Author Topic: Desktop Weather  (Read 19688 times)

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Desktop Weather
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 09:26:34 am »
It use this to find smartguide.
        IF TRANSLATE( VALUE( 'OS',, env ) ) = 'ECS' THEN
            sgs_dir = VALUE( OSDIR,, env )'\System\SGUIDE'
        ELSE sgs_dir = getBootDrive()'\OS2'
so you need to help me to adjust the ELSE line where it can find sguide.exe
It should not assume as now.

I prefer if the script should handle it all as much as possible.
But yes, it may have to ask some questions, but this should not be one as it's either there or not.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 02:39:36 pm »
It appears that SmartGuide is an eCS tool as there is nothing like it on basic OS/2 but I did find it on the demo eCS 2.2 CD that I have.

Now the question is where do I put the sguide directory?  Another thing, where would a bigicons directory go - root of boot partition or somewhere else?

I have SET OSDIR=C:\os2 in config.sys on this test machine because of something else I am testing which I assume means that the sguide directory will need to be hard coded in your script.

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 03:00:11 pm »
sgs_dir = VALUE( OSDIR,, env )'\System\SGUIDE'
such as C:\OS2\System\SGUIDE in your case.

bigicons_dir = STRIP( VALUE( 'BIGICONS',, env ), 'T', '\' )
That is, you need a SET BIGICONS=C:\...\BIGICONS in config.sys or somewhere.

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 06:40:24 pm »
Please crop the images before you convert them to icons as they'd fill up the space better.

Here's the updated icons, but without changes to the script to make use of them...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:02:20 pm by Jan-Erik Lärka »

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 09:51:52 pm »
Thanks.  I will set that up as soon as I have time - we are upgrading a clients server room which means 18 hour days at the moment so not a lot of spare time.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 10:34:11 pm »
Please open the script and look at the services hard coded there and try them in your browser and with wGet or cURL.

What list of services? The only reference to "services" that I find is text that says "TITLE=Service Unavailable...".

FWIW, the latest incarnation now finds that I live in Bergsjoe (wherever that may be). Entering the proper information got me back to Lethbridge (don't know how), and I can't get back to Sherwood park, no matter what I try.

Yes, it will download the files to the root as a last resort if there's no bigicons folder. Gues one could disable that part all together when there's no bigicons folder.

Please do so. There is no need to download that stuff anyway. It should be in the package, and there seems to be no way to stop it from downloading every time the program starts. Definitely a waste of bandwidth, if nothing else, and I really do not appreciate having a bunch of useless files in the root of whatever drive I happen to put the program on (which is NOT the boot drive).

The script store information to:
I you have one desktop object it will save that to the EA of weather.cmd under weather...something, then next desktop object will be saved to the EA name in weather.cmd such as "newyork" in my example. It seem to overwrite that information if openweather can't detect the location right away.

This seems to be a very unreliable way to do things. I look in the EAs on the downloaded .CMD file, and I find a number of cities (none of them seem to be anything that I would be interested in). If I strip the EAs, I get a couple of attempts to make icons, and none of them work. After killing whatever I can find, and double clicking the icon, it opens the configuration, I enter the proper data, and I get an icon that shows Lethbridge, which is 500 KM away. I cannot seem to convince it to find my real location, anything closer than Lethbridge.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 04:42:51 am »
Actually SmartGuides comes from Warp 4, it was also called 'WarpGuides'.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 05:55:41 am »
This seems to be a very unreliable way to do things. I look in the EAs on the downloaded .CMD file, and I find a number of cities (none of them seem to be anything that I would be interested in). If I strip the EAs, I get a couple of attempts to make icons, and none of them work. After killing whatever I can find, and double clicking the icon, it opens the configuration, I enter the proper data, and I get an icon that shows Lethbridge, which is 500 KM away. I cannot seem to convince it to find my real location, anything closer than Lethbridge.

Interesting. I tried again, and this time I was able to enter the coordinates, and got Sherwood park back. Very strange...

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 02:24:46 pm »
Sorry, didn't clear the EAs of that one before I packed it togheter.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 08:50:24 pm »
Actually SmartGuides comes from Warp 4, it was also called 'WarpGuides'.

Thanks Alex.  I have found it in x:\os2image\fi\coaches\os2 directory on the Warp 4 CD.  The only thing we installed from there was Java and that version is now long gone.