Author Topic: OS/2 Distro / Clone Discussion  (Read 5044 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 31
    • View Profile
Re: OS/2 Distro / Clone Discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 09:50:19 pm »
Sigurd, please look up the solution by valerius, which the most advanced one, so you don't waste your time doing the same work again (at least the fourth time), which OS/2 users love doing.

I am not working on an OS/2 booting from USB Stick (btw I have seen this live at the OS/2 User Meeting 2013 - it booted at least to the FC Program) - I am building an USB Stick bootable with DFSEE (as it already is availiable) and that has an OS/2 clone and AIRBOOT Manager on a persitant additional drive on the stick.

1. Boot USB Stick with DFSEE
2. Use DFSEE to prepare the Harddrive
3. Install Airboot Manager
4. Use DFSEE "Restore a Partition" with the OS/2 "universal" clone file on the persistance drive of the USB stick and copy the clone on the HDD of the PC/Laptop/Tablet
5. Boot the PC/Laptop with the Universal Clone and customize it

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 46
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 10:25:29 pm »
Hi Sigurd

;) ;) :D :D If I would have or get a license from IBM for this I could release an own distro that way  ::) ::) :P :P ;D ;D (joking)

I know that you are joking, but a legal way to distribute your "distro" can also be to ask permission to post it on the eCS Beta Zone for eCS customers as an "AS IS"/"Non Supported"/Experimental thing. Of course that both parties (XEU and you) need to agree, but it can be a legal alternative if want to distribute your distro without having an agreement with IBM :)

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 10:28:40 pm »
Sigurd,

What you are trying to do is essentially what we do when we restore a workstation.  The only two differences being that we use one of our servers to hold the disk image and all the other programs and drivers.  We boot the new workstation with a DFSee bootable CD modified to allow working over the network.
The other thing is that if we need a boot manager we use the standard OS/2 boot manager and DFSee to install it.

Do you have a particular reason for using the Airboot bootmanager other than it would take up less space on the new hard disk?

When I get a quiet nightshift I will have a look at your idea of booting with a USB stick.  We have never done that so it should be an interesting exercise.

Boris

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 10:50:43 pm »
Sigurd, please look up the solution by valerius, which the most advanced one, so you don't waste your time doing the same work again (at least the fourth time), which OS/2 users love doing.

I am not working on an OS/2 booting from USB Stick (btw I have seen this live at the OS/2 User Meeting 2013 - it booted at least to the FC Program) - I am building an USB Stick bootable with DFSEE (as it already is availiable) and that has an OS/2 clone and AIRBOOT Manager on a persitant additional drive on the stick.

1. Boot USB Stick with DFSEE
2. Use DFSEE to prepare the Harddrive
3. Install Airboot Manager
4. Use DFSEE "Restore a Partition" with the OS/2 "universal" clone file on the persistance drive of the USB stick and copy the clone on the HDD of the PC/Laptop/Tablet
5. Boot the PC/Laptop with the Universal Clone and customize it

Well, I see, gonna work. Though using an OS/2 live is more flexible.
LIABILITY DISCLAIMER: this is how I understand and what I know, I may be highly inaccurate, or even completely wrong! There are no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the contents of my posts. Think on your own!

Sigurd Fastenrath

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 11:05:55 pm »
Do you have a particular reason for using the Airboot bootmanager other than it would take up less space on the new hard disk?

Hi Ivan,

it is just that I have better experiences with it. It allowes more primary partitions and works (for me) easier with different Operating Systems.
I.e. on the Sony Vaio Pro 13 I have
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
Linux Mint Cinnamon 17
and
OS/2 Warp 4
Both Windows and OS/2 all have the driveletter C:  :)

I would look forward to share experiences with you and others on this!

But as I wrote, because of work and holidays I will be back working on this topic in about 4 or 5 weeks, not earlier (so far  ;)  ).

Please share your experiences, thank you and all the others in advance!

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 87
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 01:41:14 am »
I had to switch to airboot to boot from a 1TB HD, something that Bootmanager can't do. It is also supposed to make it easier to co-exist with Win7 but I've never activated the Win7 that came with this box, just pulled the drive and put it aside.