Author Topic: SeaMonkey question  (Read 11409 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
SeaMonkey question
« on: August 14, 2015, 07:07:56 pm »
I have SeaMonkey-2.3.en-US.os2.zip installed on a production machine, I need to upgrade! My question is, can I install SeaMonkey-2-7-2esr.wpi over the existing version without any problems or loosing any data? or do I need to delete SeaMonkey-2.3.en-US.os2.zip and start over from scratch?
Thanks,  klipp

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: SeaMonkey question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 01:48:14 am »
Assuming you are using %MOZILLA_HOME%, just move your SeaMonkey-2.3 directory out of the way and install SM 2.7.2 in the original location or install SM 2.7.2 to a different location and start using it. Either way your profile will be left alone. Always a good idea to backup your profile anyways.
If you are not using %MOZILLA_HOME%, it's a bit harder as you will have to use the profile manager to create a new profile and then point it at your old one.
Either way it is recommended to not install over an existing install though I understand the WPI will allow upgrading a WPI install.
Why only update to 2.7.2? It'll have security issues, won't display some pages correctly and will have SSL issues.
Note that if upgrading to 2.21 or newer and going back, you may have to rebuild your MSF files as the format changed.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 05:01:23 am »
I'm lazy Dave! .wpi is usually easy & reliable. What would be a better choice rather than 2.7.2?
Thanks for the reply   klipp

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 07:08:03 am »
WPI is the easy way but you want to update a zip install and the WPI may not delete everything leading to instability. Once you install the WPI, you should be able to upgrade/downgrade. Perhaps Doug will chime in as he wrote the WPI install scripts.
I'm using SM 2.28 (Hobbes), based on the Firefox 31ESR line and support ran out just the other day (the 11th).
2.28 has been very stable here as well as having the fewest feature failures as any of the last few releases. I did have problems with history at first, which I blame on an addon and eventually deleted places.sqlite ( my backup was  accidentally updated to contain the broken places.sqlite) . The session restore also seems partially broken (doesn't update often and forgets where in a page you were) and I believe that is the reason it wasn't actually released on the tier 1 platforms.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:10:14 am »
WPI is the easy way but you want to update a zip install and the WPI may not delete everything leading to instability. Once you install the WPI, you should be able to upgrade/downgrade. Perhaps Doug will chime in as he wrote the WPI install scripts.

What the WPI installer does, is record all of the files that are in the source (ZIP) file. Then, it adds a few other files that it may expect to find (the RUN! versions, a script, and the list), That is all included with the installer. After it extracts all of the included files, it runs the script to remove every file that is not in the list (except the default profile directory, if a user has left the profile in the \firefox directory structure <- not well tested, and certainly not recommended).

It works backward from the recommended method (erase all, then unzip), but the end result is the same. You can install over a ZIP install, but be sure to READ the text, so you understand what it will do. As usual, a backup is recommended.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 01:12:58 am »
Hi Dave, I took you're advice and went ahead and installed 2.28 --- all went well! Only problem is that I can't install lightining, I get "lightning could not be installed because SeaMonkey cannot modify the needed file". I did the .wpi version.  After fooling around a bit , it turns out that none of the additions will install, this worked on a test box using Lightning-2.65.with no problems.
Am I maybe missing a dll?

klipp

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 04:43:46 am »
Usually it is a DLL conflict, perhaps libc065 vs the libc065 forwarder that comes with libc066. If using yum/rpm, make sure that @UNIXROOT\usr\lib is at the front of your LIBPATH, probably OK to have . before it. Otherwise search your system for duplicates and make sure the most recent ones are loaded first. You might need to unlock them with the unlock command, move out of the way and reboot.

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 02:58:00 am »
Dave, Putting root\usr\lib at the begining of LIBPATH fixed the problem with additions, like you suggested. Thanks much for the suggestion to upgrade to 2.28, it solved several problems I've been putting up with for quite a while. All is working GREAT now!

klipp

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 09:02:21 am »
Hijacking this SM thread - Dave, I use your SM builds since a long time. Usually I update when you release a new version. But it's a bit time consuming updating with language packs, addons and checking all email accounts and so on and unfortunately I currently have some shortage of spare time ;) So I want to ask before testing the latest greatest again.

One problem I encounter again and again with different builds is Lightning can not upstream calendar changes to google.com/calendar. It read from there but can not write (read only flag cleared of course although it gets set automatically after unsuccessful synchronization).

The problem is even worse as in some state it seems to blocks SM (DNS?) requests or SM java scripts so surfing is not possible anymore (it takes ages to load some pages with all these cross scripting these days). So I had to deinstall Lightning with every version I tested so far when I finally found out Lightning triggers these problems.

Question, which version of SM works smoothly together with which version of Lightning and google calendar? Does anyone else discover similar problems with SM? It waits a very long time for loading data from the net? Seems it waits for some TCP/IP timeout and eventually it comes up with the requested page. Starting latest bww FF in parallel get the same pages without problems. So it is not the fault of my louse network connection but a SM problem.

Btw. I've a clean yum/rpm environment without wrong dlls. SM and FF (with RUN!), AOO, VPC, VBOX works since years. So I consider myself a good tester if you suggest a stable combination of SM, Chatzilla and Lightning. Beyond your setup I need working de_AT language packs which makes things a bit more expensive.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 01:40:14 am »
Try this for everything, I wrote to try to cut down install thread !

Install FF, TB, SM

Just like Dave said backup your profile and make sure you have nothing non-standard add to the Seamonkey install directory. It does make a backup first too.

http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=807.msg7838#msg7838

Greggory

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 01:40:44 am »
I have SeaMonkey-2.3.en-US.os2.zip installed on a production machine, I need to upgrade! My question is, can I install SeaMonkey-2-7-2esr.wpi over the existing version without any problems or loosing any data? or do I need to delete SeaMonkey-2.3.en-US.os2.zip and start over from scratch?
Thanks,  klipp

Just Drag & Drop and zip file to install ! Try this for everything, I wrote to try to cut down these install threads.

Installs FF, TB, SM

Just like Dave said backup your profile and make sure you have nothing non-standard added to the Seamonkey install directory. It does make a backup first too.

http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=807.msg7838#msg7838

I think I fixed the DNS issues, but hear is the main & backup urls:

Main:     http://os2notes.net/

Backup: http://os2notes.duckdns.org/

Greggory
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:06:09 am by Greggory Shaw »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 08:22:48 am »
Hi Andi, sorry for not replying sooner, been busy.
Shame it takes so much effort to get the localized SM. I will note that someone (Andreas Kohl?) uploaded a de localized SM to Hobbes and there is a localized Lightning at http://mozilla.akohl.net/file/lightning-3.3.6.os2-mitropa.xpi, includes German, Hungarian, Russian, Italian and Polish.
This is well as there never was an official SM 2.28 release so some hacking is required to localize.
As for Lightning, I don't really use it so am not an expert but have been told that one problem is that Google keeps changing its API which breaks the synchronization and it's been suggested that I don't even distribute .gdata-provider.xpi but as it shows up in my build...
I did have some problems with SM 2.21 not loading some pages after some uptime which was very irritating and I would have to reboot to fix. Never figured it out here and it would actually affect all browsers once it started. That problem seems to be gone with 2.28.
Given a shortage of time, you might want to wait for 2.35, which hasn't even been released on the tier 1 platforms (it's quite late) but I'm hoping to release once Bitwise finishes with the 38ESR work (most of the code is shared).
Hopefully someone else can make Lightning recommendations.
One thing I've been curious about, I take it that de_AT is Austrian German. Is it much different then German German or Swiss German? I'd prefer en_CA but put up with en_US as it is close enough, especially if I use a Canadian dictionary as Americans spell lots of words differently.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 11:03:18 am »
Thanks Dave for your work on building SM/... and the support you give in different places. I already planned to wait for bww FF38 and your SM 2.35 (which will come shortly afterwards I hope ;) ). Only if you have an urgent need for some test immediately I will install 2.28. 

de_AT is not much different to de_DE or de_CH. To be more precise I do not care very much about the differences. My wife needs German menus for SM (browser and email). German dictionary would be fine too. I need working Chatzilla and my wish is a working Lightning with google synchronization as OwnCloud does not really work on my OS/2 test machine.

Btw. I played some videos from youtube yesterday and discovered that SM produces stable sound while latest bww FF plays the same video only with jerky sound. Moreover a lot of times FF plugin_container starts to use 100% cpu power until I kill it. Hope Dmitriy can fix this with next version.