Author Topic: OS/2 Distro / Clone Discussion  (Read 17756 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Re: OS/2 Distro / Clone Discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 09:50:19 pm »
Sigurd, please look up the solution by valerius, which the most advanced one, so you don't waste your time doing the same work again (at least the fourth time), which OS/2 users love doing.

I am not working on an OS/2 booting from USB Stick (btw I have seen this live at the OS/2 User Meeting 2013 - it booted at least to the FC Program) - I am building an USB Stick bootable with DFSEE (as it already is availiable) and that has an OS/2 clone and AIRBOOT Manager on a persitant additional drive on the stick.

1. Boot USB Stick with DFSEE
2. Use DFSEE to prepare the Harddrive
3. Install Airboot Manager
4. Use DFSEE "Restore a Partition" with the OS/2 "universal" clone file on the persistance drive of the USB stick and copy the clone on the HDD of the PC/Laptop/Tablet
5. Boot the PC/Laptop with the Universal Clone and customize it

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 10:25:29 pm »
Hi Sigurd

;) ;) :D :D If I would have or get a license from IBM for this I could release an own distro that way  ::) ::) :P :P ;D ;D (joking)

I know that you are joking, but a legal way to distribute your "distro" can also be to ask permission to post it on the eCS Beta Zone for eCS customers as an "AS IS"/"Non Supported"/Experimental thing. Of course that both parties (XEU and you) need to agree, but it can be a legal alternative if want to distribute your distro without having an agreement with IBM :)

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 10:28:40 pm »
Sigurd,

What you are trying to do is essentially what we do when we restore a workstation.  The only two differences being that we use one of our servers to hold the disk image and all the other programs and drivers.  We boot the new workstation with a DFSee bootable CD modified to allow working over the network.
The other thing is that if we need a boot manager we use the standard OS/2 boot manager and DFSee to install it.

Do you have a particular reason for using the Airboot bootmanager other than it would take up less space on the new hard disk?

When I get a quiet nightshift I will have a look at your idea of booting with a USB stick.  We have never done that so it should be an interesting exercise.

dbanet

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 10:50:43 pm »
Sigurd, please look up the solution by valerius, which the most advanced one, so you don't waste your time doing the same work again (at least the fourth time), which OS/2 users love doing.

I am not working on an OS/2 booting from USB Stick (btw I have seen this live at the OS/2 User Meeting 2013 - it booted at least to the FC Program) - I am building an USB Stick bootable with DFSEE (as it already is availiable) and that has an OS/2 clone and AIRBOOT Manager on a persitant additional drive on the stick.

1. Boot USB Stick with DFSEE
2. Use DFSEE to prepare the Harddrive
3. Install Airboot Manager
4. Use DFSEE "Restore a Partition" with the OS/2 "universal" clone file on the persistance drive of the USB stick and copy the clone on the HDD of the PC/Laptop/Tablet
5. Boot the PC/Laptop with the Universal Clone and customize it

Well, I see, gonna work. Though using an OS/2 live is more flexible.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 11:05:55 pm »
Do you have a particular reason for using the Airboot bootmanager other than it would take up less space on the new hard disk?

Hi Ivan,

it is just that I have better experiences with it. It allowes more primary partitions and works (for me) easier with different Operating Systems.
I.e. on the Sony Vaio Pro 13 I have
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
Linux Mint Cinnamon 17
and
OS/2 Warp 4
Both Windows and OS/2 all have the driveletter C:  :)

I would look forward to share experiences with you and others on this!

But as I wrote, because of work and holidays I will be back working on this topic in about 4 or 5 weeks, not earlier (so far  ;)  ).

Please share your experiences, thank you and all the others in advance!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 01:41:14 am »
I had to switch to airboot to boot from a 1TB HD, something that Bootmanager can't do. It is also supposed to make it easier to co-exist with Win7 but I've never activated the Win7 that came with this box, just pulled the drive and put it aside.