Author Topic: Favorite/Required non-opensource OS/2-eCs apps?  (Read 18208 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Favorite/Required non-opensource OS/2-eCs apps?
« on: May 18, 2015, 05:31:31 pm »
Hi

I always ask, like each year, which is your favorite application that runs on OS/2 and eComStation. But this year I wanted to make a different question.

I want to know which are you favorites OS/2-eCS apps that are non-opensource, which mean that the source code is not available, so this time firefox will not be on the list :)
Or if it is not your favorite but you need to use it (required), also list it. So, without counting the IBM OS/2 Warp binaries, which are the non-opensource apps you are using (like it or not) on OS/2-eCS.

I will have to start with:
- PMView. I really like this application and it is "must have" for OS/2-eCS users.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Favorite/Required non-opensource OS/2-eCs apps?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 06:06:21 pm »
Injoy dialer for its dial on demand and NAT capabilities, needed if stuck on dial-up and wanting to share the internet connection

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 06:35:15 pm »
PM Mail for me.  Not open source, but owned by VOICE.  Great for managing my mail.
Matt W. ;)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 07:31:56 pm »
I noticed also that I use CleanIni from time to time. It is very a easy command tool to clean up the Ini files.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 08:54:31 pm »
for me   it is FC/2

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 09:41:03 pm »
I have a little list.

DFSee
BlueCad
HobLink
File Freedom
Describe.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 11:39:43 pm »
HobLink

Be nice to get xf86sup.sys updated to work with the newest kernels as then can run the VNC server to get gimp etc displaying on the desktop.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 04:31:58 am »
Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe "File Freedom" should not be on the list. It is not opensource because it does not specify any license, but the source code is available for download. http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/FileFreedom

Keep posting your favorite/required non-opensource software !!

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 09:11:48 am »
Hi

I always ask, like each year, which is your favorite application that runs on OS/2 and eComStation. But this year I wanted to make a different question.

I want to know which are you favorites OS/2-eCS apps that are non-opensource, which mean that the source code is not available, so this time firefox will not be on the list :)
Or if it is not your favorite but you need to use it (required), also list it. So, without counting the IBM OS/2 Warp binaries, which are the non-opensource apps you are using (like it or not) on OS/2-eCS.

I will have to start with:
- PMView. I really like this application and it is "must have" for OS/2-eCS users.

Regards

Currently my list includes:

• HobLink - not using it currently, but an XFree under eCS PM is a must have for many things - not counting XFree applications running seamlessly under PM.
  • TrueSpectra Photo>Graphics PRO - used many times for personal graphic projects.
  • PMDraw/2 - one of the simplest and more efficient drawing programs I've ever seen. It's an EWS program, never completed, but really useful once you get it.
  • Embellish - IMHO the perfect companion to TrueSpectra. Together they could likely reassemble a GIMP competitor for low-end projects.
  • Describe - I know it's really obsolete, but its requirements make this program one of the best DTP / Wordprocessing solution for OS/2.
  • (edit) NotaMusica - I'd REALLY love to have the sources for this application. It's the only graphical musical score DTP application on OS/2, and I'd love to have the sources to adapt it to Mup music processor instead of TeX.

There are more programs which source code I would like to have available, like ZX Spectrum emulators, ohter graphic editors, CERES SoundStudio (which could be useful to create a full-fledged audio editor), and many more.

Mentore
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:59:04 am by Mentore »

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 11:59:38 am »
PMView Pro
MED
VX-REXX
ProNews/2
PMMail
X-File

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 03:23:50 pm »
Visual Slickedit 4.0x for OS/2
ZOC
MED
PMView

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 04:53:54 pm »
Hi All

My favourite apps that are not open source - not in order of importance or use:-

RSJ - mainly used for burning CD copies for in car use

PMView - a great image viewer

Embellish - useful for editing images

Hoblink - useful for running x11 apps eg mediatomb

Cleanini - for those pre-eCS2.2b2 systems without DMT aka Desktop Maintenance Tool

INITools - useful tools for editing INI files

DFSee - the only times that this app has failed to recover data from crashed hard drives is when the drives have failed due to physical damage, ie detached read/write heads, or the drive electronics have failed making the drive totally inaccessible

BS_Info - comprehensive system information tool with links to various configuration tools

USB - aka USBcfg - having changed 2 mainboards recently this provided a quick way to check what USB controllers are on the new mainboards and reset config.sys files accordingly; apart from that I might as well plug my own app  ;-)

VirtualPC for OS/2 - not used that often these days as I cannot to figure out how to install Windows7 32bit into a vpc from the Windows7 Ultimate DVD; Could anyone who knows how to do this create a "How To" in a new thread please

RPF Zip Control - I still like this for zipping/unzipping

Association Editor - useful tool for setting what app *you* want to open what file type/filter

Looking at the above does make me realise just how much open source software I use and that I am more likely to be using OpenOffice, Seamonkey, WDSibyl, dvddao, ghostview and various other open source apps rather than any of the non-open source apps during the course of a "computing day".

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 12:01:08 am »
Thanks for sharing.

Association Editor - useful tool for setting what app *you* want to open what file type/filter

If you are referring to AssoEdit, it may not be specifically open source, but it is public domain, so it can be turned to open source.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Joseph M. Kempf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 09:18:48 pm »
Hi All

My favourite apps that are not open source - not in order of importance or use:-

VirtualPC for OS/2 - not used that often these days as I cannot to figure out how to install Windows7 32bit into a vpc from the Windows7 Ultimate DVD; Could anyone who knows how to do this create a "How To" in a new thread please...

Regards

Pete

I regularly use VirtualPC and VirtualBox with OS/2-eCS as host.
I have installed and I run various flavors of Windows 7 in VirtualBox OSE v1.61(both P. Smedley's and T. Ebisawa's).  So far I have been unable to install Windows 7 in VirtualPC v5.1 or in VirtualBox v1.56. 

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 02:10:23 am »
FC/2, PMView, Embellish, MrEd.