Author Topic: Trackpoint Lovers  (Read 6947 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Trackpoint Lovers
« on: October 27, 2015, 05:47:14 pm »
I notice something at Warpstock.  The majority of users there really likes the Thinkpad Trackpoint.

While I notice that some Thinkpad users do not use the trackpoint at all, and only use the Touchpad (or trackpad), at Warpstock I saw two users requesting, "How do I disable the touchpad?".

The majority of OS/2-eCS users at Warpstock were using Thinkpad T40 or T60 (and its different types T43, T61, etc) and of course there is Neil that has the chance to experiment/sell other models like the X200 and the W600. But the common thing is that the OS/2-eCS users likes Thinkpad and likes the trackpoint too.

So, I guess I also found my support group for Trackpoint Lovers.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:40:51 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
Re: Trackpoint Lovers
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 06:38:27 pm »
But the common thing is that the OS/2-eCS users like Thinkpad and likes the touchpad.
I think you mean "... and like the trackpoint."

(I've noticed that, too. I never took the time to get used to it and was already an experienced touchpad user years before. That's why I don't use the trackpoint. Another reason is that I use notebooks rarely these days.)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 06:39:44 pm »
Hi Andreas.

I just noticed, I corrected my mistake on the original post.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:35:50 pm »
I HATE Touchpads. Whoever invented those things should be... well, use your imagination...

In my older ThinkPads (T510 and T43), there is a BIOS setting to disable them. In my L530, there is no setting, and it is a royal PITA. In windows, there is a driver setting to turn it off, but that does no good in eCS. The best solution that I have found, is to tape a piece of cardboard over the Touchpad. Not perfect (and looks silly), but it keeps my hands off of it when I try to type.

The majority of users there really likes the Thinkpad Trackpoint.

I am not fond of the Trackpoint either, but I don't mind them because they rarely start moving the cursor, and clicking things, just because I manage to get my hand on it. I usually use a USB (wireless) mouse.

Oxyd

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 07:53:29 pm »
TouchPad disabled in BIOS
TrackPoitnt great! :)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 04:30:37 am »
The touchpad on my T42 is way to sensitive, almost to the point where looking at it can trigger a click event. I also have an older Toshiba (running Linux) where the touchpad isn't any where as sensitive and can be hard at times to do a double click.

BigGoofyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 05:55:23 pm »
When I had a Thinkpad, I liked using the track point (eraser). I tried using the touchpad and ended up rearranging things that I did not intend to do.  :o
BigGoofyGuy