Author Topic: Seamonkey 2.28b5r2 will not accept addons.  (Read 12863 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Seamonkey 2.28b5r2 will not accept addons.
« on: December 23, 2015, 05:34:33 pm »
I decided to try out Seamonkey 2.28b5r2 and while it works, I can browse web sites etc. it will not allow the install of any addons.  They download and appear to install BUT the message in the attachment always pops up and there is no addon to be found.

ak120

Re: Seamonkey 2.28b5r2 will not accept addons.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 06:05:37 pm »
Can you download the xpi and install it later from local drive?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 06:49:01 pm »
I decided to try out Seamonkey 2.28b5r2 and while it works, I can browse web sites etc. it will not allow the install of any addons.  They download and appear to install BUT the message in the attachment always pops up and there is no addon to be found.

You have a backlevel DLL getting loaded, usually libc065.dll hiding in ecs\dll or os2\dll but could be a gcc dll.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 01:58:48 pm »
Sorry for the delay in replying, had work to do.

Andreas.  tried that with the same results.

Dave.  Only one version of libc065.dll  (175,212 bytes 26/10/14) on the test machine and all the gccxx.dlls appear to be up to date.  Maybe it is time to wipe this machine and restore from our standard image.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 05:12:53 pm »
Sorry for the delay in replying, had work to do.

Andreas.  tried that with the same results.

Dave.  Only one version of libc065.dll  (175,212 bytes 26/10/14) on the test machine and all the gccxx.dlls appear to be up to date.  Maybe it is time to wipe this machine and restore from our standard image.

Strange, my libc065.dll has 157,213 bytes, same date, with the other libc forwarder DLLs being the same or slightly smaller (libc061 48179 bytes).
Most everyone else with this problem has been due to not replacing the real libc065.dll with the forwarder dll.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 08:12:55 pm »
You are correct Dave it is 157,213 bytes.  My excuse is that I had someone talking and I wasn't concentrating.

Any way, I wiped the disk and copied over a new OS/2 image that includes all the extra DLLs in a specific DLL directory, used a new partition to install Seamonkey but left the mozprofiles directory as it was from before and now Seamonkey does accept addons although getting them installed is slow because doing so runs the CPU at 100%.  Once installed and having closed the addons tab the CPU reverts to normal operation - since I don't anticipate having more than my normal 10 addons I don't see the 100% usage being a problem.

BTW, why are some of the Seamonky DLLs read only?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 10:44:40 pm »
now Seamonkey does accept addons although getting them installed is slow because doing so runs the CPU at 100%.  Once installed and having closed the addons tab the CPU reverts to normal operation - since I don't anticipate having more than my normal 10 addons I don't see the 100% usage being a problem.

Strange, what CPU do you have?
BTW, why are some of the Seamonky DLLs read only?

Security, all the read only DLLs are security related and installed with mode 444, which equals read only for us. Note that for a while we had to patch the source to remove the read only part as mv needed updating to overwrite a read only file but Mozilla has been shipping them read only for a while.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 07:47:49 pm »
Hi Dave,

The CPU on this test machine is an AMD x2 64 2.5 GHz unit and there is only 3 Gig memory as well.  This is our lowest powered machine and other than being a test unit we also use it to run win XP in VBox.

Even on my AMD Athlon II x 6  3.0 GHz powered workstation the get and install addons page maxes out all the cores for a short time, but as I said it is not something I use all the time so I can live with it.

Thanks for your work in porting it to OS/2.

One other question.  Is there a way of getting a close tab button on the tabs in the browser window?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 08:59:07 pm »
Here installing an add-on doesn't seem to affect the CPU hardly at all. C2D at 2.6Ghz with 2GB memory, at least with the add-on referenced below. Possible CPU usage hidden due to needing to restart which does max out my CPU for a short while.
I built a test version yesterday targeted at my CPU and with the new fontconfig (needs work) and the add-on wouldn't even install with an error about unable to open file and the error console pointing to the xpi not opening with unix error 0. Strange as error 0 should mean no error.
For putting the close button on individual tabs, you need an add-on, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/seatab-x-2/ seems to work fine here with the SM I distributed, note the different possible preferences.