Author Topic: OS/2 - eCS - Blue Lion - Wishlist 2015  (Read 31929 times)

Oxyd

Re: OS/2 - eCS - Blue Lion - Wishlist 2015
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 12:35:54 am »
Drivers
- which can read more temp sensors, like that embedded in modern CPUs.
- which can drive more fans like ones, which aren't announced via ACPI.
For reading data from modern intel CPU temp sensors, try this: CPUtemp by Andrey Vasilkin (Digi) Also this driver used in System Load monitoring tool by Digi.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 02:16:25 am »
On the same subject is http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=coretemp&pushbutton=Search, works also with the driver from cputemp and if using both, the driver from cputemp is preferred.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 02:44:57 am »
Anything for AMD processors?  All our systems use them except for a couple of standby servers.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2015, 06:24:28 am »
According to http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/howitworks.html it would probably be trivial to adapt CPUTemp to read AMD CPU temperature (change the register the driver reads and update the arithmetic) and not much harder to expand it to reading all modern CPUs. Of course even easier if the developer has the hardware for testing.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 08:01:38 pm »
Anything for AMD processors?  All our systems use them except for a couple of standby servers.

The Reactor temperature widget, that comes with later eCS versions, works with AMD processors, but I find that you need to go to the widget properties, and change the motherboard setting from "ACPI standard" to "ASUS P5B".

Having said that, it doesn't work with my new Asus A88MX-A motherboard, with either setting. So I tried some of the suggestions:

On the same subject is http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=coretemp&pushbutton=Search, works also with the driver from cputemp and if using both, the driver from cputemp is preferred.

This one did some strange things on the Asus A88MX-A. I installed the rdmsr driver, and rebooted. So far, okay. Then, I tried coretemp.exe. The screen went black, and I had to use reset. At boot, I saw the eCS logo, and the screen went black. Tried again, with the same results. I had to power off, and turn off the power (pull the plug), to get it to boot again. Of course, I removed that ASAP. Oddly, no CHKDSK was needed after it finally went.

For reading data from modern intel CPU temp sensors, try this: CPUtemp by Andrey Vasilkin (Digi) Also this driver used in System Load monitoring tool by Digi.

I haven't tried the CPUTemp package, yet, but CPUTemp from the System Load package simply says that it can't find file CPUTEMP. Also, running SL.EXE doesn't show what is shown in another thread.

So, I tried it on both of my Intel based ThinkPads (T510, and L530). SL.EXE shows exactly the same things as I see on the Asus, including not finding the file CPUTEMP.

I need to do more experimenting, when I find the time...

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 09:52:57 pm »
I haven't tried the CPUTemp package, yet,

Okay, I tried it. As expected it says "Unsupported CPU" on the Asus A88XM-A machine. This one does, however, indicate temperatures on both of my Intel ThinkPads. The temperatures do not agree with what the Reactor widget shows, but they are in the expected range. I suspect that the Reactor widget is showing the motherboard temperature, while CPUTemp is showing the core temperatures (but it doesn't show a temp for the "offline" CPU, when ACPI turns one off - yes, I added "-w"). The widget also only shows one temperature, which I assume is CPU 0 (the popup shows both).

Interestingly, SL.EXE now shows the CPU data, but it is not the same as what was posted in the other thread. Each CPU (two of them) is in a box, stacked on top of each other, not side by side, as is shown. AH!, If I shrink the main window, top to bottom, the individual CPU boxes do go side by side, but they are big enough to show the temperature.

So, it seems that displaying temperatures is a hit and miss thing, and the user is left wondering what they are looking at when it does work.

CPUTemp from the System Load package simply says that it can't find file CPUTEMP

It seems that the CPUTEMP package put CPUTEMP.DLL into \OS2\DLL. There is no such file in the SystemLoad package. It would seem that some parts are missing, and the docs don't mention anything like that.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 10:36:26 pm »
Add zip, rar & 7z directly to the WPS

This has been opensourced, thanks to Martin !

ZipZap v1.25 is a WPS extension that allows you to manipulate ZIP .. maybe add 7z and rar to this simple app.

os2ezine review - http://www.os2ezine.com/v2n9/first.htm

http://os2notes.duckdns.org/os2dwizard.html

Greggory
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:38:03 pm by Greggory Shaw »

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 08:15:29 am »
CD writing added to the WPS

http://os2notes.duckdns.org/os2cdcreator.html

Maybe a cut down version ?

Oxyd

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 02:31:53 pm »
Full version of XWorkplace with latest fixes backported from eWP! (Cropped eWorkplace -- suxx!)  ;)

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 02:43:35 pm »
Full version of XWorkplace with latest fixes backported from eWP! (Cropped eWorkplace -- suxx!)  ;)

There's no need to 'backport' anything, all eWorkplace features are in the main XWorkplace source tree.  They're built from the same sources.

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 06:31:01 pm »

You can install both the full versions of XWP & Styler/2 over the the one from eCS.

muffetta

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 10:55:24 am »
I'd like to see into xCenter/eCenter notebook, an option to also support (switch between) a scrollable self arranged menu and submenu for it: i have a lot of software here and finding something it is always an issue: i need often to use finding tools :P !
If I open a folder full of objects, it covers the whole screen and it becomes difficult to use mouse to select!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:13:49 pm by Barbara »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 05:08:01 pm »
I'd like to see into xCenter/eCenter notebook,
What do you mean by that? XWP proviides many notebook (properties) objects.

muffetta

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2015, 05:36:02 pm »
You are right, Andreas: the eCenter/xCenter properties notebook (or somewhere), tab View or Style.