Author Topic: eCS 2.1 hangs on boot - OS2LVM.DMD  (Read 6063 times)

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
eCS 2.1 hangs on boot - OS2LVM.DMD
« on: September 16, 2015, 12:17:20 am »
Somehow I've screwed up my eCS partition on my machine for compiling sources. The last thing I had done was manually deleting a WATCOM install. It didn't want to delete, as I had it installed in two different directories (yeah, I know -- real smart!) any ways now when I re-boot  it locks up after getting to "Installed OS2LVM.dmd". I don't know what was supposed to come next, I'm guessing UNICODE.SYS ?
  Can anybody help me out? Seems like the older I get, the DUMBER I get, Thought it was supposed to be the other way
 around!

Thanks,  klipp

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: eCS 2.1 hangs on boot - OS2LVM.DMD
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 11:47:30 am »
If I remember correctly OS2DASD gets loaded before or after OS2LVM. UNICODE.SYS gets loaded later, I think before JFS.IFS.

Can you boot from the eCS 2.1 install CD ? I seem to remember cases where the boot from hard disc would hang but from CD not.
If you can then run DFSEE, it might enable you to find out what caused the hang...

At least you can then also make a backup of your MBR.

Good luck,

Roderick

R.M. Klippstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 09:52:25 pm »
H i Roderick, Thanks for the reply! I'm still fighting this problem but have a possible solution I'm hesitant to apply. It looks like I've lost the LVM Table for this particular partition (it is 1 of 8 partitions on this hard drive). There are 2 other eCS JFS partitions also on this drive that boot just fine. And yes I can boot from the eCS 2.1 install disk as well. I would like to try the "ReCreate LVM Tables" option, but I don't know if it will screw up the other partitions on this disk, if that happened that would make this small disaster into a really fatal disaster. Does "ReCreate LVM Tables" do just that without loosing any data or messing up other partitions on this same drive?

Thanks again  klipp

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 10:10:13 pm »
H i Roderick, Thanks for the reply! I'm still fighting this problem but have a possible solution I'm hesitant to apply. It looks like I've lost the LVM Table for this particular partition (it is 1 of 8 partitions on this hard drive). There are 2 other eCS JFS partitions also on this drive that boot just fine. And yes I can boot from the eCS 2.1 install disk as well. I would like to try the "ReCreate LVM Tables" option, but I don't know if it will screw up the other partitions on this disk, if that happened that would make this small disaster into a really fatal disaster. Does "ReCreate LVM Tables" do just that without loosing any data or messing up other partitions on this same drive?

Thanks again  klipp

Well first question I have is when you start DFSEE do you get any warning messages. As from what I remember DFSEE when it mounts a hard disc does some basic checking on the drive.

This recreate LVM tables should be harmless as this should remove the parittion it self from the MBR.
What I recommend you do is that you also create a backup of your MBR or Partitiom table. Look in the menu options of DFSEE how to do that.

Wurst case scenario is that when you fix the LVM table a partition might loose its drive letter. But you can always reassign this via minilvm or dfsee.
The key is keeping a backup of your partition table and store it on a USB stick for example.

Good luck!