Author Topic: Which buy a new laptop? for 2016  (Read 49717 times)

roberto

• View Profile
Re: Which buy a new laptop? for 2016
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2016, 11:08:39 am »

I am using the SMP-106 kernel (from eCS 2.2 b2), but I also tried it with the SMP-105 kernel (briefly). I can't say that I have seen a performance change, but I am surprised that it is actually working.
Glad you work, but that care. I think many of us have hard disks CORRUPTED.

If you try this, be sure that you have an alternate boot system, so you can change it back to what works, for you.
That's why I asked for a few days or weeks to partition my hard drive, and test to make lighter and other startups. He did not give me any problems and I have it ready, but for now the wifi is not a priority.
The priority is what happens in the hard drives. I have not the solution, but I think part of the problem can be identified. I will continue in another mail, I would like to explicate well.
saludos

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2016, 04:19:03 pm »
Glad you work, but that care. I think many of us have hard disks CORRUPTED.

The AHCI, and Dani, drivers in eCS 2.2 b2 are not good (but if they actually work, they probably won't corrupt a disk). JFS also has a nasty bug in it (this one can corrupt a disk, but it is very rare). I highly recommend updating to the versions supplied by Arca Noae.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2016, 07:52:51 pm »
I start from the beginning.
I get a new laptop, dfsee, formatted, install, update the ACPI (nothing more at first, I mean that you did not add any other updates otherwise)

Everything worked perfect, incredibly well, except sometimes to as hopping timeout. And I decided to increase me memory. Greatly improved.
The maximum to try to force him to break, impossible, everything perfect.

Change the physical disk on the other, my old asus. Starts but does not convince me. Just reinstall the system from a backup, the ecs22b2, the same he had used in the tests. (Here it is possible to update the multimac, and then some)

Go fine, but I can think of a folder, right mouse click, a window opens with an option "create another" you click on the arrow and three options appear in my case

folders
POSTALES
          DO NOT CLICK !!!

(In ALL of my work computers out many more options or POSTALES)

I focus on postales, postales is a folder on my hard drive, created by me by 2008 aprox..

One first question that makes a folder into a menu in me system, newly installed.

2 question, where is it?

With the C:\OS2\APPS\PMSEEK.EXE the search for POSTALES and if I have Firefox open the system hangs.
Because the system hangs searching for a simple folder ???

Reboot, and without opening the firefox, and searching for second POSTALES.NO EXIXTS on my disk. (Now not hang)
INIS will corrupt? Newly installed.?
At work I have also sought to Sears Plus, and no exixts the folder POSTALES. And the files it contains not exist.

I create a new folder, and from that folder I go to " Create another POSTALES"  (in my case but each will have its mistakes with POSTALES)

And magic, a folder that does not exist, not just a POSTALES folder is created, if you have files in which either exist on the hard disk and makes the system unstable to the point of hanging with pmseek.exe + firefox

--------------------

As solve ?, I have no idea. I'm just a power user, but user. But the problem is in the data. Now we have to look for it, and fix it. Because it's like a virus though I do not think so, by now.
But of course nobody wants to erase its data.

--------------------
I had already been concerned about time, because the file handle, not going well, and I think I tried them all, filefreedom, filestart, lasercomander, filemanager, fc oldest and the best fc2.4 . But strange things
All fail at the same time?

saludos

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2016, 09:31:38 pm »
Sure sounds like INI corruption. Have you tried cleaning them?
Perhaps could be a longname EA that differs from the real name which might be found by using the WPS search function (right click on a folder/desktop and choose find)

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2016, 10:48:11 pm »
Do you have Xworkplace installed?  If so then run xfix. 

Read the instructions which in simple form are:  select 'find invalid' from the Actions drop down menu. Wait until that finishes and then select 'select all' from the Select drop down and scroll down to find the highlit invalid entries, mouse button two on one if them and select 'delete'.  Then go back to Actions and select 'delete now' from the drop down and finally go to the xfix menu and select 'write back to os2sys.ini...' answer yes to do that in the popup and you should have almost clean ini files.

There are other tools that help with cleaning the ini files which complement xfix.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2016, 11:39:26 pm »
Sure sounds like INI corruption. Have you tried cleaning them?

In the few cases that have recovered my ini files I had to restore it. Besides this rule it out in principle. It is an almost untouched system.

Perhaps could be a longname EA that differs from the real name which might be found by using the WPS search function (right click on a folder/desktop and choose find)

It seems I go with that utility can find the ghost files, I display them in a window, and when I click on one to view its properties or where it is, the system hangs

If I save results, system hangs.

I attach photo with menu. See postales,

Saludos

[/quote]

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2016, 05:30:37 am »
It is an almost untouched system.

That could be part of your problem.  When I got my newest computer, it was a lot faster than the old ones. I was having problems with INI files, and a couple of other things. Fortunately, I almost never turned the machine off, so it wasn't too  much of a problem. I found that I needed to turn on the shutdown delay setting. It looked like the machine was fast enough to turn the power off, before the disk finished writing data (probably the INI files). Go to the Desktop Properties-> XShutdown (or eShudown). Near the bottom there is a check box for Delay. Turn that on. It makes it pause for 4 seconds before it turns the power off.

If that works, get the latest XWorkplace, and install it. That is supposed to have a fix for that problem (but I am still not convinced that it really is fixed). It should be at: ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/wlan/xwp-3.unofficial-1-0-10.zip. I doubt if that will fix your file problems but it might prevent more file problems.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2016, 09:30:22 am »
I've found the problem, the POSTALES folder
For whatever reason it was created this folder as WPS PEER DIRECTORY CLASS, and is labeled Template, and is on the server and I can access it without problems from other pcs. Not corrupt.
The server is running ecs2.0
But my question is, in a restoration of that folder on the laptop, with ecs22b2, you can make the system hang just with a click over the icon?

There may be other similar objects that interfere with the system and make it unstable.?
Which?
Saludos

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2016, 11:33:31 am »
Again,
An average time for eCS 2.2 Beta to work before reboot is approximately 4 hours.
I saw this bug too.

JFS should be updated, USB drivers, and Panorama.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2016, 04:35:09 pm »
An average time for eCS 2.2 Beta to work before reboot is approximately 4 hours.

After updates, I have had my home made NAS box (using eCS 2.2 b2 with updates) run for 40 days, and the only reason I booted was to get some new updates done. My main system has been running for 1 day, and 16 hours, now, but I usually find some reason (other than failures) to boot every couple of days.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2016, 04:57:42 pm »
Again,
I usually always stop them 10-15 seconds. It is an important fact.

I saw this bug too.
I was 90% sure it was not an issue of INIS.

[/quote]

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2016, 12:48:50 am »

I am not sure what that is, but you still have NETBIOS over TCPIP (TCPBEUI) in your configuration. It is confusing things. You should try only the WiFi adapter, with TCP/IP to keep things simple. Your Protocol.ini should look like:
Code: [Select]
protocol.ini
[PROT_MAN]

DRIVERNAME = PROTMAN$

[IBMLXCFG]

TCPIP_NIF = tcpip.nif
  W8086x4239_nif = W8086x4239.nif

[TCPIP_NIF]

DriverName = TCPIP$
  Bindings = W8086x4239_nif

[W8086x4239_nif]

DriverName = WRND32$
  VENDOR = 0x8086
  DEVICE = 0x4239
  NDIS_SYS = "netw5x32.sys"
  NDIS_INF = "netw5x32.reg"
  SSID = "WLAN"
  DEBUGLEVEL = "NONE"
  OPTIONS = "NONE"

I wanted to revisit the issue of wifi.
Now I have the adapter, just tcpip.
I genm32w.os2 modify the file and not working.

I modified:
Bidindings = ,W8086x4239_nif

and not work.
Any other options?
Saludos

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2016, 01:00:18 am »

JFS should be updated, USB drivers, and Panorama.
I've seen this bug corrected. After updates.
Other small bugs:
Turning off the team really does a reboot. Do not off.
In the e.exe editor jumps the cursor, only same times.

Saludos

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2016, 05:41:11 am »
and not work.
Any other options?

Well, what does it do? What is in LANTRAN.LOG? What is in the GENMAC logs?

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2016, 11:25:32 am »

Lantran.log
IBM OS/2 LANMSGDD [05/21/04] 6.00 is loaded and operational.
IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind
PRO0025: An error occurred when the program tried to bind TCPIP_NIF to W8086x4239_nif.

Wrnd32.log
//------------ Version 2.1 ------------------