indicate they have been some mayor reengineering on the USB stack.

https://www.arcanoae.com/usb-driver-package-version-11-11-released/
https://www.arcanoae.com/usb-driver-package-version-11-10-released-2/

The drivers you can get on hobbes are also pretty old from what I can tell.
The drivers Arca Noae released where less then 1 month old.

Regards,

Roderick Klein
President OS/2 VOICE.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 02:10:29 am »
Hi Daniel

It is quite strange what is happening, since the KVM should work as a simple USB hub for the mouse and keyboard.
Can you check and share your config.sys USB configuration and check the versions of the drivers running.

If the drivers are too old you can also give it a try the last one oublic on hobbes (http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?sh=1&button=Search&key=usbh)  (2014/03/14) or buy the drivers from Arca Noae.

Regards.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 02:20:52 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 12:47:24 am »

I have this problem with sundry hardware, this is mostly motherboard dependent but you can get differing responses between different OS versions and so on, the problem for me is simply that some hardware software combinations do not like the composite Mouse/keyboard controller even though my Belkin KVM supposedly presents the USB as multiple units connected to a hub rather than as composites.

The problem is more pronounced with newer motherboards and on an occasion putting more devices onto the virtual hub helps the USB drivers sort things out for some weird reason. My Windows server box so hates the KVM that it grinds to a halt if it is connected, I ended up connecting to it remotely and just skipping the KVM.

P.S. On one motherboard I could get a generic budget mouse to work while my Logitech trackball absolutely refused to play ball (no pun intended), in some cases I use the KVM as a DVI switch only, your mileage may vary, I find KVM over IP to be a more reliable solution.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:53:45 am by Olafur Gunnlaugsson »

djcaetano

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 08:42:49 pm »

Thanks, guys,

I "solved" keeping the keyboard on the kvm and the mouse connected directly to the Windows machine (using synnergy to share the mouse). Additionally I kept the old PS/2 mouse connected to the eCS machine so I can control that machine with the other is turned off.
   I have only a microsoft mouse/keyboard combo at this moment. I'll try different a mouse later.

Regards,

Daniel Caetano

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 07:53:03 am »

I have this problem with sundry hardware, this is mostly motherboard dependent but you can get differing responses between different OS versions and so on, the problem for me is simply that some hardware software combinations do not like the composite Mouse/keyboard controller even though my Belkin KVM supposedly presents the USB as multiple units connected to a hub rather than as composites.

The problem is more pronounced with newer motherboards and on an occasion putting more devices onto the virtual hub helps the USB drivers sort things out for some weird reason. My Windows server box so hates the KVM that it grinds to a halt if it is connected, I ended up connecting to it remotely and just skipping the KVM.

P.S. On one motherboard I could get a generic budget mouse to work while my Logitech trackball absolutely refused to play ball (no pun intended), in some cases I use the KVM as a DVI switch only, your mileage may vary, I find KVM over IP to be a more reliable solution.

I had just bought a "so" called KVM in a shop. Trying to find out why sometimes mouse and keyboard did not work it turned it was not realy a KVM.  It was simply a real switch that kicked flipped the USB connection electronicly from one PC to the other.
Normaly it seems a KVM has some electronic that emulates a connected USB keyboard and mouse for a connected system and flips over the real keyboard when you switch to the system.

When I still worked at Mensys I did see a lot devices that where not USB "compliant".  That a USB device works under Windows says not that much if the device also confirms to the specs set up by the USB group:
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/devclass_docs/

Roderick Klein
President OS/2 VOICE

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 08:07:19 am »
It was simply a real switch that kicked flipped the USB connection electronicly from one PC to the other.
But what it the difference with this KVM to simply plug and unplug an USB mouse or keyboard?

USB devices are intended for hot plugging and this works with OS/2 for USB mice sinces ages. Does it work for USB keyboards too? Or does it not work reliable for some mice and keyboards?

Btw. I'm aware of keyboard/trackball devices which violate USB specs and so do not work with some bioses and some OSes. But it should not make any difference if they are plugged in directly into the USB port or via a KVM switch.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 08:17:26 am »
But what it the difference with this KVM to simply plug and unplug an USB mouse or keyboard?

I think the problem is with devices that are both mouse and keyboard. I have had problems with wireless mice, both MS and Logitech and my understanding is that our stack doesn't quite work right with these devices due to the little wireless transceiver that plugs in the USB port supporting both wireless mice and keyboards.
It sounds like the KVM switch presents the mouse and keyboard in a similar manner, one device that actually supports two devices.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 10:34:37 am »

I think the problem is with devices that are both mouse and keyboard. I have had problems with wireless mice, both MS and Logitech and my understanding is that our stack doesn't quite work right with these devices due to the little wireless transceiver that plugs in the USB port supporting both wireless mice and keyboards.
It sounds like the KVM switch presents the mouse and keyboard in a similar manner, one device that actually supports two devices.

From what I have been reading in the press releases of Arca Noae a lot of other bugs have also been fixed in the USB stack. Not just relatated to mouse and keyboards.
If you read the Arca Noae Mantis Bugtracker is also some interesting reading.

As far as I can tell a USB wireless mouse/keyboard just works via the USBKBD or USBMOUSE.SYS. The wireless portion is transparant to the USB stack...

Roderick Klein
President OS/2 VOICE