Author Topic: OS/4 ? QSINIT ?  (Read 40900 times)

dbanet

Re: OS/4 ? QSINIT ?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 11:22:25 pm »
As with Air-Boot, QSINIT could go on for years, as it is, but there is currently no guarantee that it won't disappear tomorrow. Mensys is the "go to" organization for future OS/2 development, in the form of eCS, so it only makes sense that they should be the ones who walking_x makes a deal with, for a way to keep his work alive, even if he is unable to continue, for any number of reasons.

Don't worry, the project won't disappear. The developer is easily available on the IRC channel, I think, for about ten years, if not more.
You'd better talk to him directly, but please, don't make it worse.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 05:45:42 am »
Don't worry, the project won't disappear. The developer is easily available on the IRC channel, I think, for about ten years, if not more.
You'd better talk to him directly, but please, don't make it worse.

I don't want it to be worse, but (to be blunt) what happens if he is run over by a bus? Your 10 years suddenly becomes no more years, and if somebody doesn't know about the project, it could easily be wiped from his computer, and we are left with nothing.

Sorry, but I must insist that he should take steps to protect the project from such an unfortunate incident. Somebody needs to have a current copy of his work, and know what to do with it, if something bad happens.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 11:08:05 am »
Mensys is the "go to" organization for future OS/2 development

As far as I understand it should go to XEU.COM - but who knows. Having NO information about what's going on at Mensys/xeu.com does not make this look like a very reliable "Organization for Future OS/2 devlopement"; doesn't it?

It seems to me that - wish I would be joking - there are more informations posted by the author of QSINIT than the whole Mensys/Xeu.com organization during the last one or two years. But giving more information than NO information isn't that hard, isn't it?  :-X

walking_x

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 11:09:49 am »
I don't want it to be worse, but (to be blunt) what happens if he is run over by a bus?
Anything can be lost.
Even OS/2 source code (on rumors) ;)

If to be serious, not only I have access to my svn - therefore the source code won`t be gone.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 07:52:58 pm »
Please try to keep the conversation calm and do not get upset by the conversation. Avoid personal attacks and avoid labeling the other party. 

If the conversation get too bad I will start to moderate it. Remember our friend Wil Wheaton and hear his recommendations.

I try hard to follow Wil Wheaton's process (which is not BPMn complaint), but I'm working hard to follow it. I feel more gratification on being "awesome" than when I act like a dick.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:30:57 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

ff4

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 06:29:32 pm »
Back to the topic: the documentation among other things need to be improved and hopefully they will at least in 2015 with some time left.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 05:09:23 pm »
Hi David.

I don't want to recall all the issues that we had, if you have doubts of what happened on the past, please contact people individually and ask, in case they want to answer you.

I just want to say that there is no problem on being "Pro commercial software" or "Selling software". I'm not Anti-Capitalist like others that freak out when some developers wants to make money to maintain their software. The only problem is the attitude that people adopts from time to time.

My point of view is that this are not the late 80's or early 90's when you can make money by selling OS/2 software, time has changed and this is why we don't see a lot of people rushing to create and sell software on this platform, like we are seeing on iOS or Android today.
I think that the platform is at a point when we need to collaborate and share and built an open source on OS/2 so we can grow, so on the long-term future it became a market again.

Today, creating an OS/2 software, putting it on the web and selling license a $20 license to each user will not make your rich, will not pay your bills and will not make your company prosperous.  I think we need to put the shoulder together to built an open source (or as close as it can get) OS/2 clone to became an "accessible OS Alternative" for everyone and possible from a community to grow (eventually and after a lot of years and efforts) into a market like Linux did.

Regards

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:23:53 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Leonardo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2015, 01:35:14 am »
Amen

David Kiley

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2015, 07:23:23 am »
Hi Martin,
Got it - seems like whatever happened was more then just about software philosophy.

My point of view is that this are not the late 80's or early 90's when you can make money by selling OS/2 software, time has changed and this is why we don't see a lot of people rushing to create and sell software on this platform, like we are seeing on iOS or Android today.
I think that the platform is at a point when we need to collaborate and share and built an open source on OS/2 so we can grow, so on the long-term future it became a market again.

True probably the best time to try to sell os/2 commercial software was when IBM was selling retail packages in stores i'm guessing. Now it's on a slow adoption decline curve.

I'm pretty pro open source generally myself although I like supporting commercial software as well. I do see that Eugene had a point that many of the open source projects that have been successful have had major corporate backers with big money behind them, but I think there are some that made it without it and just the community behind them which is probably the only way it would happen with os/2.

Commercial developers also have a legit fear of their sales and effort being cannibalized by free open source offerings - hence if the community is moving towards free and open source they might not wan to develop in it any-more at least in the immediate timeframe because future "sales" are threatened.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:29:49 am by David Kiley »

David Kiley

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2015, 07:25:02 am »
Hi Martin,
Got it - seems like whatever happened was more then just about software philosophy.

True probably the best time to try to sell os/2 commercial software was when IBM was selling retail packages in stores i'm guessing. Now it's on a slow adoption decline curve.

I'm pretty pro open source generally myself although I like supporting commercial software as well. I do see that Eugene had a point that many of the open source projects that have been successful have had major corporate backers with big money behind them, but I think there are some that made it without it and just the community behind them which is probably the only way it would happen with os/2.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2015, 03:08:18 pm »
Hi.

...seems like whatever happened was more then just about software philosophy.
Even that I think different from other people on the community does not gives me the right to filter commercial news, announcements or to boycott a commercial company.

But I like public discussion of things that "itches" the public (in a good matter), while other prefers to shut up. I remember that on the past someone told me that I should never-ever-never make a negative comment about Mensys, because the community owns them a lot because they were the only ones that still developed on OS/2. I told him that was not what a community was about, but he was also free to create a "sheep" community without freedom of speech.

Commercial developers also have a legit fear of their sales and effort being cannibalized by free open source offerings - hence if the community is moving towards free and open source they might not wan to develop in it any-more at least in the immediate timeframe because future "sales" are threatened.

Commercial developers are not being cannibalized by open source offerings. It depends to much on what you are developing. If you are going to develop and sell a file compression utility (Winzip, WinRar, etc), you have to know that you are not offering a lot of value. If you want to develop software to sell license you need to create a lot of value for it. It is not like the 80's when they used to set a high prize for a tool that took the developer 3 hours to develop and nobody else had the skill to do it. Today the market (not the OS/2 community) have a lot of customers and developers connected on the Internet, a lot of reference and knowledge it is not available only for an small group of individuals that bought the right book. So maybe the right way to say it is that developers are being cannibalized by globalization, like it happened on every industry.

Software market has turn into a service market. Redhat sells licenses, they share all the source code but the trick is to have a support service to have someone that will answer you if bugs shows up. Sometimes people do not buy a software, they want a service support when things goes wrong. Other people organize raise funds to create/port OSS. Developers also access Crowdfunding services to try to create new products . Microsoft on a strange maneuver did not charged their Win7/8 customer to migrate to version 10 (That was something MS never did on the past). The truth is that software market has changed and transformed and it is never coming back. Today if you want to develop software, you have to think it harder, it is not "money for a license to use" anymore, you need to add value.

If we consider the OS/2 platform my main concern is that people does not have "Free Access" (as freedom and as beer) to get, experiment, use and transform OS/2. If we compare the platform with the alternative OS it is expensive. Also there is always the doubt about the future of the platform, since IBM controls the source code and it is not sharing it and IBM is not developing it. On my way of thinking the only thing that reduce the risk of having a single company to define the future of the software is making it or cloning it as open source.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster