Author Topic: Java program works in one partition but not the other on same machine  (Read 22300 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Java program works in one partition but not the other on same machine
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 06:52:42 pm »
@Ivan, poking around the openjdk site, the best I found was http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/java.html which is basically the same as -help outputs.
You can also pass help to the Java program you're running, some such as jphoto have quite a list. Just edit your batch file, use java rather then javaw and add -help to the end of the line launching the jar (or after the jar), perhaps piping through less. Launch in a console.

xynixme

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 07:02:04 pm »
a couple of the java programs always start full screen and on a 28" monitor that is overkill.  There has to be some parameter that sets maximum size but, so fat I haven't found it.

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/extra/fullscreen/displaymode.html and e.g. [ur]http://www.java2s.com/Tutorials/Java/java.awt/DisplayMode/Java_Tutorial.htm[/url] do suggest that the Java app controls the display mode (within the borders of the OS, hardware and graphic driver), as usual. Contact the author of the Java app, with a RFC to be able to reduce the part of the screen and/or the display mode the app is using? In theory Java apps should be able to deal with a smaller virtual screen indeed, basicly, instead of always fully using the real size of the screen. I'm not a Java programmer, so I don't know if a smaller virtual screen would be centered by default.

Greg Pringle

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 08:47:27 pm »
The java -X switches that relate to memory can really be ignored. They will not produce the results you expect. That is why documentation if often contradictory. Java will use the memory it needs up to the limits that the OS will supply. In the case of OS/2 the java implementation will go beyond the memory that will actually work. That is the case with 1.3 and especially with 1.6 The memory switches will not fix a java program which has excessive memory usage. In the past some have thought that the switches would help a program that is a pig to start as some server  programs have been. I don't agree. As I have said in another thread, there is a real problem with OS/2 Java 1.6 . The same problem is found in other VMs but is not universal. The problem is that when new Threads are started and ended there will be a memory leak. I designed a Thread pool which can easily be used by classes which fixes the problem. Of course you need the source and some knowledge to take advantage of it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:56:00 pm by Greg Pringle »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 07:30:52 pm »
Hi Joop!

Was away for awhile and saw this post only on the weekend.

Quote from: Mark Szkolnicki on January 17, 2017, 12:26:46 am

(which include some that are not linked to his website)

Interesting, which one?

In answer:

Art of Illusion v3.0.2 (although I haven't had time to test it it does run)

Stratego v0.7 (available on sourceforge, like some of the other programs you've linked)

Settlers of Catan (Solitaire version) v1.9.8 - (available on sourceforge) - it does come up, but haven't tried to play it as of yet.

I can send you the settings info if you wish - they are pretty standard, using our OpenJDK 6 GA5

After getting Colonization to run, played the intro, but then was getting an increasing "screeching sound' as I was reviewing the settings for a new game - will try the CMD file settings you suggested including disabling the intro, and see what happens.

Your post was very detailed (something I appreciate in this twitter obsessed world) so I will need to review it more thoroughly, and let you know if I have any other questions or comments.

In the meantime, a fine week to you, and thanks for taking the time and effort  to inform the community related to Java Programs which work for us on our operating system of choice!

Best!

Mark

Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"