Author Topic: OS/2 Google Trends ?  (Read 16163 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
OS/2 Google Trends ?
« on: September 19, 2015, 03:22:36 pm »
Hi.

I got  a warning about "OS/2" search on google raising this month.

It seems to be a consecuence of the Apple Watch OS 2 and some people are searching for it the wrong way.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Joop

• View Profile
Re: OS/2 Google Trends ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 03:38:50 pm »
The OS/2 Google trends are that we have to deal with less and less service from Google because they build apps or whatever stuff which don't recognize our OS. With maps you get the simplified version, no way to switch back to the old map in which you could drag and drop routes. Its just time before we can't access the other stuff or have to deal with simplified stuff.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 05:06:55 pm »
...or use the User Agent Switcher.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 07:41:53 pm »
...or use the User Agent Switcher.
Thanks, but it isn't the agent, FF is served, but they have also a check on OS, just download the F**** webpage and check the code.
Today visited some blogs, unbelievable what they smack in on just totally crap code. It looks like they are the third hand on the belly for let you pay for hard and software. First it was two hands, Microsoft with their corrupt code called Windows (I have to work on a daily basis with it, in case your in doubt)/(you really don't believe that V10 is free huh?) and the hardware manufacturer Intel. If you look at the demands for the OS alone(!), you can see why. As we are learning all the time, this setup doesn't work anymore, so they put in a third hand, write crappy code for visiting the Google pages (you won't believe what's from that factory) so your browser and computer gets slow and users are going to buy new faster hardware. Well, for those three hands on a belly, we can watch on the fly what's happening. Its definite not my connection, its definite not a slow system, its just crappy code which makes it slow, thank you Google. I'm sorry, but I can't write down how I feel about it. Seems to be illegal.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 08:54:11 pm »
How do they check the operating system? As far as I know, the only way is through the user agent that the browser broadcasts.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 09:09:26 pm »
Joop, do you have NoScript as an addon in firefox?  I find it greatly reduces that sort of stupidity.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 11:30:34 pm »
Tried agent switcher. But Google doesn't buy it. Still lite version of maps.
There are a lot of sites which tell me what OS I use. So they can activate a javascript. I doubt that it will buy what agent switcher tells.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 04:41:33 am »
Why would they need to know your OS for JavaScript? It is a interpreted language that is generally sandboxed and runs the same on all platforms. What they need to know is your browser, including version, or better, just ask what the JavaScript can handle. OS/2, Windows, Linux doesn't matter, what matters is Firefox vs Chrome vs IE vs Safari and their features.
Also they can probe for things like OpenGL support and when our browsers return unsupported, they don't serve up 3D content
Aren't you running an ancient version of Firefox? Some sites are only supporting current and current-1 versions while others may support the latest ESR release. Anything older then FF 38.x is now considered ancient and soon some sites will not support 38esr as FF41 will be out soon.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 05:12:38 pm »
I don't know Dave, ask Google. Why need they to know about everything you do with your computer? I can think of only one answer, money. Combined they can give advertisers a lot of information. Why do I need to get an unwanted advertisement about every minute a day? You switch on your tv, almost first you see is an add. Many sites have adds, Google, sidebar adds, your search delivers not what you asked for, but delivers first advertisers. How often do you get something which does have all words, only not the way you searched for? Even if you make it "hard".

I used everything whats available for OS/2, today its  24.8.1 or 31.8.0. Google service with lite version of maps. No matter what. It is not supported because I might make use of 3D, I don't , never did. My maps on paper are also not 3D. But now I can't dragging my route and the delivered routes by the light version are insane, shorter routes are available, but not in the light version. Its nice for getting an about how long or how much time, for the rest of it, junk ware.

But what bothers me is that its still a big firm which decides for you what you get to see depending on what hardware you have. And that's wrong, internet and all whats up there should be for everyone, not a limited few who has by accident bought Intel stuff with Microsoft code. Its as you say not of their concern, but the opposite is however true. Again, money, they force you to buy new computers with more processor power, more memory, bigger hd's so they can sell you more software which does nothing more then the previous version but needs more power, more room and more space on your hd. And even then it still doesn't work. Have you read what's needed for Windows 10?, insane when you set those figures next to whats needed for our OS which still does a lot of things more and better then Windows 10 can do. For good order, I don't have it about what's on the "dvd", but what's installed to get it going.

dcull

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 08:31:22 pm »
Probably not an answer to this, but have you tried Quant?
https://www.qwant.com/
Its a French based search engine that seems to work as well as Google, without the ads and clutter
just a thought

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 09:41:26 pm »
Thanks David, interesting site.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 11:33:15 pm »
Joop,

I don't know what you are seeing but what I see in Google maps using Firefox 17.0.11 on this OS/2 box (see the two attachments) is almost the same as on my tablet and a win 7 notebook of a friend.  Could you show us a screen capture of your problems.

Also, I don't see any adds or have unknown java scripts running.  The first are blocked by AddBlock Plus and the java scripts are controlled with NoScript.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 12:30:28 am »
Joop,

I don't know what you are seeing but what I see in Google maps using Firefox 17.0.11 on this OS/2 box (see the two attachments) is almost the same as on my tablet and a win 7 notebook of a friend.  Could you show us a screen capture of your problems.

Also, I don't see any adds or have unknown java scripts running.  The first are blocked by AddBlock Plus and the java scripts are controlled with NoScript.
Ivan,
Plan a trip between two points over different roads. You get a line between those two points running over roads. Now try to force the line to take an other road, more direct or a detour. Probably you can't. The presented trip is as is, you can't change it to follow other roads. Probably you also see in the lower right corner that you're using it in the lite mode. Formerly you could drag and drop points of the trip on an other road so you get a different trip. Sometimes a detour is shorter because they don't have data of it. Has nothing to do with addblock, noscript may be, but I doubt it.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 01:42:37 pm »
Ivan,
Plan a trip between two points over different roads. You get a line between those two points running over roads. Now try to force the line to take an other road, more direct or a detour. Probably you can't. The presented trip is as is, you can't change it to follow other roads. Probably you also see in the lower right corner that you're using it in the lite mode. Formerly you could drag and drop points of the trip on an other road so you get a different trip. Sometimes a detour is shorter because they don't have data of it. Has nothing to do with addblock, noscript may be, but I doubt it.

Ah, now I see what you are talking about, but I have to admit I don't use Google maps for anything other than getting an idea of where a place is.  The SatNav takes care of getting there as do paper maps.

According to https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3031966  there are two reasons that we are in lite mode which has restrictions on such things as route dragging to change. Normal mode relies on 3D and a webGL enabled browser.

The 3D requires video drivers that are capable of running that and as far as I know we don't have OS/2 drivers that can do that very well.  I assume that webGL functions are determined by the browser and I don't know if our version has them all operational.

Google does mention OSs but that appears to be only an indication of the minimum level of video driver required and in fact is not correct - the win 7 notebook has old video drivers which don't meet the requirements for 3D and therefore maps are stuck in lite mode.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 04:28:32 pm »
We don't have any opengl support in Firefox and never have had it and probably never will.