Author Topic: What to do with OS/2 Books?  (Read 11110 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
What to do with OS/2 Books?
« on: November 15, 2015, 03:51:33 am »
Hi

I had been discussing what should be done with OS/2 books when the owners want to get rid of them.
The discussion is still on-going but there are some options I want to share:

1) DO NOT donate your books to your local library. Before doing this discuss with your local library what are they going to do with those books. Right now there are a lot of library that do not want older books (80's - 90's), and when they grab old books they first try to sell them (for a very cheap price to students) and if they are not able to sell them they just recycle it.  So it is good to first talk to the library to know what do they do with old books before donating them.

2) Posting the request on the forum: Another good options is to post the books that you want to find a new home for on this OS2World forums. Sometimes there are users and developers that are interested on a specific book and some arrangement can be reached between the two sides.

3) The OpenLibrary of the Internet Archive. The OpenLibrary is an library that is on the web. They scan books and make it available on the site, and as far I can know it seems that do not have copyright issues because they only allow one person at a time to view the book online (You can not copy them, only borrow them). Check the OS/2 books that they have scanned.

The OpenLibrary also accepts books donation and they scan them to upload them to the online library. Check it out here.
So, I'm starting to think that it is a good idea to donate any OS/2 book that you want to get rid off to (but to be preserved) at:
Internet Archive
BOOK DONATIONS
300 Funston Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94118

The only issue is that they do not offer any timeframe on when the book is going to be scanned, but it will eventually get scanned, and what else can you expect for a free service. This is a lot better than getting the books recycled and loosing OS/2 knowledge.  Maybe an issue can be that the book owner needs to pay the shipping cost of it.

For the moment this looks like a good alternative, but I'm open for more ideas. What do you think?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Joop

• View Profile
Re: What to do with OS/2 Books?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 12:24:59 pm »
as far I can know it seems that do not have copyright issues
It does, in about every book I have (few hundred) there is a page with the text that it is not allowed to reproduce in any way with sometimes explicit list of systems.

Regards

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 03:14:23 am »
Hi

I still think that the OpenLibrary is a better options instead of recycling the OS/2 books paper.

This may be a interesting article about the OpenLibrary Subject: http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/2010/07/internet-archive-sets-fair-use-bait.html

The other alternative is to donate books to the OS/2 Museums available, but I need to check if they are accepting books donations.

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 04:30:06 am »
When I was curator of the OS/2 Museum West, I accepted donations to the library, and I selected the best copy to keep. I actually sold one or two books. All the others were donated to the local public library for recycling.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:13:23 pm »
Hi Neil.

If I don't get it wrong we still have two OS/2 Museums
1) OS2museum.com run by Michal Necasek.
2) Robert Kuropkat Museum.

Is there any other one?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 09:18:03 pm »
Hi.

For the moment I will do a little experimenting donating a book to the Internet Archive, and see how long does it takes to show on the OpenLibrary.

For the moment I think that the best way to try to preserve OS/2 books will be:
1) To have one copy of the book on each Museum
2) To send one copy of the book to the Internet Archive.

I'm looking for any ideas.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 01:06:37 am »
Hi

I also forget an important place that Lewis told me about. Lewis told me that he donated some OS/2 stuff to the InfoAge Museum.  (InfoAge - 2201 Marconi Road - Wall, New Jersey - 07719 USA) http://www.infoage.org/

My only issue is that it seems that the OS/2 stuff that is available is not listed or indexed (or I was not able to find the list on their website).

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:45:31 pm »
By the Way.

The Internet Archive is going to be doing a 24 hours Telethon this weekend (Saturday 19 to Sunday 20).
It is going to be streamed here: http://telethon.archive.org/  (With YouTube Live)

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster