Author Topic: Search facility on the forum - an excellent thing  (Read 6600 times)

eirik

Search facility on the forum - an excellent thing
« on: August 02, 2015, 07:26:20 pm »
Earlier today I experienced that my flash plugin no longer was working.  Tried several measures, but no success.  I was just about to post a message on this site if someone else had experienced the same (under FireFox 31.8 ), when I remembered the excellent search facility on this site.  Hence, I searched for flash, and then there was an earlier post from NeillWaldauer (and a most helpful response by Dave Yeo to remove pluginref.dat in the FF profile directory).  Voila, flash was back and up running.

The morale: while it is easy to ask for assistance on the forum, it is even easier and faster to make a search (go to the forum pages and search from there), and it may just happen you find what you are looking for).  In this case it did.  So, many thanks from Norway to those administering the forum  :).

Trying to recover my steps and reasons this error occurred almost out of the blue, I recalled that I had installed the "Copy plain text" add-on.  I am not certain this is the reason flash had been moved in pluginref.dat to the invalid segment of that file, but the time the file had changed, corresponds well with when flash stopped working.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Search facility on the forum - an excellent thing
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 08:15:43 pm »
Quite possible that Mozilla blocked your Flash. About the middle of last month they expanded the blocking of Flash due to another vulnerability and our Flash is probably full of holes. See blocklist.xml in your profile.
I'd also recommend everyone to set Flash to "click to play" by going to addons-->plugins and using the drop list to "Ask to Activate".  And then only use Flash sparingly.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-ons-cause-issues-are-on-blocklist?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=Add-ons+Blocklist

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Search facility on the forum - an excellent thing
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 07:37:11 pm »
Hi

Just one things about the OS2World forums.

At OS2World we have three forums, two are discontinued and one active (this one):
1) os2world.com/forum   - This one - Active (SMF)
2) os2world.com/oldforum/    - Discontinued forum. It used to be disconnected from the rest OS2World services (SMF)
3) os2world.com/cgi-bin/ultraboard/UltraBoard.cgi   - Discontinued - The first one we had.  (Ultraboard)

Sadly for me, I was not able to merge all the forums contents in a single one. It seems to be hard on SMF forum to have "archived threads" that will be useful to merge the old forums there. And I need more skills with MySQL and merging tables, etc.

But you can also use Google to search on all OS2World like: "Flash broken site:os2world.com"
Putting "site:" on Google will limit your search inside a domain that that is very useful from to time to time.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.